Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 10-22 won't eject when fired BUT when I eject the spent round by hand it works well. Right now it makes a great single shot. Is the ejector bad. I don't know anything about them. But would like to learn I'm 64 and good with my fingers.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Might need more info.
Does he case extract from the chamber or not?
Do you get a stovepipe or a double feed?
Could be an extra for issue.
Could be underpowered ammo not pushing the bolt carrier all the way back or some other issue slowing down the bolt.
Could be a burr or something in the chamber creating an excess of friction the prevents the fire formed case from being extracted which would not impact an unfired case.

What ammo are you using? 22lr standard or hyper velocity should work fine, sub sonic or quiet might or might not work well.

Does the case which was not extracted extract when you manually operate the bolt handle or do you have to drive it out through the barrel with a rod?

You may only need to clean out around the extractor or consider upgrading to a volquartzen extractor.

Really need more info or pictures of the failure condition to be more specific or indicate what is most likely.

All that of course is assuming that there isn't anything broken.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
+1 to what mcwsky09 said about ammo. That would be the first thing to test out. My 10/22 runs fine with most ammo, but I do have some really old Winchester Super X and some off brands that I found during the .22 LR availability problems that simply won't cycle the bolt. With those brands it becomes a bolt-action rifle!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when I discharge the rifle. the case won't come out- I grab the charging handle pull to the rear. the case extracts very easy. I 'm using standard cci 22 lr

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Does the bolt move when you fire? and then puts the spent case back into the chamber?

If that is the case then it sounds like the extractor is working (perhaps almost too well) and the issue is the ejector. The ejector is that flag that flops around when you disassemble the rifle and take the trigger group off the receiver in order to get the bolt out for cleaning.
I have not tried to fully reassemble the rifle with the extractor left out or installed incorrectly - but that could be the issue.

Edit - one second thought - if the case is ejected normally when you manually cycle the bolt - that could mean that the bolt is not cycling far enough back during live fire for the back of the case to reach the ejector. Unless you are doing something else when manually operating the changing handle such as turning the rifle sideways or shaking it etc.

When you manually eject the spent case does it sort of dribble out or does it pop out with some speed and get tossed away form the rifle?

Another crazy idea just popped into my head - might need Iowegan to answer this as I am not sure - what if the bolt isn't closing fully so it starts moving backwards too soon - of course if that were the case - then the firing mechanism might not work and an out of battery detonation would likely leave the back end of the case bulged if not split - so that doesn't seem likely. But I was thinking that there might be something in the chamber/barrel that is bleeding off expanding gas pressure and reducing the impulse on the bolt. Have you taken the barrel off the receiver? If so perhaps you didn't get the V block perfectly aligned and there is a gap there allowing some gas to escape reducing the overall recoil.

Can you tell how far back the bolt moves when you fire? do you have (or have access) to someone with a new enough smart phone to have a slow mo video capture mode? may not be slow enough to really see what is going on but might help. Otherwise might be abel to wrap paper or tape around the stock/receiver to see whether or not the bolt is making a full reward travel.

Do you have access to at least one other brand of ammo you can test to see if the behavior is exactly the same?

One other thing to check - are you using Ruger mags or aftermarket mags? I am thinking that perhaps the magazine is dragging on the bolt slowing it down - though I think this is unlikely.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Here is a link to a thread with some photos of the extractor and discussion of extract and eject. http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/134189-10-22-extractor.html

The Extractor's primary function is to pull the spent case out of the chamber - but it also must hold the case properly until the Ejector is reached. If the Extractor slips off the case for any reason (which could be a chamber issue or a case issue or an Extractor issue or even just a gunk build up issue) then you would get failure to Eject where the case might be still in the chamber or jammed between the sliding bolt and the breach face.

If the Extractor is holding on too tight then you might see Eject issues.

But as I mentioned above - if anything is preventing the bolt from going through its full range of travel then the Ejector and case will not meet and failure to eject you will see.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I have been away from computer. My wife broke her shoulder and it been a bad week. Thank you for the idea of tape. I put scotch tape on receiver But thats not the problem I had. The bolt was moving back far enough. I cleaned the rifle before I started. But this time I'll use gas then blow it with air compressor. And try again.

·
Registered
805 Posts
When you say Standard CCI are you using standard velocity or mini mags? Standard velocity ammo may not be cycling the action completely if that is what you are using.

There are a lot of better and safer solvents to use than gas IMO.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought some Federal shells and the rifle worked well. I want to thank you for your help. I know I should have thought of ammunition earlier. But I guess my brains went for a walk..Again thanks-Dave

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. But still, CCI standard velocity should be strong enough to cycle the action.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
To clarify - this wasn't an ejection or extraction problem. It was a cycling problem - the CCI load just didn't have enough oomph to fully cycle the action such that the case would ever reach the ejector. The fact that you could extract and eject by hand confirms that there was nothing wrong with the extractor or ejector - if the empty case is stalling in the chamber, but extracts readily by hand, it's a cycling issue - the ammo is under powered or the spring is over powered (or bolt too heavy, or dirty/poorly fit/dragging action - can be poor fit mags too).

CCI STANDARD VELOCITY AMMUNITION IS LOW ENERGY. CCI Standard Velocity 40grn ammunition only runs about 100ft.lbs. (40grn @ 1070fps). Comparatively, most other common "standard" offerings operate in the 125-140ft.lbs. ballpark. Read the specs on common "bulk" 22LR loads like Federal Auto Match, Win 333 and Dynapoint, Remington Gold Bullet, American Eagle, etc - all of them run hotter than CCI "Standard Velocity". Interestingly, Remington Sub-Sonic loads run just about the same energy as the CCI "Standard Velocity"...

As such, it's relatively common that rifles and pistols can have cycling issues running "Standard Velocity" CCI loads, but run fine on almost everything else - it's one of the weaker loads on the market.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Possibly you have some wimpy .22 ammo.

This is a simple blow back action - bang - compress spring - cock - forward un-compress spring - strip new round from magazine - chamber new round - bang again.

Clean every thing really well and check out the chamber, it should be real smooth inside so fired rounds don't get hung up.

Also check out the cocking handle, guide rod & recoil spring, part B-48 to see if it is clean and the spring is not hung up on the guide rod it surrounds.

I think it would be almost impossible to get a 10-22 with an abnormally strong bolt spring but stuff happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts