Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just added a Volquartsen extractor to my 10/22.

For every 25 round mag I am getting a failure to load, 2 or 3 per mag, round is bent/squished sideways) or a stove pipe.

Have used CCI mini-mag and Stinger, it is failing on all types of rounds. Does not fail as much with the Stinger but is still failing.

Suggestions ... reinstall extractor or is there something else going on.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I think that has more to do with how the rounds are sitting in the mag and if they are stacking and moving up the magazine properly - or possibly if the magazine is locking into the receiver correctly.

What magazines are you using?

On some of mine I did some light sanding/filing of the shoulders to get them to lock in more positively. The factory Ruger mags were not so much and issue - but some third party mags would not lock in easily - so I took everything apart and compared how the mags locked in while looking down through the receiver and determined that some mags needed some slight adjustment.

Also - on the HC3R magazines the way they are loaded makes it fairly easy to get the rounds tipped the wrong way unless you do it properly.

If you have some mags which work and others which cause trouble I would compare how the top round sits by just looking at the two mags side by side.

I have a couple double stack clear mags that I don't use because they simply do not feed properly - I should have returned them - they were difficult to load and did not operate smoothly even after quote a bit of cleaning and polishing and lubricating experiments.

Also, if you are riding the bolt instead of letting it slam home that could be more likely to result in a problem - which is more likely to happen with ammo which had very loose or soft projectiles. CCI Mini Mags, Velocitors, or Stingers would probably be the least problematic (I haven't used any match grade ammo so that might be better). I have used lots of Rem Golden Bullets, which some folks don't like.
I have had good results with Winchester - not so much with Federal and American Eagle.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
First question is why you changed the factory extractor to the Volquartsen. If it wasn't to correct an existing extraction issue, replace the factory part and test.

Jeff

·
Registered
464 Posts
How does it shoot with a 10 round rotary mag? That is part of the original design and 25 added later to my knowledge, correct me if wrong on that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are correct, the BX 25's came out a year or two ago. Never had a problem with the 10 round rotaries. If you hand load the BX25's there is usually no problem, the problem surfaces when you use a loader for more than 15 rounds in a BX25. I have six of them and they all work the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered the 10 round rotary will try that
Using Ruger bx25 and the butler creek 25/22, seems to work better with the Ruger mag
Bought the new extractor because everyone said it was a nice upgrade, newby!!!!

Will try loading 15

The mags, both, are wobbly, more than I would expect ... Is that normal?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same problem with my 10/22 after approx. 1000 rounds it went away I only use CCI mini mag will try different brands after moose hunt

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The EDM cut Volquartsen extractor is a far superior to the stamped factory extractor.
Can't fault you there. One of the first things I had to do.
Have heard people suggest that if you hold onto the BX-25 it angles the mag down slightly at the front and could easily cause the issues feed you are experiencing.
The 10 round factory mags perform the best in my opinion.
Mine also doesn't like to feed hollow points very consistently. Stubs them into the end of the barrel sometimes.
Check to make sure the slot where the extractor indexes into the barrel is clear of all crud.
This may take a flash light and a pick to chip all of it out.
The 10'22 is a very dirty rifle. Due to the ammo, not the rifle.
If the extractor is impeded by carbonized crud, it can't reach around to the back side of the rim to grab ahold of the round prior to ignition.
When the round if fired, the chamber pressures will push the bolt and spent round to the rear.
If the extractor doesn't grab the rim and control the round after it is fired until it actually strikes the eject pin, the round tends to bounce around.
Sometimes they leave. Sometimes they don't.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd have to agree with Choosewisely above. I went shooting last weekend and started to have some FTE problems. After reading Choosewisely comment I loaded up my factory mags and my aftermarket mag I bought. After hand cycling the two through my 1022, I realized it was only the aftermarket that had problems feeding. It wouldn't cycle the hollow points and would budge with the barrel. Try looking at the lip of the magazine, they're slightly different (as the case of mine) but could be the culprit.
Now anyone able to help or verify with my thread? Lol

·
Registered
845 Posts
KISS principle,
If the rifle worked just fine before you changed the extractor, than you have a large clue of what you should do.

I use Volquartsen extractor in all of my 10/22's.
I used my first one ~ 10 year ago, when I had some problems on my oldest 10/22.
After that, I put them in each one I set up for an AS event.

They are a very common upgrade, or replacement part when problems are encountered.

If you compare the two very closely, besides hardness, you can see why.

With that said, no one is saying you could not have gotten a bad one.
If the rifle worked before you changed the extractor, than you have a large clue of what you should do.

Other thoughts,

Did you use the spring that came with the Volquartsen extractor ?

How old is your 10/22? was the spring channel clean or full of crap?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try changing coil spring that holds magazine in magazine well. I cut a recoil spring out of a Makarov. Made a world of difference. The jamming is due to magazine not staying in place.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Try changing coil spring that holds magazine in magazine well. I cut a recoil spring out of a Makarov. Made a world of difference. The jamming is due to magazine not staying in place.
The magazine locking solidly into place is important. I have some 3rd party magazines which I have filed and sanded the shoulders and such to make sure they lock into solidly. I did this by taking the gun apart and comparing the way they rotary mag fit into the receiver. I did not take off much, perhaps a mm or less of thickness and they work much better.

A couple champion clear double stack mags for the 10/22 that I tried were totally useless. Very difficult to load and would not feed the rounds up the mag properly at all. Don't use them any more.

I had a similar magazine issue on my AR with some CAA magazines. The back side of the mags at the bottom of the rear cut out were too high and when I pushed the bolt catch to load the first round the entire magazine would get pushed down. Those mags also had very thick lips compared to the factory steel mag so I made some adjustments there. Still had issues with those so got rid of me and use Pmags now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts