Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any of you out here in 10-22 land that know for sure you have one that was produced way back in 1972. If so I have a little some thing I'd lake to pass on, it's just been setting in a dark wood box. This is then first time I've ever posted in the 10-22 section. But let me tell you I've got a 10-22 SS that has controlled hundreds of tree rats on my property over the years and the Red Tails have eaten every one. The gun has turned into a dinner bell.....

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,311 Posts
I have a 10/22 made in 1974 that uses the same revision Owner's manual. Serial Number 113-33902. Like new condition but no manual or box. This was back when 10/22s had walnut stocks, metal butt plates, metal barrel bands, and metal trigger groups.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lowegan I'd be happy to send you the manual or you could just sell me the gun and I'd have something to go along with the manual....PM your address please.

Regards
Jim

·
16,311 Posts
Thanks, I think I'd rather keep the 10/22 and have you send me the manual. PM follows.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I have a 10/22 made in 1974 that uses the same revision Owner's manual. Serial Number 113-33902. Like new condition but no manual or box. This was back when 10/22s had walnut stocks, metal butt plates, metal barrel bands, and metal trigger groups.

They once used metal in guns? Who would have thought.

It is amazing how things have changed in such a short time. The old ones also to me have a different feel. I guess it’s the weight of the wood and steel, but it just feels right.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have a 10/22 made in 1973 sn 112-something. I'm pretty sure I have a manual for it around here somewhere. Paid $50 for it new back in 1973 from a dealer going out of business. $50 was a lot of money for me back then.

·
16,311 Posts
Interesting story about my 1974 vintage 10/22. I bought it from an Iowa farmer back in 2000 for 50 bucks. It had been a "barn gun", used for killing rats and pigeons as evidenced by a layer of crud on the gun. When I got it home and cleaned it up, I realized it had a nice walnut stock and a good metal finish. The only repair needed was to replace a missing magazine. I don't know how many rounds were fired in this gun before I bought it but I have run at least 3 bricks through it without a hint of a jam. "They don't make 'um like they used to".

·
16,311 Posts
Vjim.fink, The forum software is a bit quirky …. some references in MS Edge don't display but will display in MS Internet Explorer. JPGLSG's images are pictures of a 10/22 owner's manual from 1972.

I received the manual from JPGLSG (thank you very much) and found it was way fewer pages than the manual I got with my 10/22 TD (2012 vintage). Things were simpler then …. where the newer manuals are chucked full of safety warnings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you know that the U.S.A. has the highest per capita ratio of lawyers in the world..? Such things have consequences. :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Beautiful stock on that rifle! I have a 1995 10/22, stainless. All metal but the but plate. The newer ones have a weird look to the receivers, like they are painted.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Mine goes back to 1971-72 (bought in 73). All metal and very nice wood. Was around $60. some $$, had an extra mag, cleaning kit and 50 rounds thrown in to boot. Still a great shooter and never had any problems. The Grandkids love shooting it.

Wasn't a big seller back then, everyone wanted the Nylon 66 and was hard to get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Loegan, I'm new to forum etiquette. What do you want for it? I spent a couple hours cleaning it yesterday and am quite impressed with what I got, was expecting only a reciever and all I can see might be bad is the firing pin may be flat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have one that looks exactly like yours I got for Christmas in 1973 when I was 13. I have fond memories of carrying in the woods hunting for squirrels in NC.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 10/22 made in 1973 sn 112-something. I'm pretty sure I have a manual for it around here somewhere. Paid $50 for it new back in 1973 from a dealer going out of business. $50 was a lot of money for me back then.
$50 is still a lot of money for this old pensioner - LOL!

let's see: what would $50 buy for my 10/22... hmm...

two bricks of rimfire?
four Volquartsen extractors?
a spare factory bolt?
a Simmons scope?
a Bushnell TRS25 red dot? (oops... not any more!)
two BX-25s?
50 Ruger padlocks? (ROFLMAO!)
a Farrowtec Charger AR pistol brace and buffer tube?
a spare Ruger trigger group?

or two cups of fancy coffee and a couple breakfast sandwiches at Starbucks? (i'll pass)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
264 Posts
Bought my 10/22 at Sears & Roebuck in May, 1968 for $54.99. She's coming up on 52 years old and still running strong!
Ruger 10-22 Carbine a.JPG

Ruger 10-22 Carbine b.JPG

They sure don't make'm like they used to!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts