Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the new crop of 10/22's as good or better than the old ones?
I saw a deluxe for $269+tx and a std carbine for $209+tx in my local gunshop.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I don't know, but I'd love to have the one that was made for WallyWorld...about 239, if I remember right...stainless/wood/long barrel...then the stainless/black synthetic...then one with a folder, then an International, then....I think the quality, as good as the old ones or not, will beat the rest today...Marlin used to be a bit better, but their quality's taken a nosedive...for all their little glitches, Ruger's the best in my opinion...and the funnest little rifle I've ever owned...

·
Banned
700 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rmeron

Are the new crop of 10/22's as good or better than the old ones?
I saw a deluxe for $269+tx and a std carbine for $209+tx in my local gunshop.
The question's a good one however somewhat vague.
The old ones being 1960's vs the newer ones being 2000's?
Believe it or not the Ruger 1022 is on some level always evolving.
The 60's had Lyman Sites then much latter they used Renal Sites. Since 1992 they're Weimann.
The early bolts were different as were the shape of the early hammers. The eighties brought changes to the firing pin configuation and those beautiful walnut stocks were replaced by birch then maple and back to birch today.The initial issue SE Overton stocks lasted only a few years due to cost. The trigger guards had no center hole in the early addition.
Those great metal (alum) buttplates were all but gone by mid 1976 (Liberty model)replaced by the Celcon (plastic)jobs!
Ruger and Sam Walton worked out several direct deals for special runs.1990
My favorite of which I have two is the 1990's SS,with black/gray laminate stock with the Ruger logo sling.
The latest being the Birch stocked sporter with 20" barrel.Affectionately known as the Wally World Special.
Though there have been several attempts over the years to lessen the cost to keep it in a consumer friendly zone they haven't compromised the overall reliability of the gun.
However, if you think they're better now because they cost more you'd be mistaken. The gun game is going straight up ..including gun, ammo,accessories, bling!

Here's an oldie but goodie!
It's my 1966 untweaked 1022. However I refinished the stock more to my liking.

Here's my 1976 DSP which is just as much fun!

Then there's a 90's edition but I had to put a nice early 60's walnut Overton on it.

Heck..."they" all gooooood!

SD

·
Banned
282 Posts
I bought my 10/22 about 7-8 years ago, new in box. It was not an accurate gun, very picky which ammo it liked. I was disappointed and kept it in my gun safe for future trading stock.

Then I took a job at Leupold. I wormed my way into a friendship with one of their master gunsmiths and world class shooters. Chating over coffee eventually came around to .22's & 10/22's in particular. :) He made me an offer I couldn't refuse and took my gun to the Leupold shop for a major tune-up, scope installation and parts replacement. The only original part left is the receiver. The gun is now a tack-driver, and I swear I can hit mosquitos in the air at 50 yds. A definate keeper! It likes CCI Mini-Mag HP's the best.

I stayed at Leupold long enough to get a bunch of optics at employee discount, and become vested in the retirement system.

·
Banned
700 Posts
quote:Originally posted by pioneer461

I stayed at Leupold long enough to get a bunch of optics at employee discount, and become vested in the retirement system.
The Leupold access is great but your vesting in a defined benefit pension plan will really make a difference in your life.....long term!

...and yes CCI's in a target build conversion seem to work extrememly well.
Enjoy your trackdriver!

SD

·
Registered
37 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jjfunk

I also want to get a T model. But to answer the question, I really don't know. I just bought one of those WWS 10/22's, but never shot it. Instead I went ahead and modded it completely out. As far as the receivers? yeah, they still rock. But everything else in my latest 10/22 is aftermarket. I think that the aftermarket crowds are primarily the driving reason that people get 10/22's anyways, but hey, just my opinion.
After market is the way to go when it comes to the Ruger 10/22. This one started out as a standard carbine and $1500.00 later there isn't one part that hasn't been replaced or reworked.

·
Banned
282 Posts
Song dawg, how right you are. In about one year, I will have 3 pension checks in the mail each month. :)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
IMHO they all shoot about the same put of the box, I just prefer the older model with the metal buttplate and walnut stock in the std carbine. Now there are some newer ones I like too, The WW special and the T model for instance..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts