Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I have a 10/22T, I want to put a Simmons Pro Hunter 4-12x40 AO scope on it. Looking at the Weaver Quad lock rings,do I need the highs or the extra high ones? Thanks to anyone who knows

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Can depend on what one uses for a base but typically medium height will be fine. It's not necessarily getting it as low as possible but rather getting the center point of the lens in alignment with your eye.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Hi,I have a 10/22T, I want to put a Simmons Pro Hunter 4-12x40 AO scope on it. Looking at the Weaver Quad lock rings,do I need the highs or the extra high ones? Thanks to anyone who knows
Pics of same scope mounted with those rings...with dimensions details and links to parts...like 73 said...you have to be aware of the rail height...they are not all the same...and the barrel/rear leaf details...and raise your cheek rest (on a factory stock) to match the eye level of the scope...for how to on that search Ryan Cleckner on youtube...

Bottom line is that those weaver quads in low will barely work at best...med is pretty much gauranteed...lower is better imo overall...the devil is in the details...midwayusa and leapers websites give the most details about the rings and rails for dimensions...

http://rugerforum.net/optics/59538-low_lower_lowest.html?

--------------------------------------

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the stock Ruger mount

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quad Mounts

I replaced the super cheap Simmons rings that came with my Simmons scope with the Quad Rings. If you are using the stock 10/22 mount, and not the pickney mount, they will be loose. I didn't know that until after I got them home. It was an easy fix, and they are super tight now. After research, I found that it was common for the Weaver rings to be just a shade too big for the Ruger standard mount. People wrote many letters to Weaver, and they had narrowed it down to the production of the rings in China and the tolerances aren't accurate. The ring base is slightly too thick and needs to be shaved down. I used a dremel and shaved it down about .010" and it worked perfectly.

I wouldn't have gone through the trouble, except my 10/22 is stainless, and scope is silver, and that was the only set of silver rings in my little town. They work great now, but if I was to buy just a fire and forget set of rings, I would have bought the Leopold Rifleman set that was there, but in black.

By the way, I chose Medium Height, and they work fine for my Simmon 32mm tube scope. I could post a picture of the height on a 32mm Simmons if you want to see it.

Like these from Midway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts