Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death like a dead horse, but I will ask anyway.

My 10.5" stainless Super Black Hawk is not shooting tight groups. This just started! When I sighted it in last year for deer season it was doing fine staying in a paper plate at 50yards from a rest. Now I might hit the plate once out of six and thats not good enough for me to hunt with.

I did some research and I found a few causes;

Ammo, I did switch to Hornady from Winchester so I'm switching back and going to the range this week to see how it responds

Cylinder pin play, mine is a little loose but it should be fine.

Cylinder throats, I need to mic these,

This has always been an accurate gun and It has a low round count since I only use it around deer season. I do not think it has any barrel issues or they would have surfaced earlier in its life.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Try different brands and different bullet weights of ammo. Some will shoot good, others, not so much. Some guns are a little fussy over which loads will shoot accurately out of them. As an example, when I bought my .300 Savage (right before I started handloading) there were only 5 factory loads available that I was aware of. I bought 1 box of each for accuracy testing. The 2 loads from Federal were 150gr. and 180gr., 2 loads from Remington were also 150 and 180 grain, and Winchester 150 grain. While shooting these loads and adjusting my scope for the different points of impact with the different bullet weights, I found that no matter how much I adjusted my scope the Winchester load wouldn't shoot better than 3" groups from a 100yds.. Both Remington loads and the Federal 150gr. would do about 1 1/2" groups but the 180gr. Federal was the star of the show consistently shooting about 3/4" groups. It took some time doing this but I found my accurate factory load. You may end up doing much the same. Then I got into handloading, but that's another story. Good luck and Happy Shootin'!

·
Banned
650 Posts
I would look at the cylinder pin. The cylinder pin may not be causing your accuracy issues but the cylinder should have very little play. I can feel a little wiggle but it is so little I can't see the cylinder gap moving.

Freedom Munitions has 44 mag ammo in stock They have 240gr XTP 250 rounds $151 240gr semi wad cutters $117 for 250. My pistol shoots the wad cutters real well. I am going to test the wad cutters if the are hard enough I will hunt with them this year. 1,240 fps 833 ft lb That is enough for deer.

·
Registered
803 Posts
IMO you need to approach this form the viewpoint of what has changed since last year. The most glaring variable is the ammo change. The other is you the shooter. I would start with the ammo as it is the most likely. Get some of the same ammo from last year and try again. If it is back to normal then you are good to go.

The very last thing to do is to start changing things on the SBH. It is highly unlikely that some mysterious malfunction occurred while it was in the gun safe or wherever. Only if ammo or the shooter turn out not to be the problem would I even begin to consider a firearm malfunction. If you start changing the gun at the start it may not only be unnecessary but further complicate the process of elimination.

·
Registered
571 Posts
agree with those who recommend going back to the ammo that has given you the level of performance you are happy with .... have you been firing lead bullets .... if so, a thorough barrel cleaning can't hurt and it may help

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going over the gun really well then head back to the range friday.

I may have sight issues. I added this peep sight to the rear, which I like but I had issues getting the elevation set with it and that may very well be the issue. I will report back what I find

·
Registered
571 Posts
IMO you need to approach this form the viewpoint of what has changed since last year. The most glaring variable is the ammo change.
I may have sight issues. I added this peep sight to the rear, which I like but I had issues getting the elevation set with it and that may very well be the issue. I will report back what I find

between changing ammo and the rear sight, I suspect you will find the issue .... please post the results of your investigation

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went back to the range today. Still not what I want out of it and no where near as good as it use to shoot. This is 25yards, I use to get this or better at 75yds. The sight is tight. The gun is tight, I had it checked out by a local smith and he found nothing that would keep it from shooting.

The barrel looks good with no fouling

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried shooting it at 50yds and could not hit a 20"x20" target off a rest. A year ago at this time I could put all six shots in a paper plate at 75yds.

I don't know what to do with it but I won't sell it.

I picked this SBH up from a friend in financial trouble. It had a Burris 2x scope and Leupold mount and only 20 rounds through it. Best $375 I have ever spent. I just need to figure this accuracy thing out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know your age, but I noticed my eye sight changing in my mid 40's and required the use of glasses. I also changed out the sight leaf to an O ghost ring which brought things back where they should be.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know your age, but I noticed my eye sight changing in my mid 40's and required the use of glasses. I also changed out the sight leaf to an O ghost ring which brought things back where they should be.
I have the Warren ghost rings. I have ghost rings on all of my iron sighted hunting firearms.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update;

I sent the gun back to Ruger and they called me back within 3 days of shipping it out!

The lady told me that since the top strap had been drilled and tapped for a scope mount(previous owner put a Leupold mount on it) that it was not warrantied but there was a issue with a crack in the frame where the barrel mounted that was hidden by the barrel. She said that they took that into consideration and did a partial warranty. Because of that I got a brand new 10.5" stainless steel SBH for about 1/3 the price of a new one!

I absolutely love the way this one shoots and groups seem to be getting tighter each time to the range.

Ruger has the best customer service HANDS DOWN!

I own many different brands of firearms. I have decided I'm going straight up Ruger from now on for rifles and handguns. Still staying with Remington for shotguns though since they never seem to fail on me.

My new deer hunting partner

·
Registered
571 Posts
OUTSTANDING .... I agree on Ruger's customer service and am glad to hear of yet another example proving its topnotch

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree! Their customer support is top notch!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts