Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought home my new Mini 14 Tactical chambered in 300 AAC Blackout. My rifle has no flash hider and has 10 round magazines to be compliant. The 2 magazines are marked 300 Blackout but I cannot find any similar ones for sale on the net. Want to know if standard Ruger .223 10 round magazines would work for this.My FFL that I bought the rifle says he was told Ruger only made 100 of these rifles. This could be a test sales in compliant only states in my opinion.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
The standard 223/556 mags will work fine. I actually have a handful of 300blackout mags for my 556 Mini because they were cheaper (and I planned to Cerakote them).
No problems.
The AR is similar... 223/556/300bo all share the same mag.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
Connecticut. John has one left at High Ridge Arms on Spring Street Windsor Locks. Near the airport off of Route 75.
Cool, that's not far from me. How much is he selling it for?

What does the end of your barrel look like? Does it have a pinned muzzle brake or is it a pinned or welded thread protector or is it just a regular barrel end like all the other mini 14 ranch versions?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a trade for mine so you can give him a call to see what he sells them for. Rifle has the regular barrel end.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I just got back from buying the other one John had. Thanks a bunch for telling me where he was. I sent Ruger a few emails last year begging them to make a CT legal one and today my wish came true. Thanks again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are very welcome Safety Joe. Glad I helped you nab the other one. I originally walked in to trade for a standard .223 Ranch but when he showed me the 300 Blackout I could not resist. If he is right on only 100 made, this could be a rare item down the road, of course this is speculation on my part but that is a low production number never the less. I love mine even though it does not have that evil flash hider.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
You are very welcome Safety Joe. Glad I helped you nab the other one. I originally walked in to trade for a standard .223 Ranch but when he showed me the 300 Blackout I could not resist. If he is right on only 100 made, this could be a rare item down the road, of course this is speculation on my part but that is a low production number never the less. I love mine even though it does not have that evil flash hider.
Yeah, I saw that other 223 mini 14 he had in the back corner next to the lever guns. I already have one of those and even another target version mini 14. They are great, but it's the 300 blackout one I've been wishing for because I reload that caliber and really wanted something semi auto that wasn't an expensive preban AR15.

I noticed he also has a Ruger Precision rifle in 308 in that back corner too. I looked at that Citadel M1 Carbine he had on the wall below the shotguns. It uses 9mm Beretta mags and it felt like it only weighs 4 lbs. I already have 2 of the Ruger PC9 9mm carbines, but I think that Citadel M1 carbine clone, the Marlin Camp carbine and the Ruger PC9 are the only legal 9mm carbines you can still buy in CT.

I have a feeling Ruger just made those first 100 to test and see if there is any demand for them. My guess is there will be and Ruger will probably make more for the anti-gun states. I'm just personally happy because I feel like Ruger actually made it for me because I sent them a few emails begging them last year.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was drooling over that precision rifle as well but the 300 blackout mini won me over. Who knows, maybe your e-mail did the trick. If it did I am very grateful to you. One thing on Ruger I detest is the fact that they will not sell or ship any magazines to CT. residents even if you have your permit. Guess Ebay is the best place to get Ruger 10 rounders. I would use Midway but they do not carry any genuine Ruger mags for the Mini 14s.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I was drooling over that precision rifle as well but the 300 blackout mini won me over. Who knows, maybe your e-mail did the trick. If it did I am very grateful to you. One thing on Ruger I detest is the fact that they will not sell or ship any magazines to CT. residents even if you have your permit. Guess Ebay is the best place to get Ruger 10 rounders. I would use Midway but they do not carry any genuine Ruger mags for the Mini 14s.
Yeah, I use ebay to get the ruger mags, but I recently started buying the Tapco 5rd mags on ebay because they are actually 30 rd mags that just have an internal blocker that limits them to 5 rds for hunting. Out of all the aftermarket mags the newer Tapco seem to work the best. Those 5 rd ones have a few advantages. One being that if the SHTF you can drill a hole in the center of the base plate so you can take the magazine apart and cut off the blocker so it becomes a 30rd mag. Obviously that's illegal, but if some terrible disaster happens and you need to defend your home or community I think most people would agree that it would be okay under those extreme situations. The other advantage the Tapco mags have is the plastic feed lips don't scratch the brass like the metal Ruger and ProMag ones do. If you don't reload your ammo it's not a big deal, but I do reload 223 and 300 BLK so I like to keep my brass un-scratched.
Tapco MAG4805 BK Intrafuse Polymer Black 5 Round Magazine 223 REM Hunt Rifle | eBay

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
Nice, mine looks the same. Came with 2 mags, rail, 2 scope rings, lock and manual.
I'm wondering if Ruger is using the same gas bushing as the ones with the threaded barrel because I know they tuned those to work both with a suppressor and without, but because you can't put a silencer on these the way they come from the factory I wonder if they put a different bushing that's more tuned for just un-suppressed shooting.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I just sent Ruger an email asking them

I just bought one of your Connecticut legal mini 14 rifles chambered in 300 aac blackout that does not have any threading on the end of the barrel. Can you tell me what size gas bushing my rifle has and if it's the same size gas bushing you use in all the other regular 300 BLK mini 14 rifles? Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You bring up a good point here. I am guessing supersonic only because of the fact that there is no suppressor threading. It may work OK with sub sonic but I for one will use only supersonic that is if I can get into a range. I have applied at several around hear and have heard squat back for a while now. Only choices are Glastonbury and Blue Trail in Wallingford. Keep us posted when you hear back from Ruger on this.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
You bring up a good point here. I am guessing supersonic only because of the fact that there is no suppressor threading. It may work OK with sub sonic but I for one will use only supersonic that is if I can get into a range. I have applied at several around hear and have heard squat back for a while now. Only choices are Glastonbury and Blue Trail in Wallingford. Keep us posted when you hear back from Ruger on this.
The Glastonbury one is where I go. It opens back up in April.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks and I believe it costs nothing, you just have to e-mail them with a time slot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts