Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so the wind wasn't howling this morning, of course there's almost no such thing as No-Wind here, but it was tolerable.

I acquired and installed the lightest (9#) trigger return spring from the Wolf spring kit. I polished hammer spring strut, and paid particular attention to the rounded end. I have not changed the hammer spring, though the kit contains additional hammer springs.

I also got a shim kit, .003 shims were installed on either side of the hammer. The hammer is now centered in the frame.

The trigger is smoothing up with use.

It's a joy to shoot double action. The double action feeling is right in your hand, as it should be.

The cylinder is a very tight fit in this gun. Any residue Under the extractor star is an issue. I had to wipe it with a brown, paper towel every few cylinders.

I may change the hammer spring before the next trip to the range.

Trigger pull is now pretty smooth 4#, it began as a rough, 5.5 # pull. Between the spring, shims and strut polish, the pull is livable.

15 yard, off-hand target (bless my shaky, old hands) :)

The wind began picking up...

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Very nice. Congrats. GP100 and .22LR make a nice combination.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Ok here I see this again so is it really necessary on most of the new GP100's wether its a .22 or .357 that you have to add spring kits and shims?? Just do not get it, are most Rugers just come out with too heavy of trigger pulls to satisfy?? My S&W Model's 66 & Model 17 never touched them with spring kits or shims......never needed them!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Nice. I saw one of those for the first time yesterday at my LGS. I almost asked them to take it out of the cases but then thought better of it. Didn't need the temptation. :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
is it really necessary on most of the new GP100's wether its a .22 or .357 that you have to add spring kits and shims??
Having shot ~1200 rounds in the last year between my two stock GP100s AND having just shot 65 rounds yesterday for the first time with new springs in one of them, I say...... YES!! At least the springs - haven't shimmed either yet but I won't shoot the other one until I've fixed its springs too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's a matter of taste. My GP-100 is fine out of the box. I don't think I will change the springs. Could it be better, sure. I just don't feel the need to make the trigger pull lighter.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Well this just kinda proves that inherently because of design the S&W actions K,L&N Framed guns come with smoother action's and lighter trigger pulls. My 2008 Ruger SP101 .327 FM when I bought it the action seemed lighter and smoother to a certain degree vs my SP101 .38 Special. Still not as smooth as my K Frame Model 66 but with time & use my SP101 will get better. Am I going to spring and shim it nope why try to fix it when it doesn't need it!!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Well this just kinda proves that inherently because of design the S&W actions K,L&N Framed guns come with smoother action's and lighter trigger pulls.
Yes, the absence of threads here on rugerforum about S&W trigger jobs, plus the fact that you left your S&W's stock proves conclusively that no one out there has trigger work done, swaps springs, loosens the stran screw, cleans out the internals, or otherwise ever has to or wants to open up a S&W. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
auroa40 total BS I have had many S&W's over the span of 30 years never had to do any repairs as far as spring replacements or action jobs! Never the only part I ever had to replace was the exposed hammer on one of my K framed S&W's !!! But also my first Ruger Security Six that I should have kept never a action job or springs or shims ever, my Ruger SP101's might need spring jobs if other folks had them I guess but mine usually smooth up over the years. Never as smooth and light triggers and actions vs a S&W as stated because of design!!! I have been on the S&W Forum several times not as much there as here. But haven't seen nearly as much complaint there vs here on the Ruger Forum about how guys get a $800.00 gun then the first thing thats done is springs and shim jobs:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I acquired My SP101 8-shot the day after they were released, (one of my coups) so I can safely say it's an early one! ;)

It was and is, still perfect. The SA pull of the SP101 was 4.5# out of the box. Changing the trigger spring w/ a Wolff spring brought it to very crisp 3#.

I don't mind doing a simple spring change. The modular design makes changing a spring an easy job. I put more comfortable grips on it too.

15 yards

100 yard rams

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice gun. Regarding spring changes, thank you Ruger for designing a system that let's me change the spring easily from what your lawyers want, to what I want. Really an easy change. It doesn't have to be done. But the fact that I have the easy choice is cool. Kind of reminds me of the magazine disconnect safety on my SR9C. There if you want it, but very easily removable if you don't. Nice design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts