Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I hate being new to a forum and I really hate feeling like I'm asking a question that may have been asked a million times, but oh well...

I have a Ruger 10/22 (stainless barrel/black stock) which is probably about 8 years old. I have 2 (Ruger made) ten shot magazines for it and both of them stop advancing after only a few shots. I then have to pull them out, tap on them, or whatever to get them moving. I'm pretty much to the point where I can only put about 2 rounds each into them and know both rounds will fire then reload.

Do these things get dirty over time? Do the springs wear out or something? I couldn't have more than 300 rounds total through the gun using both magazines and can't imagine a design around as long as this would have this sort of problem?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yeah, they will get dirty, but I don't think with that low a round count they should get dirty enough to cause stoppages. Ruger used to include instructions on how to take the mag apart, but now they say to buy a new magazine. I have taken mine apart several times. It is a little tricky, but not that bad either. The hard part is winding the spring back enough, but not too much. Here is a link that might be helpful:
http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
kwtrading - welcome to the forum.
The mags do get dirty. Some ammo much worse that others. And maybe too much spray lube can cause dirt to acumulate. Before taking them apart, soak them in hot water, with dish soap added for a couple minutes. Agitate heavily in the soapy water then rinse well again with hot water and blow the excess water out if you have an air hose. If not try a hair dryer. Then use Real Magic to lube them up. It doesn't leave an oily residue. There are several other spray lubes that work good too. Don't use WD40 type sprays. Hope this helps. It's possible the springs have slipped losing tension but I couldn't guess the odds on both doing it and they wouldn't work if you were only loading two rounds at a time. If there is good tension as you load the rounds, then the mags are just dirty.
gunman's link for disassembly and cleaning is a good one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. i will definately try cleaning them up and see what happens. the ammo i've been using the last couple hundred rounds has been a big 550 round carton of Remington. i can try something else next time but i still have a lot left to get through so i better make it work.
two questions...
where do i buy Real Magic?
are there any aftermarket magazines that are less prone to fouling?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I never heard or Real Magic, so jimbo will have to answer that one. As for the aftermarket magazines, you will find none more reliable than Ruger. I have 4 10/22 Ruger magazines, and they work flawless. As you mentioned, try different ammo and see what happens.

·
Banned
700 Posts
All good advice above. The only thing I'd add is to turn (tighten) the tension 4 extra "flats" over the eight that is usually suggested.
BTW, I do this to all my Ruger mags especially the NEW ones. They are now subcontracted out by Ruger and can be of varying tensions when new.
I've used spray silicon for lube with good results.

SD

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use spray silicone from the auto parts department from Wal-Mart. It dries and leaves a light coating so it will not collect crud like a wet lube.

·
Banned
700 Posts
quote:Originally posted by DONALD W. WARREN

I use spray silicone from the auto parts department from Wal-Mart. It dries and leaves a light coating so it will not collect crud like a wet lube.
That's the one I use too. It's CRC and has worked quite well.

SD

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for the link gunman. Now if only we could get Iowegan to do the IBOKS that way we would be setting pretty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts