Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, last week was at a local gun shop......I bought a 1963 Standard Model there, for $400, and it's a very nice gun.

They had a 10" Super Blackhawk, stainless, .44 Magnum also, priced at $599........It was obviously used because it had Pachmayrs on it, but I didn't look too closely at it, so I don't know HOW used it is. If it were blued I wouldn't even be thinking about it.

I know Ruger still offers these and they retail for $650, so $600 used seems high. However if it seems like it's had 6 rounds through it, it might be a nice gun to buy "in person", since I like to be able to walk out with what I want, tired of the GunBroker song and dance.......

I'm thinking a 10" SBH .44 might round out my .44 collection, since I have a Kodiak Backpacker and an Alaskan, the 10" might be a neat target gun, even a 100 yard sandbag plinker. It may be a while before I can get out there again to check it out, to make sure it wasn't someone's handload test gun, a slihouette gun with a million rounds through it, or just a beat box..........maybe $550 in cash, will sway them......

Either way, I think it will be there........people around here aren't beating down doors for 10" .44 Mag single actions.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Local shop here has $601 on blued and $624 on SS's, both of which reflect a price bump from the last year or so, as they had been running $550 and $575, respectively.

I think you got it - the 10.5" makes a decent target gun. Not necessarily because it's exceptionally accurate compared to the other barrel lengths, but because it's essentially too big to really be handy for hunting compared to the others. Not knocking guys that like 9.5" and 10.5" revolvers, but once I get past 7-8", it's just SO BIG to haul around just for hunting.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys:)

That $600 price isn't looking so good now, unless it is unfired or hardly fired.

It's hard to tell, except to check it out and see if it's tight, and look for flame cutting and forcing cone damage from light, hot .44's.

This shop doesn't really "negotiate" so I'd probably be better off buying new, in which case, by the time I get enough desire to go through the whole internet deal thing (which I've done a million times before) I'll probably have lost interest lol

I'm trying to pretty much stop internet buying, and just buy from gun shops and shows now. I've got enough "toys" to keep me busy for a while, the whole GunBroker - Davidson's etc. thing is pretty much just another reason to stay broke.....

Plus, my goal, within maybe a year or so, is to own a Freedom Arms .357- 9mm convertible 6.5", with the intent that this may become my "One", for the field and for range shooting.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have a stainless version that started out with a 10 inch barrel and will send to Magnaport for their package that reduces the barrel 2 inches in length plus other work completed to the gun
I really like mine

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have always wanted a 10.5 version in .44 but every time I get near one I find something I want more, I will eventually land one just a matter of time.
I do have a single six in 10.5 I use for squirrels and such not because it's any better than my shorter versions but because it's just kinda fun and looks kinda cool to whip out the long barrel
Cool factor sometimes counts don't you think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts