Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to maybe get into target shooting or just shooting for fun and i want to have the capability to go 1000 yards and farther. i want something tactical. I was leaning toward .308win, .338 lapua mag or 50 bmg. My budget is about $1500 for rifle and glass. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Raise more $, glass good for shooting at that range will eat up most of what you have now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble BUT....A .50 BMG will cost you 4 or more times your budget with scope. In fact, like mentioned earlier, you are going to at least need to double your budget to get good results at that range.
Darrell

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
You're probably lookin' (ballpark figure) at $1,200 - $1,500 for the rifle and $800 - $1,500 for the scope. That's gonna be on the lower end of the scale too.

·
Super Moderator
21,415 Posts
A Browning XBLT 338 Win Mag and a Swarovski Z3 4x12 can be had for just a little over $1,700. It doesn't sound like you intend to get into it professionally but than would likely be a lot of fun at that yardage.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Not sure what your goal is as far as what your shooting at etc. But accuracy at that range is gonna cost you. Repeatable accuracy at that range will cost you big time. It could cost you your budget in ammo just to get good enough after you have rifle and glass. Not to discourage you, but most people don't realize just how far that actually is.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I would start with a Savage 12F or 12FT/R in 6mmBR or 6.5x284 or if you want something a bit cheaper and much more common a 10 FP in .308. (it really doesn't make too much difference, you are going to have to handload anyway).
The 12F and FT/R are about the most accurate factory rifles that you can buy for under $2000. Many of the serious guys who shoot F-class will either either build a custom rifle or will shoot a Savage, some shoot remington 700s. The 700s can be made to shoot just as good as the Savages, but they often require some expensive work.

Glass-plan on spending as much on the galss/rings/base as you do on the rifle, if not more. This is not money wasted, because a good scope can be moved to a different or better rifle in the future. Look at high end Leupolds, Nightforce, US Optics, Schmidt and Bender scopes.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,305 Posts
If there is a range in your area that has thousand yard targets, go there to observe and talk to the shooters. Most people have no concept of how far a thousand yards really is. There are very few places that have the space for flat thousand yard ranges. Competitive accuracy gets exponentially more expensive the further out the target.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at the Savage 10FCP-k in .308 and i really like that. Will that be a good rifle? Also, i looked at the Vortex Crossfire, Vortex Viper, and Millet LRS. Thoughts on those three scopes? Will they be able to get me to 1000 yards?

·
Registered
483 Posts
A Viper would be more than adequate, PARTICULARLY since you're doing this as a hobby/amusement. A Weaver Tactical is a great scope, and even better considering the price.

You looking at 'benchrest' type shooting? Meaning: always from a steady rest, always at the same defined distance, and always at paper. Or, are you talking about the 'precision rifle' or 'tactical' matches? If more a benchrest/f-class type of thing, then you wouldn't need the first focal plane or drop-dead-reliable & repeatable clicks of the 'tactical' scopes.

Darkker (a forum member here) rips off strings from his stock Marlin XL-7 in 25-06 at 1000 yds, and he does it while holding-over with a very modest Leupy VX-II scope. Hits the 18" steel plate at 1000 yds much more often than not. Does the same with a stock, factory 308 with a WAY-less-than-$1,000 scope, too.

No matter what anyone tells you, YOU are a MUCH bigger factor than the gun or the glass. Those who claim the contrary may have only read about it, rather than done it.

Now, if you want to shoot competitively, and win, well... Frankly YOU are still the biggest factor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A Viper would be more than adequate, PARTICULARLY since you're doing this as a hobby/amusement. A Weaver Tactical is a great scope, and even better considering the price.

You looking at 'benchrest' type shooting? Meaning: always from a steady rest, always at the same defined distance, and always at paper. Or, are you talking about the 'precision rifle' or 'tactical' matches? If more a benchrest/f-class type of thing, then you wouldn't need the first focal plane or drop-dead-reliable & repeatable clicks of the 'tactical' scopes.

Darkker (a forum member here) rips off strings from his stock Marlin XL-7 in 25-06 at 1000 yds, and he does it while holding-over with a very modest Leupy VX-II scope. Hits the 18" steel plate at 1000 yds much more often than not. Does the same with a stock, factory 308 with a WAY-less-than-$1,000 scope, too.

No matter what anyone tells you, YOU are a MUCH bigger factor than the gun or the glass. Those who claim the contrary may have only read about it, rather than done it.

Now, if you want to shoot competitively, and win, well... Frankly YOU are still the biggest factor.
What is a good magnification for seeing 1000 yards out?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I don't think I've ever even heard of a 1000 yd rifle. It'd surely be a pain to move at that length and you'd need a good scope just to see the iron sights. sorry, I am easily amused.

1000yds is probably a little beyond the norm. Good luck and posts some pics when you decide.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
A few months ago I had been talking to a friend of mine about the same thing. Here is his recommendation.

" I have an M40A5 (basicly the same rifle I carried in the Marine Corps) built up from a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in a .308. It was failry cheap since it came with a syinthetic stock. I have kept the action, bolt and barrel but replace nearly everything else. The barrel comes factory threaded on the end to accept a suppersor or in my case a muzzle break. It has a 1 in 12 twist which will handle a heavier bullet say in the 160 grain area. I added a badger ordeance M5 magazine system (5 or 10 round mags) and a 20 MOA sight rail for the scope with a shot angle indicator. The stock is a McMillan A5 and the action has been glass bedded to it for a tighter fit and full free floating barrel. The scope is a 12x Millet with a 40mm objective lens, sunshade and covers. I also have a check rest and harris bi-pod. It should be accurat to 1" MOA at 1000 yards, But I have yet to finish the build and even put one round throught it. I know it will work because this is exactly the same set up as I ran as a scout/sniper. The Remingtons are fairly cheap and since they are so popular with the military and police they have a huge after market following. It would definatly be my first choice. "

If I am ever able to build up such a gun I'll go with his recommendation.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I want to maybe get into target shooting or just shooting for fun and i want to have the capability to go 1000 yards and farther. i want something tactical. I was leaning toward .308win, .338 lapua mag or 50 bmg. My budget is about $1500 for rifle and glass. Any suggestions?
$1,500 is a good start! I had the same thing in mind when I bought my Remington 700 SPS earlier this year. That rifle cost me $685 + tax. I chose the .308 since I already have 2 other .308 rifles and have found it to be a highly accurate round.

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-stainless.aspx

The military has been using what is basically a Remington 700 as their go-to sniper rifle with .308 rounds for years.

So, the rest of the $1,500 and more is going to go for optics. I currently have a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16X50mm. It's a great scope, but it's not enough for me for shooting 1,000 yards.

Somehow the military gets by with a 10x fixed, but I couldn't be effective with a 10x scope at anywhere near that distance. But remember, your field of view goes down with magnification increase, as mirage effects go up. The Bushnell Elite series is an excellent scope with great parallax control.

A scope I've lusted over is the Leupold 45x fixed target scope. I believe it's about $1,500 just by itself.

So rather than buy another scope, I'm trying to increase my proficiency at 200 yards before buy more hardware.

If you want good distance long range, you'd better count on making your own reloads. There's lots of great ammo out there, but it's expensive and even it varies from lot to lot. I've had some good luck with Remington Core-Lokt and some Black Hills. The Winchester White Box is just not very accurate beyond 100 yards. I just started reloading pistol rounds this year and plan to get into reloading .308 next... maybe next year... maybe.

Check out LoneWolfUSMC videos on YouTube as well as The NSSF videos by Ryan Cleckner.

I also belong to a forum called LongRangeHunting.com. I'm not very active on it, but the guys there are really into long range shooting.

Good luck!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
If there is a range in your area that has thousand yard targets, go there to observe and talk to the shooters. Most people have no concept of how far a thousand yards really is. There are very few places that have the space for flat thousand yard ranges. Competitive accuracy gets exponentially more expensive the further out the target.
Good points! Also be sure you have a place you can shoot it 1,000 yards. My range goes up to 200 yards except for their special long distance range that requires special permission to use. I think it maxes out at 800 yards.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts