Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble getting my 1022 apart. Receiver will not come out of the stock. Anyone have this problem before?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Having trouble getting my 1022 apart. Receiver will not come out of the stock. Anyone have this problem before?
Rick P...welcome to the Ruger Forum! Congrats on the 10/22...I love mine!

Check out Ruger's 10/22 videos...I think one of them might help you? Ruger Videos

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. As you can see, I'm new here. I watched the video and its real simple, Except mine wont come apart. I was thinking maybe the trigger group pins might have worked out and thats whats keeping it from separating. Dont know any other reason why it wouldnt come out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rick, assuming that you have fully loosened the action screw, your safety is probably hanging up on the bottom of the stock. You first have to de-cock the hammer by dry-firing, then push the safety to the right just so that it is centered. Then lift the barrel first and rotate the action away from the stock.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This may be a really stupid question, but did you remove the barrel band first? Are you sure the action screw is fully loosened from the receiver? Does the stock move away from the action by any amount at all?

All of the trigger group pins and the bolt stop pin are captured inside the stock, so there is no place for them to hang up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, All of that was done before i tried to take it apart. It doesn't move at all. Almost like their is another screw holding it on. This gun sat for a long time in a highly humid house and has some rust on it. But i dont think that would make any diff. as far as coming apart. Thanks for your response. Appreciated!

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's a wood stock? Then I would expect that swelling of the wood might be the problem. If so, putting the rifle outside in the sun for a few hours might help, or a little more violence applied to the stock removal process.

Unless someone modified the rifle to install a rear receiver hold-down, there should be nothing left that holds the stock on the barreled action.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The very first time I took my wife's apart it took me a couple tries to figure out how best to do so. I find it works best if you pivot the barrel end up first. Basically you, gently, pry the barrel away form the stock at the foremost point where they meet.
You should able to move it some even if the screw is not all the all the way loose or the safety is not in the correct position.
You can take the screw all the way out to be sure it is not hanging up there.
Cocked or uncocked with open or closed bolt shouldn't matter.
I don't recall the trigger group or bolt buffer pins, no matter how loose, interfering with disassembly, that is more of an issue during reassembly if they slip out as your are reassembling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try that. Prying the forend. If somebody installed something, I would think i could see it, But dont see any thing. Maybe its just swollen. I'll try sitting it outside for a while. But i did try hitting it as hard as i can with my palm to the trigger guard. I really appreciate the responses. If it comes out, I will let you know. Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rick, you can't remove the stock by pushing up on the trigger guard. You have to lift from the barrel first. The action pivots around the back edge of the trigger guard to release from the stock. Once you get it out, you will see that there is an extension on the back of the trigger group housing that fits under a ledge milled into the stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I pulled on the barrel with all my strength and it poped out a bit and then i tapped the barrel on the floor a couple of times while i was holding the stock and it came out! It had some kind of rubbery yellow tape on it. Like some kind of cushioned tape or something. Some stayed on the barrel and some on the stock. Anyway, It came out. It was really stuck.. I want to thank all who helped. It was much appreciated. Now gotta clean the old girl up!! thanks!!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
"Barrel bedded by Bubba". Sounds like double-sided foam tape. I suspect that once you get all that garbage cleaned off, the rifle will shoot better too. Who knows what sort of roller coaster bends were pushed into the barrel by that "bedding job".

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Apparently Bubba's handiwork shows up anywhere, at anytime. Glad you got your rifle safely taken apart. Sounds like that was quite the challenge.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Ok, I pulled on the barrel with all my strength and it poped out a bit and then i tapped the barrel on the floor a couple of times while i was holding the stock and it came out! It had some kind of rubbery yellow tape on it. Like some kind of cushioned tape or something. Some stayed on the barrel and some on the stock. Anyway, It came out. It was really stuck.. I want to thank all who helped. It was much appreciated. Now gotta clean the old girl up!! thanks!!!!
As frustrating as that is at least you weren't doing something wrong or overlooking something obvious and it is also a good reminder to those of us offering advice over the internet that you just never know what you are going to run into.

As a word advice to anyone in Rick's position a bit of additional info can go a long way when seeking online advice. In this instance for example mentioning whether the gun was brand new vs bought used vs belonged to your grandfather might have resulted more creative suggestions or at least some additional questions to clarify your precise steps and observations along the way.
Another example, if you said you could not release the action on a brand new 10/22 vs a friend gave you a beat up old 10/22 because the "bolt was stuck" the initial advice regarding the proper way to release the bolt would be where to start but if that did not work then the advice on new in box vs bubba's hand me down would likely be very different.

I would think that for the vast majority of us, when diagnosing things remotely, and without photos there may be no such thing as too much information (provided it is somehow relevant to the item in question).

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have had several old 10/22s that did not want to come apart. With band off and action screw out, a pretty good rap on the floor with the end of the barrel always knocks them loose

1 - 19 of 19 Posts