Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently i have been obsessing and researching either a dedicated 22lr AR upper or just buying a smith wesson mp15-22 or tippmann.

The tippman is a well built rifle but the mp15-22 has the edge regarding weight. I like the mp 15-22 mags. A dedicated upper can get costly and still remain heavy. I also wanted to try to set up the dedicated upper to use the fostec echo trigger. Its seems like i would be dumping some serious cash for a cool factor to make the upper work with the echo trigger.

My purpose was to get repetitions on the AR15 platform and deeply ingrain muscle memory.

My 1022 has the Samson btm-1 foldable stock with the barrel shroud, stock 18 inch barrel, qd barrel band and qd attachment at the folding mechanism. I also have the tactical inovations left side charging reciver, tech sights and tandemkross trigger with my old trigger group. I had a guy work it some 10 or 15 years ago. Its still rocks.

I think ruget bx25 mags are heavy especially the double setup.

So today i wanted to really take the 1022 out to range and so a reliablity test. This would give me info to make the move to purchase a new rifle to replace the 1022.

I shot a total of 450 rounds of federal automatch, thunderbolt, cci hp at 1235 fps and aquilla hv. Four double bx25, 4 clear butler creek 25 round plastic lip mags, one oem clear 10 roundag, black dog 50 round drum and gsg 110 round drum mag.

I ran mags one right after the other at a quick rate. Not as fast as i could but definitely much faster than slow aim shooting.

I had 4 failures. one in bulter creek mag. faliure to feed and 3 failure to feed from the gsg mag.
I need to clean that 110 round drum mag.

Nothing was an ammo or gun problem.

I have it sighted in at 50 yards and is quite accurate for iron sights. Those tech sights are almost as good as red dot sights.

Conclusion:

This little plinker is a keeper. Other than the mags and rifle being heavier than i would like its a dream to shoot. Double and tripple taps are easy and accurate with its present setup. I won't miss the echo trigger one bit. I dont see the need for the franklin binary. Quick double and tripple taps are more useful to me than spray and pray.

Setting this rifle up over several years of slow addons has yielded a great 1022.

Looks like my recent obsession of a Ar15 22 can finally be put to rest.
Why spend the cash go through the frustration of dialling anither gun in when mine is running so well.
The only real difference regarding manual of arms is the ar15 bolt release. My ar15 has left side charging handle as well. So while not ideal it will do.

This little plinker along with my henry h001 and cz 457 bolt gun fill my every need.

I couldn't be happier today.

Plus i save my cash for more ammo.

Registered
Cool. Thx. I have a Samson folder on my Mini 30. Thinking hard of buying a black folder for my old 10/22 Carbine.

Can you tell what kind of finish it has? Nitride, blue, Ceracoat?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Notice the trigger guard. They didnt move the grip up. So i used some moldable plastic to fill gap. It works great and stays in place. In fact the only way it comes out is when you remove the action from stock.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Notice my rear sight is a UTG peep. Since my receiver came with built in rail i had to find a lower profile rear sight. I used the tech front sight with longer post. Luckily it worked out perfectly. I am also glad i had that rear peep lying around in parts bin. Perfect cheek weld sights line up naturally.

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun barrel
Wood Gas Hardwood Air gun Bumper
Bicycle part Rim Auto part Metal Wood

Registered
Nice pictures. Thanks. I love the one on my Mini 30. Putting a $300 stock on a $1,000 gun was easy. Putting a $300 stock on a $300 gun is a bit harder for me.

I wish they would have used a different injection molding for the pistol grip, but your solution works fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah the price was hard but i found a deal. I originally had the oem polymer stock and mag well space was super sloppy. This stock holds mags firmly in place. Hardly any movement in any direction. Its great for reliable feeding.

Plus i really.like quality foldable stocks. They make the rifle compact to stow and carry.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ugh... i am still looking at tbe mp1522. Cant seem to get it off my mind.
The light weight , ease if loading the mp15-22 mags plus the ease of break down to cleaung of the gun has me obsessed.

I guess after selling some reloading molds and my my beloved lcpii 22lr i will get one to do a side by side.

I cant say enough good about my lcpii but my kel tec trigger is so much better.
They are same on the reliablity front.

Plus i shoot the kel tec just a bit better do to its size.

Registered
I've posted a lot about my recently bought 15-22. I really like it. No complaints (except came with only one mag). It's not a target gun but a lot of fun. Well worth the price. I had no trouble finding mags, I have six 25 round and six 10 round. Be aware there are short 10 rounders, and long 10 rounders. Mine are short.

Registered
FWIW, it comes with one 25 round mag, a front sight adjustment tool, a 1/8 allen wrench for the sight bases and M-Lok accessories, and one five slot M-Lok picatinny rail. It got used for my sling attachment, and I bought a second one for my laser. The rails are made in several lengths.

One thing I noted, it comes with Magpul sights that sell for $90 by theirselves.

Registered
I feel lucky that I have two credit cards, and both have zero balance. My late wife engineered the budget really well.

Registered
That is a very good deal. I paid $440 with no extras. I guess it evens out that mine was in store with no shipping or FFL fee. The M&P bag is almost identical to my Tac-Six that was $50, and the mags are $25 apiece. They say three total, so two are extras. Bag and mags = 100 bucks of freebies.

Registered
I owned a Smith & Wesson MP-15 22 for about 6 months. It functioned flawlessly but I did not care for it's accuracy. Tried several brands of ammo , peep sights ,red dot finally a scope. Finally gave up on it and traded it off at local gun show. Tried a Ruger Charger with 10 inch barrel next. Even with factory trigger easily outgrouped the MP-15. When I exchanged the trigger group it shot great. Not being a Ruger fanboy here just that is what happened to me.

While I had that accuracy problem with my MP-15 . Some one else may be completely satisfied with their's . As a dis
claimer I detest S&W because of how they ruined the Thompson Center brand. My accuracy standards are tough so that has a lot to do with it also. If I can't get 3/4 or 1 inch groups at 75 yds. I lose interest in that particular gun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts