Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 1022 takedown that supposedly had only 100 rds through it. I was installing a BX trigger and was going to install a nylon stop bolt when I noticed that there was NO stop bolt installed. I havent been able to contact seller so im hoping gun was diassembled for cleaning before sale and stop bolt was misplaced. If that wasnt the case could the gun have been shipped new originally without a stop bolt? Is it possible to fire rifle repeatedly without stop bolt?
If a 100 rds were fired without stop bolt what issues / damage could have been done?
I havent fired the gun since I purchased it, I just cleaned it ,intalled trigger,and nylon stop bolt!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
First, eliminate the possibility that the bolt stop pin fell out when you removed the stock. OEM pins are loose these days, it could easily have happened.

I don't think the action would cycle properly without the stop pin, so it was probably there from delivery through the most recent shot. If the rifle were shot without the stop pin, you would see evidence of impact and scraping at the rear of the receiver. In any case, as long as there is no damage to the receiver, you know what to do.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Are you sure the steel bolt stop didn't fall out when you swapped trigger groups. I've seen this happen more times than I can count.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I was careful to disassemble rifle with a white towel covering bench so as not to lose any parts. The purpose of disassembly was to change the stop bolt and trigger assembly so I did pay particular attention to those areas. I will re examine the area for scraping at the rear of receiver as you suggested. Again thank you for your advice. If all looks good I'll get to the range and put some rounds through it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The information given by those other gentlemen is the right way to go. I own a TAKEDOWN. I also replaced the trigger group, only I used a Timmeny (spelling) because of the Magazine release loo0ked better. It isn't!!!! I am constantly dropping the magazine. :) :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I just got a 10/22 breakdown but it won't breakdown
Welcome to the forum.
FYI, you should probably start a new thread in the future if your going to ask an unrelated question. More apt to get a helpful response that way.

The bolt needs to be locked back (open) before the takedown lever will allow barrel/forearm removal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bernardo: Could you describe in more detail the problem you are having? Have you read your Ruger Instruction Manual - the owner's manual - and followed the directions in it?

I have seen two typical errors made by new TD owners:

1. Failing to hold the release pin while turning the barrel.

2. Failing to lock the bolt back before attempting to remove the barrel.

Note that in the second case, the thing that prevents the barrel turning out is the extractor being stuck in its slot in the barrel. Twisting the barrel with the extractor trapped will bend or break your extractor.

Try these two things and please report back. Here in this thread is fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts