Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm interested in getting the 1022 takedown. I know that it comes with iron sights and is taped for a rail.

Is it possible to have a scope installed and still use the iron sights, or will the rail get in the way? If it does get in the way, could you recommend a way to have both iron sights & a scope mounted at the same time and both be usable?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kanuist, Welcome to the forum. Yes you can have a scope and still have your iron sights without remove them. Several manufactures make low profile rails with the center section is removed(channeled) so you can still use your iron sights without your rail blocking the sight.
Several companies make it: Tactical solutions, UTG, Archangel to name a few. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Takedown came with a rail. Works fine for the scope I've added, and the iron sights are still functional.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you have a pic of the gun with the setup that you are talking about? What parts would I need to mount a scope and use the iron sights? Does it function well like that?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Whether it fits in the case with scope attched mostly depends on the forward length of the scope. The farther it extends past the front of the receiver, the less likely to fit. Ring heighth may affect fit also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used warne QD rings so the scope comes off easily and slides into the bag seperately from the receiver. Stays zeroed fine. Second up from the bottom in pic at the left--- iron sights still work fine too. I did not use the Ruger rail but put a Tactical Solutions rail on instead.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hello, I'm interested in getting the 1022 takedown. I know that it comes with iron sights and is taped for a rail.

Is it possible to have a scope installed and still use the iron sights, or will the rail get in the way? If it does get in the way, could you recommend a way to have both iron sights & a scope mounted at the same time and both be usable?
If you want to use iron sights and scope be certain to get what I would call "high rise mounts.

I have a TD and put a Nikon 3-9x Prostaff Rimfire on it w/ quality quick disconnect mounts. A nice rig but will not fit in the bag w/ scope mounted. :-( Not certain yet if its me or the nature of the beast but I get varying accuracy when taking the scope off and on. If keeping the scope mounted while in the bag is a priority, make certain the scope you chose, when mounted, doesn't extend beyond the receiver portion of the gun.

hth

·
Registered
16 Posts
scope

Recently put a Nikon Prostaff scope on mine with the included rail and some 22 rings (I think they were Burris)that I picked up at Cabela's. I can still barely see the sights with that rail attached but have not tried to use the sights with the scope on. The scope is 11.5 inches and mounted as far back as I could. It will fit in the bag if I just lay it in and don't put it in the sleeve. The bag is nice but not sure if it is reason enough not to get the scope and rings you want just because they won't fit. You can always get another case if you get the gun set up the way you want it and it won't work with the bag.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I hear people are having trouble fitting the rifle back in the case with it scoped.
+1 on that. my simmons scope was pretty small overall, and it barely fit in the larger pocket, and then flap wouldn't close right. mind you it did cover the scope and stock, just didn't fit well. AND the whole bag would still zip up, so in the long run it wasn't really a problem. i imagine you're going to narrow the field of possibilities pretty quickly finding a small enough scope that you can put on mounts that will still allow for the sights.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree, but if I have the bag and there is a good setup for a scope mount and decent scope that both fits in the bag and gives me use of the iron sights, I was hoping someone has done it and has a pic and review of the setup.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I would like to see pictures of your take downs. Too bad some are having difficulty fitting the gun easily back into backpack with scope attached.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The main problem you have is that the factory cheek rest of the butt is made to fit the factory iron sights...

To make best use of the scope you need to add a cheek rest that brings your eye level up to the scope level...the lower you mount the scope the easier it will be to add a cheek rest...

The problem you will have with any scope/mount/iron-sight combo is the eye level for the scope and the iron sights will ALWAYS be different...usually with the iron sights being MUCH lower eye level...if your cheek rest is set up right...there is no way you can use the iron-sights...unless the cheek rest is removable...which is relatively easy to do...

IMO...for the application...I'd use a screw-on cheek rest for the scope...be dedicated to using the scope exclusively...have a small but high quality scope...and only remove the cheek rest to use the factory sights IF something happens to your scope...

For a take down (I don't own one) the concept is compact/light weight...therefore I'd stick to the smallest and most rugged (meaning good quality) scope that will allow you to see what you need to see at the range you intend to use the gun...

As for rings...the lowest-mount, low-cost rings that will allow you to quickly and easily remove the scope for packing/traveling/cleaning are the Weaver LOW steel band type with the large coin-slot screw heads...

The most flexibility you can get with regard to a low-cost rail is the Weaver multi-slot rail...it will let you place the scope fore/aft with solid mounting using the Weaver low rings...

In this thread you can see what I went thru trying to get the same eye level with both scope and peep sights...it can be done...but it is not cheap or easy...I wound up blowing it off...

However, there are some good pics and links to the products in them for reference...

http://rugerforum.net/optics/59538-low_lower_lowest.html?

One thing to note...a Bushnell TRS-25 3MOA Red Dot is a great compromise between iron sights and scope...lighter, smaller, easy to on/off...cost 1/2-1/3 of a quality scope...and having the perfect eye level for the cheek rest is not critical like it is with a scope...

Personally...if I had a take down...it would have a Weaver multi-slot rail...a Cleckner style removable cheek rest...with a TRS-25 Red Dot and the factory sights as a backup...

Learn how to set up your cheek rest from the best...makes a day and night difference regardless of sight/dot/scope as long as the eye level is as good as it can be for whatever system you are using...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
So what are the proper scope rings? I don't want to high mount the scope
Leupold makes "See Through Rings"...

As far as the height of the scope rings, they must be high enough where the rear blade has enough clearance from the scope so that it doesn't interfere with the take down and assembly of the rifle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks, that gives me a great visual reference. Now will that make the scope sit too high to make it uncomgortable to use a 2x7x32 scope?

I want the use of both the scope and the iron sights.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts