Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I’m trying to trouble shoot what my issue(s) is and I need your help. I’m a new reloader and have been using the Lee classic turret. I’ve reloaded about 500 rds of 45acp using Lee dies and they all feed and shoot great. But I’ll be danged if I can put together a consistent cartridge in 10mm with my Hornady dies. I can make a dummy cartidge and it’ll plunk in my kkm barrel every time. The minute I put a charge in it changes everything. One round in drop right in, the other will only go half. I’ve tried dramatically flared to barely flared. I’ve tried the whole range of crimp. I do have Hornady #546533 dies, which is there “standard crimp” set… they offer another set with a taper crimp. Is this my issue?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
i suggest trying no crimp or the tapered crimp. Semi autos headspace on the case not the rim so that could be your problem.
How are you charging the cartridges ? If you're using a charging die ,is it set properly?

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
Is the case seating properly with a bullet seated? I am wondering if you are crimping too much to where you are getting a bulge where when seating and crimping in the same operation, the bullet is still being seated while the crimp is simultaneously being applied. Take one that doesn’t fit and look and feel around the case, particularly where the base of the bullet is in relation to the case.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i suggest trying no crimp or the tapered crimp. Semi autos on the case not the rim so that could be your problem.
How are you charging the cartridges ? If you're using a charging die ,is it set properly?
Even with minimal flare from both my Hornady and my Lee charging die the cartidge will not chamber till I put enough crimp on it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the case seating properly with a bullet seated? I am wondering if you are crimping too much to where you are getting a bulge where when seating and crimping in the same operation, the bullet is still being seated while the crimp is simultaneously being applied. Take one that doesn’t fit and look and feel around the case, particularly where the base of the bullet is in relation to the case.
This was my initial thought and a good possibility. The last attempt at setting this up I used minimal flare and no crimp. The cartridge would not chamber. I then slowly added crimp till round would chamber. After that I made up a half dozen rounds. Some plunked, some wouldn’t.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Without being there to see with my own two eyes I’m not going to try to trouble shoot anything but I will say I’ve become a big fan of the Lee factory crimp die, it’s an extra step but incorporating it into my process helped a few things along the way for me
Good luck

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
If you haven't ... trim all your brass to one consistent length .
The 10mm headspaces on the case mouth edge ... Taper crimp only , a roll crimp can bulge the case below the bullet , see where your case is stopping in photo #2 ? I bet the case has bulged from too much crimp .
Next ... Seat the bullet in one step (with no crimp) come back and Crimp the bullet with a moderate taper crimp . You don't want to put a roll crimp on the mouth ... if I remember correctly those dies will taper crimp and if screwed down far enough go into a roll crimp , so check the crimp .
Sometimes as a bullet is being seated & crimped in one operation ...the bullet is moving down in the case and the crimp closes the case on the bullet ... as the bullet finishes moving down the case pooches (bulges) out ... that slight bulge stops the plunk .
Thicker walled cases bulge more than thinner walled , try to sort your brass to one headstamp ...easier to adjust dies without a llonger / shorter & thicker / thinner cases all mixed in together .
If this doesn't work ... Holler out , we got you on this.
Gary

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
One thought that I had, is your seating die adjusted so the bullet is fully seated before the die starts the crimp ? A slight error in adjustment can result in a bulged case because the "crimp" is started before the bullet is fully seated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I posted my problem here and on 1911forum and between the two groups I think we got it figured out. I’m using a mixed bag of brass because I just picked up my 10mm during this shortage and I can’t find brass only loaded ammo. I got different lengths of brass and with the one step process some come out good while others’ have longer casings and end up bulged. From what I understand from everyone is that if I separate the sequences I’ll get my consistent seating depth and then my crimp. Which makes sense why I have been able to produce quality ammo in 45 with my Lee dies but now ran into trouble. I’ll get a taper die and get back to you guys.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Good advice here. I had issues when trying to do the seat and crimp at the same time, different caliber and issue, same cause. I’ve gone to seating and crimping in separate steps for all calibers and have much more consistent rounds and no issues.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I posted my problem here and on 1911forum and between the two groups I think we got it figured out. I’m using a mixed bag of brass because I just picked up my 10mm during this shortage and I can’t find brass only loaded ammo. I got different lengths of brass and with the one step process some come out good while others’ have longer casings and end up bulged. From what I understand from everyone is that if I separate the sequences I’ll get my consistent seating depth and then my crimp. Which makes sense why I have been able to produce quality ammo in 45 with my Lee dies but now ran into trouble. I’ll get a taper die and get back to you guys.
Your 10 mm die should come standard with a taper crimp ... if I remember correctly , if you keep screwing the die down and go far enough you will run into a roll crimp section at the very top ... Check your dies .
I never thought this tape & roll crimp all built into one die was a great idea ... but they didn't ask me !
Maybe a taper crimp only die is the answer ... Don't give up ...Keep On Loading !
Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts