Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

10MM is the BEST all around, revolver cartridge...

11K views 170 replies 53 participants last post by  brnwlms 
#1 ·
Can do anything the 9MM, .38 and .357 can do, often with a heavier payload, can nearly match the .41 which while great, isn't really an all around caliber, same goes for the venerable .44.
We can have a 10MM in 3 to 6 inches, load with Moon Clips for lightening fast reloads, with anything from .40 Short and Weak range plinkers to full house bear loads. Concealed with my 3", hunting with a Super Redhawk, my 5" in ICORE competition, it's the perfect round.

Yes, the mighty 10, is the best cartridge ever designed, not for a revolver but, in a revolver. Should one want or, need to run one in a PCC, that's available too and just think of a 10MM in a ten inch canned barrel, sending 165-200 grain freedom seeds down range!

Straight wall cases, easy to reload, tons of powders work great, bullet weights from 155 to 200+ (Coated Lead) all being moved at warp speed...

Discuss.

#7 ·
Can do anything the 9MM, .38 and .357 can do, often with a heavier payload, can nearly match the .41 which while great, isn't really an all around caliber, same goes for the venerable .44.
We can have a 10MM in 3 to 6 inches, load with Moon Clips for lightening fast reloads, with anything from .40 Short and Weak range plinkers to full house bear loads. Concealed with my 3", hunting with a Super Redhawk, my 5" in ICORE competition, it's the perfect round.

Yes, the mighty 10, is the best cartridge ever designed, not for a revolver but, in a revolver. Should one want or, need to run one in a PCC, that's available too and just think of a 10MM in a ten inch canned barrel, sending 165-200 grain freedom seeds down range!

Straight wall cases, easy to reload, tons of powders work great, bullet weights from 155 to 200+ (Coated Lead) all being moved at warp speed...

Discuss.
Well, I certainly like the cartridge in a semi-auto as a self defense round. And I do agree it is a versatile round with a wide range of bullet choices, but not sure it is better than the .41 or .44 magnum............ but it does have it's place...

#62 · (Edited)
I like my 10mm handguns
View attachment 170299

but like the .357 magnum, they top out around 800 foot-pounds of muzzle energy which is where the .41 magnum begins.
View attachment 170300
Raise you 4 CDEs, Kimber Series-1 1911, Glock 20/29, a SA XDM, a Sig P220 Hunter and an Oly Arms 10mm AR and a SW 610 and a GP100 MC. Love 10!

41 is sweet 2.

I never said "better"...;) I said best all around..N Frames and Super Redhawks suk for everyday carry
You can carry a 3-4" SW 610 or GP100 MC with a quality pancake holster, Simply Rugged makes a fine revolver holster for concealed with a shirt, vest or jacket.

Reactions: LimaCharlie
#14 ·
Not quite sure how a rimless cartridge is the best for a revolver. Sure, you can use moon clips, but they are not without fault (i am actually a fan of moon clips). They are fragile and need protection. Competition is a great place for moon clips, but they are not a jump drop a couple loaded moon clips in your pocket and forget about it. That is a recipe for bent clips, popped cartridges, etc. And you are in a situation where every cartridge must be mooned (in a DA). So how can the best revolver cartridge ever be one that you can’t just drop some extra shells in your pocket and be fine, or one where you need a third party device such as a moon clip to get it to function as needed? After all, you gonna carry around a pencil just to push out unmoored cases?
So, is the 10mm a great cartridge? Definitely. I have a handful of them in auto, single and double action. But to call it the best is ignoring the huge deficiencies and challenges it poses in a revolver.

#16 ·
The “mighty” 10mm isn’t up to the .40+ magnums but it is equal or better than the .357.
But just from my perspective, I regularly carry Ranch Products moonclipped 10mm in my pants pocket and have never bent one. Any force that bends one is going to leave a bruise. TK clips are probably even better but pricey.
In my 3” GP-100 I can shoot unclipped ammunition with 100% reliability AND with the first two cylinder fulls I can open the cylinder, bump the gun against my palm and the empties will fall out. Any other time I can use a fingertip to extract them.
In my humble opinion Starline needs to make some 10mm AutoRim brass, then the 10mm would be the best revolver cartridge. ;)

#22 ·
125 JHP best manstopper ever...no doubt but, the 10MM was never given a chance..

#28 ·
😅 you said "canned" 🤣🤣🤣

I'm left (long before this thread) why I cannot find a 10mm auto carbine under $1500...?
I've owned and taken short range deer with a 10mm revolver but they are all outclassed by a Contender... My old AMT 6" Javelina shoots as straight as anything and handles a 200gr bullet at 1200fps like ice cream down a sore throat..
Where are the 10mm carbines if it is s7ch a superior cartridge? Are we talking about the best for killing paper targets?
Let's think about the statement.
Show me a couple carbines that any maker's marketing dept couldn't wait to launch, etc.

All things considered, I put a mini-10mm on my list to Santa. The mini14 action is probably Rugers most versatile design...

#30 ·
😅 you said "canned" 🤣🤣🤣

I'm left (long before this thread) why I cannot find a 10mm auto carbine under $1500...?
I've owned and taken short range deer with a 10mm revolver but they are all outclassed by a Contender... My old AMT 6" Javelina shoots as straight as anything and handles a 200gr bullet at 1200fps like ice cream down a sore throat..
Where are the 10mm carbines if it is s7ch a superior cartridge? Are we talking about the best for killing paper targets?
Let's think about the statement.
Show me a couple carbines that any maker's marketing dept couldn't wait to launch, etc.

All things considered, I put a mini-10mm on my list to Santa. The mini14 action is probably Rugers most versatile design...
The CMMG is about that, isn't it? Although, it's AR pattern..

#36 ·
“NORMA, utilized a 5” test barrel with “Power-Seal” rifling (same as length as the full size Bren Ten to test the new ammo. The tested velocity was said to be 1260 feet per second which equates to 704 foot pounds of energy in April of 1983 with a 200 grain Jacketed Truncated Cone bullet with a 37,000 CUP (copper units of pressure) for a 10 shot average. This placed the energy between the 158 grain .357 magnum and the 240 grain .44 magnum performance and nearly equal to the .41 magnum. Also the accuracy was an outstanding 0.45” at 50 yards…NORMA then developed an even faster 170 grain Jacketed Hollow Point rated at 1300 feet per second and 636 foot pounds energy, introduced at SHOT in 1985 in Atlanta, Georgia.”

Like I stated, nearly..

Reactions: frog4aday
#38 ·
Don't own one. For a long time in the middle of the plandemic, their were some GP-100s in 10 mm. They sat on the shelves for a long time. Looks like they eventually sold. Same revolver in 357 mag always sold in a day or 2. I picked up a 10 and said, meh. Not interested. Still not.
But then again, many people spend way more money on firearms than me. So if any sort of gun is what you want and you can afford it, get it.

#40 · (Edited)
If it was so great why has no military adopted it? Why does the FBI keep bypassing it? Where is the micro compact in 10mm?

I know, you are going to blame politics or something like that. If it isn't the conclusion you support, it can't be legit.

(To be clear, I own a 10mm pistol, a Glock 20. I like it. But it's not the best all around cartridge. I think its pretty clear 9mm is. )

#42 · (Edited)
If it was so great why has no military adopted it? Why does the FBI keep bypassing it? Where is the micro compact in 10mm?

I know, you are going to blame politics or something like that. If it isn't the conclusion you support, it can't be legit.

(To be clear, I own a 10mm pistol, a Glock 21. I like it. But it's not the best all around cartridge. I think its pretty clear 9mm is. )
I wasn’t aware a Glock 21 was a revolver, nor was I aware, the military and FBI were still issuing revolvers. Nor was I aware any auto would reliably run .40 if you so chose.
If you shoot me a link, I’ll check it out and have an answer.
Or not..the whole thread is tongue and cheek..

#44 ·
Maybe, if you buy your ammo at Bass Pro. I have a couple boxes of Double Tap that is loaded to old 10MM velocities but, I’ve only shot a cylinder full.
I make my own ammo, so can load it as I see fit.

Reactions: maddmatter1970
#47 · (Edited)
10mm is a pretty cool round, I'll give you that.
It's the concept "BEST" I can't get behind ,,,,,, ever!
We see it here often . Be it action type , caliber , barrel length ,grip shape , whatever.
Just so much opinionated click bait claptrap.
Proclaiming something/anything as the best merely reveals your focus is narrow and precludes EVER trying anything else.
Shooters come with a wide range of needs and wants so at best any variation can be good/great for some and near worthless to many others.
Best is often only best till the next best shows up.
If you say YOU like it and it works well doing what you do you will certainly not get the push back encountered here.
Who knows ? You might even get some agreement from a few.
But If you like splitting hairs and herding cats just keep telling the masses what is "BEST" for them.

#48 ·
Best all around, I don't know. But as a very longtime fan of the 10mm cartridge, I enjoy these discussions. I have owned a few S&W and Ruger 10mm revolvers. IMHO, the "real" 10mm cartridge loadings approximate the power of the .357 cartridge, not the .41 Magnum.

FWIW, the original Norma 200 grain 10MM was advertised as 1200 FPS. In my 5" revolvers and semi-autos, the Norma load did average a chronographed 1200 FPS or so. I chronographed the very last of my original Norma 200 grain in a 5" GP100. It averaged 1211 FPS.

Within the last couple years, I chronographed Buffalo Bore 180 grain in a couple of 4" revolvers. The BB 180 10MM averaged 1289 FPS in a GP100, the .357 180 1402 FPS in a S&W 686. Different firearms, even exact same models, may give significantly different results, so YMMV...

#54 ·
It’s no more expensive to reload than anything else..
But, lets hear them! I’m open minded!! Same stuff as above..concealable as a daily, bear medicine in a pinch, PCC availability..tons of bullet weights, a short version…etc..

#55 ·
I think 44 Mag is the BEST revolver round. Powerful but can be loaded down, ammo everywhere, accurate, chambered in any type of handgun you could want.

I think 10mm is the BEST 1911 round. Powerful but can be loaded down, ammo available, accurate. The weight of a steel 1911 is perfect for the power of the 10mm, makes it easy to shoot accurately. Twice the power of the .45 and flatter shooting.

#56 ·
The .357 mag is a better revolver round. More versitive with the ability to shoot 110 grains all the way through 180 grains. Can get loads with higher velocity and loads with more energy. And guess what? Doesn’t suffer from the fatal flaw of not having a rim. You call it a little thing, but the 10mm needs training wheels in the form of moon clips to be 100% reliable. For it to be the best revolver cartridge, it needs to be 100% usable in all situations without giving it a thought. And I see you are changing your premise from revolvers and now your position is shifting to all these other situations. I think it’s very interesting you are now bringing up a PCC, but ignore the lever action in a handgun cartridge. The only advantage of a PCC is the potential of a rifle that shares magazines with your handgun, and if you are running a 10mm in a revolver, well, I guess you aren’t sharing magazines unless someone makes a PCC that runs off moon clips. So keep being a troll, keep chasing down every comment because everyone knows you are wrong and what you are doing, and keep showing everyone how smart and educated you are in firearm ballistics. You are obviously convincing everyone judging by everyone that has jumped on to this discussion to agree with you.

#57 · (Edited)
The .357 mag is a better revolver round. More versitive with the ability to shoot 110 grains all the way through 180 grains. Can get loads with higher velocity and loads with more energy. And guess what? Doesn’t suffer from the fatal flaw of not having a rim.
Amen!!
Not to mention I can have a 12oz carry revolver for SD, and have a 50+oz SA for heavy hitting hunting loads.
Also... the limitless choice of bullet and powder selection for reloading!!
Versatility, performance, 357 easily!
The OP's argument is nothing more than obvious fanboy delusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.