Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, don't shoot me..or my drone....

DJI has put three of their quadcopters (drones) on sale. Their standard, their advanced and their 4k are all on sale at really good prices.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

You can now get the Advanced model for $799 (down from $999) and the standard for $499 (down from $799). The 4k is also on sale but, I don't think I would ever buy that one.

They also have an EDU discount (I don't qualify) but those of you with an EDU address, there are additional deep discounts available.

I went for the Advanced model which has 2.7k camera and an operational distance up to 5km. It should be here on Tuesday. Looking forward to getting some flight time on it.

I want to use it to video my christmas lights display next year as well as on the range. I can see it being useful as a nifty target camera on the long ranges. Take a few shots, buzz the target to see where the holes are, land and take some more shots. And it might be fun to watch an IDPA comp from the air :)

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
It's nice to see the bigger drone are now becoming more reasonably priced. Makes it much easier for those with a limited budget to get into this amazingly fun and addicting hobby.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
When I was a kid in Denver back in the 50's I used to wash and clean up cars for my classmates..make a few bucks...There were 2 brothers that had a really nice Chevy (think it was a 50 ) and I used to clean it up for them now and then...their names were Neil and Linden Blue...their Mom was a realtor in Denver and they were just guys I knew...

They now own General Atomics (private company) here in San Diego ....they make the Predator and other high tech drones for the military....Maybe I should stop by and say hi some day and see if I can buy a used Predator...I'm sure I couldn't afford the soap to wash their cars these days...mega rich folks and "high society" in the area....never know where the old school friends will end up.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dad got my 41/2 year old grandson his great grandson a large drone it was returned by my daughter and son in law.
Yea, not sure one of these is appropriate for a 4-5yr old. Honestly. Get him some legos or tinker toys. Once he gets older then get him a RC car. Once he figures that out, then maybe he is ready for a flying RC anything. But at 4? What was your dad thinking?

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Just make sure you register with the FAA if over 1/2# .... You did know that now right?

FAA Registration

FAA FAQs

And the problem is all R/C aircraft has been affected by these quads and FPV machines. No longer a 'hobby' like it used to be :eek: .

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Yea, not sure one of these is appropriate for a 4-5yr old. Honestly. Get him some legos or tinker toys. Once he gets older then get him a RC car. Once he figures that out, then maybe he is ready for a flying RC anything. But at 4? What was your dad thinking?
Can't really agree on that. Both my boys started playing complex video games at a rather young age. Granted they mainly just drove around in circles playing GTA games, but still they got the hang of it fast. As for drone flying, my oldest is a pro at both his and mine drones. Modern drones are pretty fool proof and even my youngest has no problem maneuvering them around the house. Little brother is going to be joining the Air Force later this year and he'll be able to fly the real drones. :cool:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just make sure you register with the FAA if over 1/2# .... You did know that now right?

FAA Registration

FAA FAQs

And the problem is all R/C aircraft has been affected by these quads and FPV machines. No longer a 'hobby' like it used to be :eek: .
I know. And not happening.

AMA really dropped the ball here. Been flying RC since the 70's. Mostly fixed wing but I mowed a lot of grass learning to get my chopper off the ground. Now I know why they call em choppers ;) I have flown nearly every class of RC from control line to multi-engine turbine including multi-stage rockets.

This will be my first quad. And they can stuff their "regulation". Its being challenged by many lawsuits anyway and it may well not stand in court.

And I don't give a damn what the FAA says. I ain't registering and letting them have my personal data to know where to send the men in black to confiscate it or them when they decide to make them illegal.

I won't be buzzing control towers with it. I won't be flying around at 2000' with it. I won't be hovering around outside someone's bedroom window with it. They have no need to know I have it and its none of their damn business.

Can't really agree on that. Both my boys started playing complex video games at a rather young age. Granted they mainly just drove around in circles playing GTA games, but still they got the hang of it fast. As for drone flying, my oldest is a pro at both his and mine drones. Modern drones are pretty fool proof and even my youngest has no problem maneuvering them around the house. Little brother is going to be joining the Air Force later this year and he'll be able to fly the real drones. :cool:
So you let your kids play GTA. You going to hand them the keys to your car and let them take it for a spin? I certainly won't be handing my granddaughters the keys to my truck.

You didn't say how old your "oldest" is. My youngest GD is 9, next in line is 11. GD9 can handle a 22 pistol and does fine shooting a rifle out to 300yd. She had to prove she could handle those safely. She will be required to do the same with this quad before I get them their own. And when/if I do get them one, it won't be a $1000 quad either. It will be something with a little less expense attached to it.

I didn't say kids have no place with drones. I said a 4yr old doesn't. At least no 4yr old I have ever been around. 8, 9 10? Depends on the kid.

And thank your brother for his commitment.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Drones good shotgun targets!!!
Expensive ones you mean. Not to mention all the "bigger" drones nowadays fly WAY higher than a shotgun could reach. :cool: I think we're all perfectly content with shooting our inexpensive clays. ;)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually i was considering hanging some string from the bottom of the copter, say 10'. Then a stick and to that a paper target. It could fly along the berm. I think it would be a fun practice for some long range shooting (600yd+). You then have to factor in bullet travel time into your shot calcs instead of a static non-moving target.

I know the guys I shoot with, 10' is plenty of clearance.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it. Even if the targets hung by the strings are weighted, there's still a very high chance the strings could be sucked into or just become tangled in the rotor blades.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can't be sucked in, well, unless I start trying to hang it upside down and defy gravity.

The props blow down, not suck up.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
You know what I was meaning! :D It's only 0920 and I'm waking up from my cheap beer and codeine sleep.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know what I was meaning! :D It's only 0920 and I'm waking up from my cheap beer and codeine sleep.
You are lucky. Lots of folks don't wake up from alcohol and codeine.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She got here today :) Batteries charging. Can't wait to get her home and get at least a minimal first flight and some touch and go's in the field out back (well lit). Keeping it close to the ground for the first few flights, especially since its gonna be dark by the time I get home.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Sweet! Hope you post videos of your entry flight.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here you go. Not exactly 2001 a Space Odyssey. I planned on limiting the first few flights until I got a feel for it. Also, it was dark in the field in back. Apparently the solar (stupid) flower doesn't work at night :eek: You can see the dark field (which is normally lit) and the silly solar flower at about 1:14 into the first video.

I flew from the sidewalk in front of the neighbor's house (he is my SIL so its cool). My driveway is full of cars and the part that isn't has a tree hanging over it.

First two flights. One each for each of the granddaughters last night. And it was cold, ~12F, and my fingers got cold after a few minutes so another good reason to limit flight times :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdKZUcaKvwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVaIMnxSztE

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 32 Posts