Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Mossberg 12 ga combo, but wanted a 18" cyl bore barreled 12 ga for home security like the Mossberg Maverick. Well, in these times, forget about it! None to be had on the planet. Sooo, figured I'd buy a smooth bore 18" barrel for the 500. First of all they want $200, second of all none on the planet. Sooo, found a brand new 28" vent rib mod choke on fleabay for $82 free shipping. Took a sawzall to that puppy, a little magic marker to the bare metal + voila.

Righteous Dude
That's how Bubba has been doing it for decades! 馃槅馃槈

Looks good and functional! Well done. 馃槉

Premium Member
A Shockwave works great also!

Grand Inquisitor
Very similar to my shatter gun. My New Haven 600 wears a short barrel from Corson鈥檚 until deer season, then goes back to its original longer barrel. Got a little flashlight mounted, too.

You did a great job on the conversion.

Cat Herder
Ive done the same. The 18" barrel with a vent rib makes for better shooting through the extra weight. I finally found a couple years ago a 21" vent rib threaded barrel for my 870, so I can use a cylinder bore choke for HD, and put something else in for clays or whatnot.

Premium Member
Nice job..been thinking of doing the same thing.

Super Moderator
You can cut straighter with a Sawzall than I ever could. Good job.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
You can cut straighter with a Sawzall than I ever could. Good job.
Well, guess I better be honest. I watched a few Youtube videos first. One guy put a radiator hose clamp on the barrel to guide the saw. Be sure + put it on the end you're gonna cut off. Another applied tape to the barrel before cutting. So I did both + it worked out great. PU Hiviz site on fleabay for $6 tp finish it off.

Premium Member
Well done!

Registered
When you get a chance, buy a extended magazine tube to increase the amount of shells in the magazine. Another thing is look for a light and clamps to attach a small bright flashlight to the magazine tube with a remote pressure switch for night time use.

"The Real Deal"
Very nice job, i like it. I have throwed around the idea of putting an 18.5 on my remy 870 in 20 gauge for possible home defense duty. However i have a tac 14 and it does the job very well due to its size.

I have been after a winchester 1300 defender 18.5 12 gauge fir many years that matches my 28" 1300 with blonde wood stocks. I have not found one in great condition yet.
Here is my tac 14.

Reactions: Kona26

Registered
Nicely done. I like short barrels on a home defense gun. I am an 870 fan so have a mix, no two in the same configuration so I can cover many bases. Hunting, sport, and home defense.

Premium Member
Bought my old Maverick 88 back in 2000. It was in a bullpup configuration that I could not really shoot very much, but I needed something fast for a trip to Taos to sell some turquoise stuff so I got it from a pawn shop here in town for a couple hundred bucks. After I got home, I put it in the safe for several years till I decided I wanted to keep it and then put a Blackhawk Knox adjustable stock and matching forearm on it. It sits out in a bedroom corner loaded with number 4 shot for the home defense roll. Nice short barrel with a light on it. Looks pretty much like your 870 second from the bottom, Rubone. Could not shoot the bullpup because I had a bike wreck and broke the top five ribs on my right side, broke my collar bone and dislocated my right shoulder, too. The bullpup just did not work for left-handed shooting because of its configuration. All is good, though, as I am right handed but left eyed so I shoot all my long guns left handed.

Registered
I'm planning to buy a shotgun, also.

It's a ways off yet, but doing my homework early, seeing what's out there.

In what I want? Nada. :oops:

Ammo is even more non-existent (buckshot is what I most seek).

But ya'll are puttin' ideas in my head.

OP, really nice work on the barrel. Congrats.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
When you get a chance, buy a extended magazine tube to increase the amount of shells in the magazine. Another thing is look for a light and clamps to attach a small bright flashlight to the magazine tube with a remote pressure switch for night time use.
Didn't realize I could extend the mag tube. Agreed, that's a must, I'll start lookin!

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are puttin tears in my eyes talkin bought 870s. I had a 870 Wingmaster bought brand new at the PX when I was in the Marines for $168. Absolutely LOVED that gun. This was a Wingmaster now, NOT an Express (no such thing back then). My son was visiting + it followed him home along with my Ruger stainless steel 10/22, and Rem 700BDL 308. Bein a cheapskate, I rpl the Wingmaster with this Mossberg 500 combo, the 700BDL with a used Rem mod 760 chambered for .270, and a Henry lever action .22. Miss the 870 + 700, the Henry's a ball to shoot so the 10/22 not so much. The Mossberg is a very good gun but it AIN'T no Wingmaster!!! It's kinda like parkin my Road King next to a rice burner.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Well, puttin the ext mag tube on it just got canx! If you extend the mag tube you've got to rpl the barrel at the same time. Notice in my first pic, the barrel attaches to the mag tube. If you extend it, the tube is beyond the fixed take down screw. Think, I'll just strap on a few extra rounds and take closer aim.

Registered
Well, puttin the ext mag tube on it just got canx! If you extend the mag tube you've got to rpl the barrel at the same time. Notice in my first pic, the barrel attaches to the mag tube. If you extend it, the tube is beyond the fixed take down screw. Think, I'll just strap on a few extra rounds and take closer aim.
The extended mag tubes thread on in place of the factory take down cap.

That would have been great if this was a Remington 870, instead of a Mossberg

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
The extended mag tubes thread on in place of the factory take down cap.
Yeah precisely, but if you'll look at this pic, Mossberg barrels have a ring permantly attached to the barrel which secures the barrel to the tube. If you extend the tube, the new tube would be beyond that ring. So, you'd have to install a barrel that had the ring attached further out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts