Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I've never owned a security six , service six , or speed six revolver before , always been fine with my gp100 and my Ruger single actions . But I was reading some older posts and the 150 prefix and low back guns were mentioned several times .
Are the 150 prefix guns better ? What is the low back guns ? Could someone explain this to me ? Thanks .

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Could you post some pics?

·
Registered
793 Posts
The grip frame on the 150 series was different than the 151 and higher series. Since I only have six series with the high back frame, I have no pictures to show the difference in the frames. But, some 150 do have the high back frame and some 151 have the low back frame which were made during the transition. Someone here will probably post some pics of the two.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Lowback vs Highback Security-Six

Lowback Security Six:

In the photos below notice how much the frame slopes down more below the hammer and towards the rear of the gun. Also note the different shape of the grips with a more rounded profile at the top and for it being somewhat larger and wider at the base, compared to the raised(higher)frame which has hardly any detectable slope to the rear of the gun and with a narrower and more pointed shape of the grips at the top as well as being narrower at the base and being smaller overall. Lastly notice that the back of the grip frame on the lowback is straighter and isn't raised up and angled back virtually straight up to cause the frame to rest against the web of your hand during firing.

Highback Security Six:

·
Super Moderator
21,692 Posts
ptblank:

Those are a couple of fine looking sixes. Have either been shot?

·
Registered
818 Posts
terry-p:

Thanks for the compliment! But no, neither of those Security sixes have ever been shot. I always keep my mint Sixes in unshot condition!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
As ugly as my mind usually finds the high-back DA revolver design, I throw-up a little in my mouth whenever I see a picture of a low-back. I guess I'm just used to the highbacks now, but man, the low-backs look SO WEIRD!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Matter of opinion I guess. The high back doesn't look like the grips are even for that frame, while the grips follow frame contour on low back. Just depends on what you find more visually appealing. High backs look better with the target grip. But that's just me

·
Registered
818 Posts
The grips on the high back are factory original on this NIB Security-Six. However except for originality I also tend to favor the target grips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts