Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you shoot a load this hot out of your SP101?

I did call Ruger and they thought it wasn't a good idea but was curious what you fellas thought of the load. It beats most factory ammo by 60 fpe.

Thanks.

PS. Don't forget to keep up the presure on your local and national politicians. Fienstien is intruducing her bill tomorrow...........NOT GOOD!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Would you shoot a load this hot out of your SP101?

I did call Ruger and they thought it wasn't a good idea but was curious what you fellas thought of the load. It beats most factory ammo by 60 fpe.

Thanks.

PS. Don't forget to keep up the presure on your local and national politicians. Fienstien is intruducing her bill tomorrow...........NOT GOOD!
The Hornady 8th manual shows an 14.3 gr. load of 2400 at 1200 fps for a .357 Mag. and 6.0 gr. of Power Pistol at 850 fps for a .38 spl.

Are you talking about the .357 version of the SP-101 or the .38 version?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is for 357......sorry about that. It is also a "factory" load and not hand loaded.

Would you load this hot for an SP101?

·
Registered
271 Posts
They would probably be pretty hard to hang onto, and could hurt. I load 357 pretty hot to fire out of my Marlin, gave one to a friend to try in his plastic lite-weight. He said never again.

I wouldn't do it, but then I shoot for fun, not trying to push the limit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
158 gr 763fpe ... Would you shoot a load this hot out of your SP101?
If you mean a 158 grain bullet @ 763 ft-lbs of energy, yes I would. Fiocchi's product 357E is a 148 gr SJHP @ 1500 fps and a ke of 739. It's a little brisk, but very manageable in an SP101 if you've upgraded to the monogrip. I probably shot 25 boxes of that before I began reloading.

If you're looking for punishment, go with the Buffalo Bore 180 gr SWC @ 1508 fps. KE there is 909.

As you're aware, the KE is based on mass and velocity. Typically, the quoted velocity is for a longer barrel than that found on your SP101. Your velocity and KE will be less.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Handloads calculator:

Energy Calculator

This shows a 158 gr. bullet from a 2 1/4" barrel would need 1475 fps to achieve 763 fpe, if you plug in those numbers. That seems on the Toasty side for a Jacketed bullet if you are talking about achieving that from a short barrel like the SP101.

Maybe from an 8" barrel, but that seems too hot for me to find a load that hits that velocity from a 2 1/4" barrel. I wonder how hot a load you would need??
?

Hornady shows 15.6 gr. gr. of H110 at 1250 fps from a Colt Python as the Max load for the 158 gr. XTP. I realize you are not loading, but that comes to 548 fps from that calculator. For what THAT is worth, but I am no expert, just curious now myself.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,305 Posts
I shoot Buffalo Bore 125 gr. J.H.C. rated at 1,700 fps/M.E. 802 ft. lbs. from a six inch Ruger GP100 out of my S&W J-Frame which drops the speed down to around 1476 fps. I just don't shoot a lot of them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SP is the 4.2" version and recoil is not the real concern and I understand that the velocity on Underwoods site is probably out of at least a 6" barrel but most factory tests are with longer barrels and it's still hotter than most.Recoil is not as much of an issue as wear on the gun from shooting hot loads.

Gil at Ruger looked at the info and advised not to use this load. Hornady's boot apparently suggests something lower than 600 fpe. Others suggest that they load or shoot ammo at 800 fpe. The round will be carried in the field and practised with so it will not be just a few rounds at the range for that "holy shit" moment.

There lies the conundrum..........

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know the SP101 is capable. From the GP100, 14.8gr 2400 under a 158gr Missouri SWC averaged 1,535 fps for 827 FPE. Granted it would be slower from a SP101, but still stout for a .357 Mag.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Underwood markets a fine product. Their niche seems to be to offer some of the fastest ammo around @ a reasonable price. I've used their product in 45ACP, 45LC, and 357.

However, faster is not always better. You'll notice that the Gold Dot 158gr 357 is out of stock. It was pulled from their inventory after ballistic testing by tnoutdoors9 demonstrated unreliable expansion of the Gold Dot @ high speed.

If you're looking for a reliable SD round, I would stick with engineered bullets @ "normal" (for them) velocities.

tnoutdoors9 @ youtube

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,305 Posts
A Ruger employee will never recommend shooting a steady diet of very hot +P rounds for liability reasons. Ruger makes some of the strongest double action revolvers available.

My Ruger .357 magnum revolver is a Blackhawk made in 1970. It is in great shape after many hot rounds through it. Our .357 magnum double action revolvers are S&Ws and Colts. They are not as strong as a Ruger, but have held up to practicing with .38 special +P, standard .357 magnum, and a few boxes of Buffalo Bore or Underwood rounds.

I prefer the Hornady 140 grain FTX .357 magnum rated at 1440 fps and 644 ft. lbs. muzzle energy for carry and longer range accuracy. My wife prefers the CorBon 110 grain JHP rated at 1500 fps and 549 ft. lbs. muzzle energy for carry. If I need more power in a double action revolver, I go to a .44 magnum with a CorBon 260g/1450fps/1214me or my S&W 460XVR with a Buffalo Bore 300g/2060fps/2826me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts