Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a ruger forum but it seems to have the most relevant information about what I'm looking for.
I'm getting ready to reload a batch and I picked up some titegroup hodgdon.
I have 158gr xtp. Shooting a s&w 586 .357mag 6in barrel.
What do y'all recommend for the grain load using the above mentioned powder? I have seen info about the sp101 2in barrel and for another pistol with a 4in barrel.
Just curious if the longer barrel of mine will affect the pressures much

·
Registered
345 Posts
Titegroup is a very fast powder suited best for light weight bullets at target velocities. Your best results would probably come with a slower powder such as Unique, W-231, or AA#5. If you want maximum velocity use a magnum powder like H-110 or 2400.

Hodgdon lists a load for your bullet and powder from 5.4 to 6.1 grains. Hornady data for the 158 XTP uses slower powders for all of their data.

If you use Titegroup I would follow conventional reloading practices and start low, carefully working your way up observing the standard pressure signs.

Reactions: needsmostuff

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,034 Posts
Your barrel length doesn't affect pressure. Titegroup is not a powder for magnum revolvers. Do not use load data from anonymous people on any forum. Stick with published data from reloading manuals to work up loads. Try to find the powder previously mentioned, or I have good results with Blue Dot or Unique with 158gr XTP in my 6" .357.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Tight group in 357 results in a very small volume rattling around in a large can.
Never a great recipe . :unsure:
Tight group is at it's best in small cases , 9mm 45ACP and such.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know this is a ruger forum but it seems to have the most relevant information about what I'm looking for.
I'm getting ready to reload a batch and I picked up some titegroup hodgdon.
I have 158gr xtp. Shooting a s&w 586 .357mag 6in barrel.
What do y'all recommend for the grain load using the above mentioned powder? I have seen info about the sp101 2in barrel and for another pistol with a 4in barrel.
Just curious if the longer barrel of mine will affect the pressures much
I use 5.8gr of Titegroup through a 686 with a 4” barrel and it shoots just as well and accurate as HP38 and Uniqe. A lot of people don’t like Titegroup. I use it. I use less powder with it. I get equal accuracy with it. I pay a little less for it. Find something that works for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is true that Titegroup will not produce magnum velocities. However it is excellent for low to midrange loads. I have loaded and fired literally thousands of rounds of .357 with it (as well as 45acp. 40S&W, 9mm and even 30-30). I've found it to be extremely accurate and very economical. Some don't like it because they say you have to be careful not to load a double charge. I will say that if you cannot follow simple instructions then you may want to stay away from it. According to Hodgdon it was designed to be consistent regardless of it's position in the case.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I use WW-296 for magnum loads with 158grn bullets. I use the newest Hornady book for my load data. My load varies depending of whether I'm shooting jacketed or plated bullets. 296 has been my "go to" powder for all things magnum (.357 & .44) for many years. And I use a lot of 231 / 244 for .38 spec.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just like sr40ken shared Hodgdon has good data for that load. I use titegroup in all my pistol loads. 9mm, 45acp, 38,357. Get good results from it. Just start low and work you way up and you should be fine. Good shooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts