Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago I came across a 1974 low back Speed Six and was able to pick it up for $160.00. It looked pretty rough with missing bluing and a fair amount of surface rust but overall it was mechanically sound. Somebody had replaced the front sight with what looked like one that belonged on a single action,it was way too high. I cleaned it up with some tin foil and oil to remove almost all of the surface rust and some judiciously applied cold blue made it look a lot better.
I took it out and tried it before I went any deeper in repairs and it functioned fine but it shot about a foot and a half low at 20 yards as I figured it would. I did some research and found out that the original front sight was only .180 thousands high so I took the file to it and shortened it up by almost half. It shoots where it should now, I also smoothed out the trigger face and cleaned up the hammer as well.
I have many other Ruger single actions but this is the first Ruger double action that I have owned.
Here is some before and after pics

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I love those kind of gun stories! You rescued a forlorn classic and gave it a new lease on life. Congratulations! You could go further on restoration or just stop and enjoy it's character as is. Looks like a good shooter.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
You did great there mate.
Looks good.

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love those kind of gun stories! You rescued a forlorn classic and gave it a new lease on life. Congratulations! You could go further on restoration or just stop and enjoy it's character as is. Looks like a good shooter.
I need to shoot it some more before I decide how far I want to go. I don't mind a little character as long as it functions properly. I may try to make some grips for it I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
160!? Wow nice grab. Nice work as well.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Very nice, and for $160.00 at that too! worth every penny in my book.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Cool find! Don't forget Jim does bluing so maybe a trade off could work.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good find there, I'd have bought it. As a matter of fact I'd have been willing to pay a little more for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
excellent, preservation, restoration without taking away the character

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Looks like someone stuck a Colt Single Action front sight on it:)

$160 is a great deal for that, I have paid a little more for Sixes way more beat than that one! My best "deal" to date is $200 for a rust freckled and wire brush scoured .38 4" Service Six.

Low Back Speed Sixes aren't as common as other Six models, I have pretty much the same gun but it's a .38 Special.

It also has some "issues", I need to touch up the forcing cone with a fine file, someone put a ding in the left side of it and it slightly rubs on the cylinder face. It has some holster wear and some rust pitting, but it has a decent action and shoots dead on, so for about $250 or so I'm happy with it.:)

·
Banned
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like someone stuck a Colt Single Action front sight on it:)

$160 is a great deal for that, I have paid a little more for Sixes way more beat than that one! My best "deal" to date is $200 for a rust freckled and wire brush scoured .38 4" Service Six.

Low Back Speed Sixes aren't as common as other Six models, I have pretty much the same gun but it's a .38 Special.

It also has some "issues", I need to touch up the forcing cone with a fine file, someone put a ding in the left side of it and it slightly rubs on the cylinder face. It has some holster wear and some rust pitting, but it has a decent action and shoots dead on, so for about $250 or so I'm happy with it.:)
Mine was pretty rough when I picked it up and that front sight was a joke but it all worked in my favor when negotiating:D I got a tip about removing light rust without hurting the bluing that was left. I was told to try some "tin Foil" with gun oil as a lube and it took almost all of the rust speckles off of my gun. I was sceptical at first but now that I have tried it I will remember that little trick:cool:
I will shoot mine again tomorrow and see how close the front sight is now:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts