Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand silhouette shooters have been using bullets in the 160-175 grain range in 32-20 Contenders for a while now; just for fun I thought I may try some in my Blackhawk. It appears the 160gr 303 brits from Beartooth (https://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/details.php?id=21) would fit, but I may have to shave a few thousands off of the top depending on how it all works out. 9 grains of H110 is a good start according to the silhouette shooters. Of course my biggest issue is the rate of twist, but according to a number of "stability calculators" I tested, I should be able to drive it fast enough to not keyhole. Has anyone tried this? Thoughts on any other potential issues?

P.S. Unfortunately Beartooth doesn't sell the 160s in .313, which is what I need. If anyone knows of someone or has a mold that throws a relatively short, heavy bullet (155-165gr) .313s let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it seems I may stick out of the cylinder about .003, which could be fine with the cylinder gap, but that's why I might have to shave the top a bit. I would prefer to just not have to worry about it if it looks like it may be an issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts