Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had so much fun last weekend with one of the least expensive guns I own. I was popping small Diet Coke bottles at 100yds with ridiculous ease using my NEF Sportster .17HMR with Hornady 17gr V-Max ammo. With my Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x40mm scope at 9x and the rifle on a bipod the targets went down fast. In fact I was glad the rifle is a single shot so I was only shooting about 10 rounds per minute. These little rounds are so accurate and flat shooting that getting hits on small targets out to 150yds is a snap. Crosswinds and extended ranges increase the challenge of course, but at the ranges where the little bullets still have good velocity they are fantastic for small critters and plinking targets. The bull barrel on my rifle never heats up and is very consistent. It cleans up easily. Usually just a few solvent soaked patches pushed through breach to muzzle has the bore shiny clean. I bought a Dewey 17cal rod and brass jag and have been very pleased with them. The 20gr ammo hits harder up close, but drops faster out past 75yds. The Hornady 17gr loads exit my barrel at nearly 2600fps and go into an inch at 100yds on a calm day. If you don't have a .17HMR rifle I highly advise getting one. The small bullets provide big time enjoyment.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Glad you had lots of fun. I have two of those rifles. One in 45-70 and the other in 22 hornet. They're great little shooters. Pure fun. :)

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you had lots of fun. I have two of those rifles. One in 45-70 and the other in 22 hornet. They're great little shooters. Pure fun. :)
I'm thinking 22 Hornet would be great in one of these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts