Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a coffee can full of 173 grain keith 357 dia. bullets with gas checks from a retiring reloader. I want to use them with powders on hand fro 38 and 357 . I have on hand HS6 ,HS7 , Bullseye , Herco powders. I shoot a ruger security 6 and want something good but not to hot??????????????????????
Zacharoo

·
Registered
134 Posts
Herco should be good and slow for that
im betting there is plenty of data for that one could pick at make work

i found a bunch of Herco data for heavy bullets
in the
Lyman 44th
Lee 2nd
lyman cast bullet handbook 3rd

so there is plenty for that combo
and i bet it will be a great combo
good luck!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Herco or HS-6 would be good choices. HS-7 has long been discontinued and unless you have older reloading manuals, reload data will be on the short list. Bullseye will work also but Herco and HS-6 will produce higher velocities. Good luck and Happy Shootin'!

·
Registered
490 Posts
You are very fortunate to get those bullets. They are one of my all time favorites. Many 357 magnum guns have cylinders too short to crimp them in the crimp grove. In those guns they work good, just not as good, crimped just over the front driving band. I have had great luck with accuracy loading those bullets in 38 special cases. I know many reloaders kick up a fuss for loading mag class loads in 38 cases. I acquired a supply of military 38 brass and plainly marked them as 357 loads. Although they were in fact light magnum loads.

I had the best results with slower powers in 6" barreled revolvers. The fasted I had success with was Blue Dot. I much preferred H2400. If you have a good supply of those it might be worth your time and investment to search fro some H2400 or Accurate #9 for those bullets. As you know a slower powder will usually give you more velocity at a lower pressure. It is probably more pronounced with the 173 grainers.

I sure with I could find some at a reasonable price. The ones I find online cost more than jacketed bullets! :( I just won't pay it. Especially when I can buy Hi-Tec coated for much less money.

Good luck and good shooting with those LSWC slugs. Of all my handguns the 357 wheel gun is my favorite. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts