Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old style M77 apparently made in 1976 and has a special engraving on the barrel concerning the US bi-centenial year. It is in 7x57 Mauser caliber. My problem is I love the round but the barrel seems to be shot out. I need to re-barrel but don't want to loose the factory engraving about the historical event.
I am thinking about having the barrel re-lined. Any suggestions, comments?

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,882 Posts
It sounds like a nice rifle. Have you owned it since new? How many thousand rounds have you fired? It seems unusual to shoot out a barrel on a classic hunting rifle. Do you reload and shoot the rifle in matches? I ask all this to determine if the barrel is indeed shot out. It's possible that it is of course, but it could be fouled and need deep cleaning. Did it used to shoot well? Has it always grouped poorly since you've owned it. How is the crown? What is your cleaning regimen? Do you have access to a bore scope?

·
Super Moderator
22,055 Posts
That was my guess, either cleaning out copper fouling or re-crown the BBL. Great hunting caliber incidentally.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Before you go out and get it re-barreled take it to a smith and have it scoped. It could be something as simple as carbon ring, (they can be a PTA to remove if it's really built up) or some serious copper fouling. Both will have an impact on accuracy and both can be removed with a little effort.

Short of going to a smith I would suggest you pick up some IOSSO and an IOSSO blue brush and some JB non-imbedding bore paste. Follow the directions and your bore will be as clean as it's going to get. If you reload and your barrel is wearing you can "chase the lands" and prolong getting a new barrel for awhile. YMMV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for you comments and advice.

Thank you gentlemen for your advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I guess I should have started with a little history about this rifle. I bought the rifle about a year ago. The previous (original) owner was a reload enthusiast and provided several 100 round boxes of brass and loaded ammo. Some, he calmed, had been reloaded many times but he had culled out anything worn out or defective cases. I understood that his favorite weekend past-time was to load up a few hundred rounds of various ladders testing new bullets or powders. He was the one that told me that he suspected advanced throat erosion as his his usual loads were producing groups showing signs consistent with throat erosion. As to copper fouling, I assumed he had tried everything before selling his baby, but I will revisit that. To me, it was ok if I could only hit a softball at 200 yards while he was shooting at marbles (figuratively speaking).

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
wdpike, now my opinion has totally changed.......I’d take it to smith and let him check it out. Total round count is a big factor, but other things come into play also. Two of the biggest for me are, how hot were his loads and what was his shot cadence and you probably don’t know the answer to either one. Since he reloaded for it and was aware of the throat erosion he has probably chased the lands as far as he could. That usually when folks part with them. I hate to say it but I’m thinking it’s toast.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have the '72 version of that rifle, same cartridge, and I reload as well. Over the years I have been shooting Hodgdon "Ruger only" loads and finally the groups which had been right at 1" started to get larger about 3 years ago. I tried a good dose of a copper cleaner and worked 'till no color showed on the patch. That did the trick the rifle actually shot better than it ever had. Truth be told I had always "cleaned" the barrel,just not as thoroughly. Try it you may like it!. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'd retire it and keep it as a collectible, if you can't resolve the problem.
But that's just me. I'm a bicentennial, 76 high school graduate. :)

I have beautiful standard version 77 in .270 from that same era... It's kind of a safe queen. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts