Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new precision17hmr that i love other than one issue. I have a serious failure to fire issue. When round is cycled into the chamber and trigger is pulled all i get is click..no bang. I can lift the bolt handle and then lock it back down and most often it will fire, however not always. When i inspect a round that has not fired after first pull of trigger i can see where the firing pin made contact, however to me it appears like a light strike.
I know ruger had an issue with the bolt shrouds early on but according to my serial number it should have ben corrected. Has anyone else suffered or aware of this firing issue and how to correct?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ruger likes to pack a grease in new guns before shipping. This is to prevent rust while sitting in distributor and retailer storage. They don't know how long a gun will sit before someone takes it home.

This grease needs to be cleaned out before use. They should include instructions to do so, but they don't. So have you taken your bolt apart and given it a good cleaning? That's where I'd start. Here's a video that shows you how to do that:

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I'm on the same page as TestEngineer, If a good cleaning doesn't fix the problem try different ammo......it one or the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts