Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard as it is for me to believe as many pistols as I have owned I have never owned a 1911. This has been bothering me for a while so I have been keeping my eyes open for one but I don't really know much about them, I am more of a revolver guy.

Well today I went into one of my favorite small shops, they don't have a lot but there prices are decent and they are nice to deal with. They have a Springfield 1911 A1 (At least that's what marked on the slide) in stainless that they just took in and it seems clean. It is a full size with checkered wood grip panels, fixed sights and one stainless magazine. Price is $450.00 I can probably get it for a little less than that.

Is this a decent price? How hard is it to change it to adjustable sights? What do you look for in a used 1911?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at Springfield's site already and I not 100% positive but I think it is the Mil-Spec version.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I looked at Springfield's site already and I not 100% positive but I think it is the Mil-Spec version.
I can't find a SS version of the Mil-Spec. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Springfield makes a great, tough gun. I have an XD-45 and I love it. I think you'll be very pleased with it. Whatever model it is. :D

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Hard as it is for me to believe as many pistols as I have owned I have never owned a 1911. This has been bothering me for a while so I have been keeping my eyes open for one but I don't really know much about them, I am more of a revolver guy.

Well today I went into one of my favorite small shops, they don't have a lot but there prices are decent and they are nice to deal with. They have a Springfield 1911 A1 (At least that's what marked on the slide) in stainless that they just took in and it seems clean. It is a full size with checkered wood grip panels, fixed sights and one stainless magazine. Price is $450.00 I can probably get it for a little less than that.

Is this a decent price? How hard is it to change it to adjustable sights? What do you look for in a used 1911?
From the condition you described it in and the price, it doesn't sound like you can go wrong. :)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Springfield has a few different model 1911 A1's. I think for $450 or a little less it's be a good deal. When I get a 1911 it'll be a Springfield or the new Taurus. Both are great guns at great prices for what you get imo. Here's a link to their site. See if you can find which one you looked at.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php
BH, if you get the PT1911, will that be your first Taurus? No reason, just curious. :)

I've not owned a Springer 1911 but have only heard good things about them. The PT1911 is an excellent buy for the money. Chock full of goodies and extremely durable, reliable and well made. One of the other mods on the www.taurusarmed.net board has 4 of them and is planning on adding more. I only have the blued model currently but the SS PT1911 is on the list as a future purchase.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I can't view the site from work. :mad: I'll have to look tonight when I get home.

I'm not sure about the sights. I think it's a straight swap, but I could be wrong. The only sights I've looked into are the night sights. They are non-adjustable and will swap out on my XD fairly easily.

·
Registered
377 Posts

Personally, I only buy Colts in a 1911 but I would go with an SA 1911 over a Taurus any day. I have heard about too many problems with the Taurus 1911 and many say their CS sucks. YMMV :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Personally, I only buy Colts in a 1911 but I would go with an SA 1911 over a Taurus any day. I have heard about too many problems with the Taurus 1911 and many say their CS sucks. YMMV :D
Many I ask you if you have a Taurus 1911? Because I hear a lot of things too and most of the times they go in one ear and come out the other one!

I have three 1911s: A SA Trophy Match Long Slide, a Taurus PT1911SS, and a BUL M-5.

Given that the SA is one great gun, the Taurus is just as good after I got rid of the hammer with the integral lock, put a 18LBS spring, got rid of the series 80, and new grips. All for less than 100 bucks. I payed twice as much for the SA and it's NOT twice the gun!

The trigger on my PT is now 2.25 LBS, the fit and finish is great, and is one accurate piece.

The finish on the blue PT does not seem as durable as other finishes but I'd recommend the PT stainless to anyone looking for a 5" 1911 over any other 1911 because of their quality and price.

I payed 575 and got about 80 bucks in accessories and it's just as good as a SA that costs twice as much.

I can't post pics here but you can look at them here:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2155.90

·
Registered
377 Posts
Many I ask you if you have a Taurus 1911? Because I hear a lot of things too and most of the times they go in one ear and come out the other one!

I have three 1911s: A SA Trophy Match Long Slide, a Taurus PT1911SS, and a BUL M-5.

Given that the SA is one great gun, the Taurus is just as good after I got rid of the hammer with the integral lock, put a 18LBS spring, got rid of the series 80, and new grips. All for less than 100 bucks. I payed twice as much for the SA and it's NOT twice the gun!

The trigger on my PT is now 2.25 LBS, the fit and finish is great, and is one accurate piece.

The finish on the blue PT does not seem as durable as other finishes but I'd recommend the PT stainless to anyone looking for a 5" 1911 over any other 1911 because of their quality and price.

I payed 575 and got about 80 bucks in accessories and it's just as good as a SA that costs twice as much.

I can't post pics here but you can look at them here:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2155.90
Originally Posted by wetidlerjr
The above quote says it all and the "YMMV" means "Your mileage may vary."
I'm happy that you have a good Taurus 1911 and that you have clean ears. Also, when it comes to buying guns, "to each his own." You may discount (or not) anything I say as it is, always, just my never humble opinion.

Here's one of my Colts.

Customized by Robert Miller of Miller Custom

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
$450 for a stainless springfield sounds good. Changing sights should not be a problem.

Beautiful Colt-----whats not to like? other than the price. But then again it is a colt so you will pay more--and get more imho.

Taurus 1911---i know a cpl of guys that have them and shoot the hound out of them---nothing but good news from them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
$450 for a stainless springfield sounds good. Changing sights should not be a problem.

Beautiful Colt-----whats not to like? other than the price. But then again it is a colt so you will pay more--and get more imho...
Actually, this was a low price Colt 1991A1 that I bought new. If I recall correctly, it was around $600. This is how it looked before Bob Miller worked his magic on it.

:D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Reb,
Here is a copy of a reply I got from Precision International. I have a 1911 Gov't model High Standard that I like to tweek. I have replaced all the internals with drop in parts and still have not changed out the sights. Precision was recommended by another forum.
"Check the dovetail....bottom of the rear sight left hand side front to back...if it measures .495 then it is a Novak style...if it measures .330 then it is standard Colt.

Then check the thickness ..side to side of the front sight....120 wide is a 70-80-90,...080 thick is a 1911 A1." I hope this helps you.....
Here is a pic of my High Standard with a Kimber 22 caliber conversion

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a springfield 1911A1. It's a great gun. Hard to find all the brass after you shoot it tho, they go everywhere.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Anyone know how hard it will be to put adjustable sights on it? Do the adjustable sights use the same dovetail?
Yes. I have a Springfield Loaded. It came with Trijicon night sites. I didn't like the rear as I was shooting low with it. Ordered a Springfield adjustable rear site (they are Novak cut) and it went right on with a few taps from a brass punch. Now it shoots dead on!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts