Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave myself a lightweight commander model for Christmas.
Interesting discovery. Ruger only sells one style seven round magazine, yet my two mags are different.
One has wadcutter style feed lips. The other has hybrid style feed lips.
I wrote to Ruger, and asked what style they intended to include with the gun.
Their lips are sealed (pun intended).
They told me that I could return both mags and they would send me two new ones.

What style feed lips came with your commander mags, anyone?

Hybrid is on the bottom, w/ tapered feed lips and wadcutter is on the top w/ straight (parallel) feed lips .

000_0100.JPG

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Personally I didn't know there WERE different mag types.

The mags for the Ruger 1911's are as generic as any other 1911 mags as far as I know. I have a commander (not Ruger) and it works with all of the mags (different manufacturers) that I have regardless of bullet type.

Have you actually experienced problems to begin with?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Does Ruger make different mags?

I know my full size Ruger mags work very well in my full size Colt and visa versa. Matter of fact, the Ruger mags are very well made and I thought they only made one 45 ACP mag.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To the best of my knowledge, there are three different types of feed lip designs available for 1911 mags. Each is designed for a different cartridge OAL.
The pistol as originally designed, was made to shoot 230 grain ball ammo, nothing else. Magazines with GI style feed ramps should perform best w/GI ammo, again that was the original design. This is assuming that the pistol is in spec., if not, all bets are off.

When people started trying to shoot SWC and HP bullets, it was necessary to change the feed lip design, to avoid jams.

Will a pistol function shooting ball ammo using a mag designed for wadcutters? Probably. Just like I can drive my truck around all summer with snow tires on it. It works, just not as well as it could.

The closest thing to a generic mag I believe is one using the hybrid feed lip design. This is what is supplied with most new pistols, to the best of my knowledge. This makes sense to me, as the gun mfg. has no idea what kind of bullet design you are going to use in the gun. The hybrid is the best compromise. I suspect that Ruger intended to supply me with two hybrid type mags, but they won't say.

I have only fired 100rds through my new pistol using ball ammo. I had three FTF early on, then it started working jam free.
I didn't notice the difference in the mags until I finished shooting, so I have no idea if the jams were mag related.

If your interested, I would suggest you read 1911 Magazine Analysis Part 2: Read My Lips and 1911 Magazine Analysis: Gross Anatomy
The author provides good photos of the feed lip designs and a better explanation of how they work than I ever could.

Best, Bill

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does Ruger make different mags?

I know my full size Ruger mags work very well in my full size Colt and visa versa. Matter of fact, the Ruger mags are very well made and I thought they only made one 45 ACP mag.
Ruger only lists two mags for the 1911, one 7 round and one 8 round.
I have two 7 round mags that are different from each other. I suspect that one was sent to Ruger, by their supplier in error.
This is what prompted my question, what kind of feed lips design came with your Ruger supplied mags?
No answer yet.:(

Bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
Two of the types are, early release and delayed release.

Part of the equation for feeding is in the geometry of the feed ramp and barrel throat-ING.

A well functioning 1911 will shoot just about anything with the way the factory sets them up now. They no longer come through set up for Ball Ammo as in the days gone by.

If your pistol works with the two mags you have enjoy it.

My Springfield 1911-A1 works with the 9 mags I have and 6 of the nine are different from each other.
They don't have to look the same.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two of the types are, early release and delayed release.
Why do the magazine manufactures bother to make different feed designs?
Maybe some work better than others with certain bullets. Even though it's removable, the magazine is an integral part of the gun.

My original post question was, what style feed lips did RUGER choose to supply with their Commander pistol? That's all. I am not attacking or defending their choice, or yours for that matter.:)

Bill

·
Registered
89 Posts
I gave myself a lightweight commander model for Christmas.
Interesting discovery. Ruger only sells one style seven round magazine, yet my two mags are different.
One has wadcutter style feed lips. The other has hybrid style feed lips.
I wrote to Ruger, and asked what style they intended to include with the gun.
Their lips are sealed (pun intended).
They told me that I could return both mags and they would send me two new ones.

What style feed lips came with your commander mags, anyone?

Hybrid is on the bottom, w/ tapered feed lips and wadcutter is on the top w/ straight (parallel) feed lips .

View attachment 22085

Thanks, Bill
My SR1911 commander is the standard or non lightweight model. The two mags that came with it are the Hybrid taper lip style. I bought one more Ruger 7 rnd mag it it also Hybrid.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Mine came with Hybrid. The extra Ruger mag. I bought from my LGS is also hybrid.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
I'm in the majority here I think, I didn't know or was aware of different types. I was under the assumption 1911 mags were generic. However, you mention SWC rounds which in my time here on earth have never seen a wadcutter in any form loaded up for 45 acp.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in the majority here I think, I didn't know or was aware of different types. I was under the assumption 1911 mags were generic. However, you mention SWC rounds which in my time here on earth have never seen a wadcutter in any form loaded up for 45 acp.
Back in the mid 1970s I used to reload 45ACP with this Lyman 200g SWC. Lyman Products Your Primary Source for Reloading Equipment
I used it for bullseye competition with a Colt Gold Cup pistol. It was lightly loaded, just enough to cycle the slide. I fired thousands of those with very few alibis.

The only semi auto that I have ever seen that shoots true wadcutter rounds, was the S&W model 52. It was a 38 special WC only affair. Smith & Wesson?s Model 52 .38 MasterGuns Magazine.com | Guns Magazine.com

Best, Bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
You may be in the majority of people that are unfamiliar with 1911 Magazines, They are certainly not generic.

Like it was said above a true flat faced WC is not common for most Semi auto pistols,
But S&W had a very nice one that shot 38 Special full WC bullets very successfully.

As for the 1911 and SWC bullets, I shot about 5,000 of them through my 1911 this summer.

Depending on bullet styles, some guns prefer early release and some delayed release magazines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just stumbled on this too. Had no idea. Looks like my sr1911 came with two wadcutters. And I bought an extra one from Ruger and its also a wadcutter feed lip.

Very confused about this. Since I strictly load FMJ for home defense because I live in NJ (JHP legal issues) only ran about 100 rounds through it, with no problems. But future reliability is now a concern after learning about this.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you only shoot ball and have no feed issues with your present mags I wouldn't worry.

Using SWC ammo in a mag designed for ball can be a problem, but the reverse usually works.
If you want the best reliability with ball ammo Checkmate makes (original design) mags with feed lips and followers designed for ball.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts