Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a 1911 pistol. I want it for carry when I get my cwp. What are some good options on a budget? Full sized or compact are fine with me

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
As a military member with a sensitive job I carried a 1911 30 years ago. Going back to those duties today, I doubt that the 1911 would be my choice today. BUT if you must go that route, I'd select a polymer framed short barrel pistol. It will make carrying much easier and you will be more likely to carry it, verses leaving it behind because it's too heavy or might show through your clothing. A full frame 1911 is a big gun - I love em, but they are big.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a military member with a sensitive job I carried a 1911 30 years ago. Going back to those duties today, I doubt that the 1911 would be my choice today. BUT if you must go that route, I'd select a polymer framed short barrel pistol. It will make carrying much easier and you will be more likely to carry it, verses leaving it behind because it's too heavy or might show through your clothing. A full frame 1911 is a big gun - I love em, but they are big.
I actually already own a smaller polymer framed pistol that I will use for edc. I just want a 1911 for special occasions where I wear a suit or something, just want to keep it classy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i bought my amazing sr1911 for the same reason... i always wanted one, and needed a CC gun. after 1 week, i bought another pistol for cc.

a full size 1911 is NOT logical for CC. it just doesn't work. you can't sit down, you cant stand up, its too heavy..etc.

i still think you should buy one, since its the best pistol ever made. but not for CC.

that said, the 1911 Commander (made by kimber, and also by ruger too) are excellent for CC. still kinda heavy, but much smaller. i don't think you'll find one 'on a budget'...unless your budget is $700.

if you're hell bent on getting a 1911 for cc, and don't care about its size (or you're 9 feet tall) you can find some more generic brands, and some ok brands for $350 ish range. like a rock island, or maybe a taurus.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bought my amazing sr1911 for the same reason... i always wanted one, and needed a CC gun. after 1 week, i bought another pistol for cc.

a full size 1911 is NOT logical for CC. it just doesn't work. you can't sit down, you cant stand up, its too heavy..etc.

i still think you should buy one, since its the best pistol ever made. but not for CC.

that said, the 1911 Commander (made by kimber, and also by ruger too) are excellent for CC. still kinda heavy, but much smaller. i don't think you'll find one 'on a budget'...unless your budget is $700.

if you're hell bent on getting a 1911 for cc, and don't care about its size (or you're 9 feet tall) you can find some more generic brands, and some ok brands for $350 ish range. like a rock island, or maybe a taurus.
by budget i meant like under $1000 because i know 1911s can soar in price. i am a bigger guy too so i dont mind a bigger gun. like i said i want the 1911 for the occasions that im wearing a suit and have a shoulder sling. i love the look and feel of a 1911. regardless of carrying purposes i want one and just need some tips on a decent one that i dont have to spend $3k on lol.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If you're stuck on a 1911 for carry I'd certainly look for a used 'commander' sized gun. Those have a 4" barrel. I know that doesn't sound like much of a difference from the stanard 5" but it does help. An alloy frame will help too.

Brands? Springfield Armory, Remington, ROck Island will be ok. Kimber or Colt will likely be too expensive and Colt's have a very inconsistent past. Be careful of some Springfields too. I just sold my Springfield 'Loaded' for a S&W Series E.

Since it will be you CCW weapon, check it out thoroughly and choose your ammo carefully after thorough testing with YOUR weapon..

If you can break out of the 1911 limit, a Ruger P345 is a very good gun for a very reasonable price. There have been numerous questions about them on this forum and the responses have been that they are very accurate, reliable and high value.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I think people are overstating how difficult it is to conceal a 1911. Yes, it's bigger/heavier than some of the polymer guns but if you have a good holster and belt to distribute the weight, I don't think it's that bad. While a 1911 isn't my normal carry gun either, I've carried mine OWB with a jacket and didn't feel overly burdened.

So yes, are there 'better' concealable guns in my opinion? Sure.

Is a 1911 a bad choice for carry if you understand the size/weight? Certainly not.

Good luck finding something that works well for you to carry whether that be a 1911 or something else.

EDIT: Not sure about this gun buying craze right now, but think around the $700 area is a good place to start. You can get cheaper ones and a LOT more expensive ones, but $700 or so should get you a good one. Like the SR1911!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I agree, but then I have a tank on the front of me big enough to hide a small VW and as soon as I can quality my new Series E and get a good holster it might become my winter CCW.

But for somebody of lessor build or different clothing choices....

·
Registered
132 Posts
some people carry aa fullsized 1911 with no prob, yes there are the tupperware guns that are lighter. I myself have been carrying 1911 pistols on and off duty for a few years now. Off duty i have no problem concealing it.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,322 Posts
My routine carry is a 5" full size all steel 1911 and a spare magazine. With the right holster and carry position, you can carry much more than most people want to believe. From the 1911, I move up to a Glock G20SF 10mm with two spare magazines or large revolvers and two speed loaders. Recently, I saw a young guy at the LGS around 5’ 6” and 125 lbs. conceal carrying an 8 3/8” barrel S&W X-frame revolver in a shoulder holster with a zip up hoodie over it. It did not print at all.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
SR1911 Commander.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks very much for your input guys. I don't think carrying a 1911 is going to be an issue for me. I am a fairly built guy that doesn't shop at the baby Gap like many do down here haha. My regular attire consists of loose fit button ups and a lot of jackets/hoodies so the print won't be there. The main reason I want the 1911 for carry is because it is a reliable gun that shoots, in my opinion, the best self defense round. I know there are glock guys that will speak differently, but the 1911 has worked fine for service members for over 100 years now. I will definitely look into the more compact models now that I have had a few days to think it through.

·
Registered
148 Posts
by budget i meant like under $1000 because i know 1911s can soar in price. i am a bigger guy too so i dont mind a bigger gun. like i said i want the 1911 for the occasions that im wearing a suit and have a shoulder sling. i love the look and feel of a 1911. regardless of carrying purposes i want one and just need some tips on a decent one that i dont have to spend $3k on lol.
If you are in the market for something lighter that is under $1000 you can check out the Springfield EMP (9mm or .40) or the Colt New Agent (9mm or .45)

My wife bought the EMP (yes it is closer to the limit of your budget - we only were able to afford one on layaway :p) and it is an amazing gun that has had 0 malfunctions, it is a lighter than most full size 1911s, and is completely beautiful.

The New Agent was one that we had looked at in the store and i am planning on purchasing in the future. It is around $400 cheaper than the EMP around $800 - $850. The only thing that throws me off is the Channel Sights instead of a good 3 dot setup. It is light and feels good in the hand. It is not as beautiful as the EMP but it is designed to be carried day in and day out.

If these options dont float your boat there are usually some Kimbers for around $800 depending on what options you are looking at.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts