Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I need help because I want to buy a 1911, and I'm thinking of a sr 1911, I have the chance now to take a colt combat elite with € 100 extra. I know that here the remarried may be obvious, but I would like an opinion from you that the 1911 know well ...;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I currently own a SR1911 TALO Night Watchman. The TALO distributor had a standard SR1911 upgraded. The gun is all SS and has a black nitride finish applied, it comes with black micrata grips and a Novak 3 dot night sights. When I purchased this at my LGS, I also looked at a standard SR1911 in SS and a Colt commander. Before going there I was leaning toward the Colt because of the name. After comparing all three, I chose the TALO because of the trigger and the night sights. I enjoy shooting it. The only problem with the TALO is the sights are fixed at 7 yards. Because I target shoot with it besides using it as my CCW, I had Novak replace the fixed rear sight with an adjustable one.
I found the standard SR1911 had two advantages over the Colt. First it had a better trigger and second, it was $100 lower in price.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I think that sooner or later most 1911 nuts end up with at least one Colt in their collection because of the name, as mentioned.

However, on new production Colts that I've bought and examined in stores, there has been a rather wide variation in fit, triggers and so on, one gun to the next, same model. Have seen more consistency with the Rugers, overall. If you have to buy, sight unseen, I would rather take my chances with the Ruger.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,389 Posts
I have owned many 1911s over the years. I currently own six government model Colts including a Combat Elite and one Dan Wesson Valor. The Colts in the USA usually have a higher resale value due to the name.

·
Registered
871 Posts
With 1911s in this price range it is good to treat new ones like used ones and look at the gun before you buy. It is not brand to brand but example to example. The Colt has a forged frame and slide but that model also has the Series 80 mechanical firing pin block, which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. The Ruger uses a Titanium firing pin for drop protection. The Colt will probably hold its value better down the road.

Since it is a Ruger forum, lets look at Rugers! I have a couple SR1911s but like the CMDs more. On top is a CMD I bought back in Jan 2013, then a CMD-NW in the middle I got in Feb. of this year and a CMD-LW or light weight on the bottom I got a couple months ago. Nice pistols. With the Night Watchman in the middle the LGS had a 5 inch model also and the fit and finish on the CMD was much better so I bought it.

Reading the forums both companies seem to have pretty good customer support. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ill blame it on you!

With 1911s in this price range it is good to treat new ones like used ones and look at the gun before you buy. It is not brand to brand but example to example. The Colt has a forged frame and slide but that model also has the Series 80 mechanical firing pin block, which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. The Ruger uses a Titanium firing pin for drop protection. The Colt will probably hold its value better down the road.

Since it is a Ruger forum, lets look at Rugers! I have a couple SR1911s but like the CMDs more. On top is a CMD I bought back in Jan 2013, then a CMD-NW in the middle I got in Feb. of this year and a CMD-LW or light weight on the bottom I got a couple months ago. Nice pistols. With the Night Watchman in the middle the LGS had a 5 inch model also and the fit and finish on the CMD was much better so I bought it.

Reading the forums both companies seem to have pretty good customer support. Let us know what you decide.
I've been fighting the 'gotta have another 1911' temptation for awhile. I've got an SR1911CMD and a Ruger Night Watchman (5"). Love them both! I was almost ready to try a DW given all the accolades the brand receives on numerous sites. Then I log in this morning and check out your post - great pic! After a consultation with my wallet, I've decided I can use another Ruger soooo, I'm about to add the CMD-LW to my Ruger collection. AND, I can blame it on you! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
I have not had good luck with Colt 1911's. Granted it has been over 20 years since I last owned one but nevertheless my opinion of them is jaded as a result. The only Colt 1911's I didn't have problems with were off the rack mil spec Marine Corps issued guns. I carried and qualified with them the first 10 years of my career. There wasn't anything elegant about them but they were good solid pistols. That too has helped form my opinion of 1911's over the years. I lean towards simple basic mil spec models as opposed to gee whiz feature laden "professional" models.

I'd get the Ruger if it were me and I'm not saying that because this a Ruger forum. I don't own one (yet) but it would be very difficult for me to steer anyone away from an SR1911. Everything I've read indicates they are terrific 1911's and one of the real bargains in the gun world. Colt still makes a heck of an AR but IMO and experience their 1911's have not lived up to my expectations. YMMV.

In full disclosure I currently own two 1911's, a mil spec Springfield and a Sig Scorpion.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I own a full size Ruger SR1911 and an older Colt Gold Cup. The Ruger has never missed a beat, the Colt not so much.

Total fan of the Ruger SR1911

·
Registered
105 Posts
I own a full size Ruger SR1911 and an older Colt Gold Cup. The Ruger has never missed a beat, the Colt not so much.

Total fan of the Ruger SR1911

·
Premium Member
14,866 Posts
I have two Rugers, the full size and CMD. They both are great to shoot and neither has ever had a malfunction. I bought a Colt Defender earlier this year. It is nice but not like the Rugers. The next 1911 will be the CMD LW Ruger. If they made a 3" barrel version I believe it would be a huge seller.

·
Registered
704 Posts
OP I have been shooting 1911s my whole life. My opinion on the issue is pretty simple. If want a 1911 for investment purposes buy Colt and don't shoot it very much. If you want a 1911 to shoot and enjoy and not worry about getting it dirty buy a Ruger. Shoot the dickens out of it! IMHO Rugers kick Colt's @$$ as a complete 1911 package. It's your choice and your money. Besides Ruger has far better customer service if you ever need it! Colt? Meh, sometimes they don't even answer their phone. Other opinions may vary.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I've had a Colt and it was a mess. Colt's quality has been up and down and when it's down it is WAY down.

If I had to choose between a Colt and a Ruger, sight unseen, I'd pick the RUGER hands down, no questions.

Ruger makes a damn good 1911 and consistently does so. Each one is good. It's a very safe buy. I don't think Colt's name is what it used to be. They're bankrupt again.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I've had 8 1911s-All Colts. I love Rugers, but I miss my Combat Elite.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
.. Well, I finally made a decision. I bought the SR1911! on the one hand the price of the colt was not as low as they told me and so I decided to ruger and I am very happy! Now I can not wait to try it !!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I own both a Colt full size and a Ruger LW Commander. One is as good as the other.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
.. Well, I finally made a decision. I bought the SR1911! on the one hand the price of the colt was not as low as they told me and so I decided to ruger and I am very happy! Now I can not wait to try it !!!
Best buy out there. I'm sure you won't regret it.

(be sure to clean it first)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts