Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this old Champion-sized Springfield that needs a little work. The previous owner said he had a gunsmith install a Wilson hammer and trigger. The guy did a good job on the trigger...nice and smooth, no appreciable over-travel and light, but safe pull. The hammer bites me every time I take it to the range. Does anyone make a beavertail grip safety that's pretty much drop in and can a dumb, but reasonably mechanically-inclined person install himself?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,796 Posts
rman, Yes, you can buy a beavertail G/S that requires no modification to your pistol. There are two types of frame contours ... standard and Commander. There also two types of hammer profiles standard and skeleton. It looks like your Springer has the standard contour with the skeleton hammer. The Wilson Combat G/S is what you need. It fits without modifying the gun. Brownell's sells it. See: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=16464&st=965-429-100&s=37011

For the most part, these are "drop-in". You may have to file a tad off the step where it mates with the mainspring housing. The "trigger interrupt" tab is usually a bit long so you may need to file it a bit too. Pretty easy job.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Iowegan. Nice to know there's a few things an 'ole dummy' can do. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I used one of those "drop-ins" on my Colt. It's not as high of a grip or as comfortable as a true beavertail. I replaced it with a S&A high-ride beavertail grip safety along with the jig and filed and dremmeled away. They are not that hard to install. In one afternoon I had a transformed pistol with one simple radius grind. It turned out better than most "professional" jobs I've seen, but when you have a whole afternoon to do it, things can turn out that way.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I think it'd work. Just file the grip safety tang off to match the frame. I think it'd leave nothing for the hammeer to pinch you against. Browning fixed this problem on the High Power. Frank

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You mean like this?

It'd compromise controllability a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts