Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I am also a Victim of the 1911 Disease. I finally was able to kick the Habit.
I had sold off some really fine guns to get the 1911s, but wish that I hadn't now.
Does anyone know what makes 1911s so Addicting.
I know I only have three but for me its fairly simple. I'm old school and when I was growing up there were no plastic fantastic guns unless of course you count the M16. In fact anything made from plastic was considered cheap. I still consider plastic fugly and cheap. Although my 1911s can't be considered traditional I do much prefer 1911s and revolvers in either DA or SA and my rifles with wood stocks. When I think Semi Auto 1911 is the first thing that comes to mind.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I know I only have three but for me its fairly simple. I'm old school and when I was growing up there were no plastic fantastic guns unless of course you count the M16. In fact anything made from plastic was considered cheap. I still consider plastic fugly and cheap. Although my 1911s can't be considered traditional I do much prefer 1911s and revolvers in either DA or SA and my rifles with wood stocks. When I think Semi Auto 1911 is the first thing that comes to mind.
I'm with you 100%. Age here is 73, and I Appreciated Firearms as long as I can Remember, even the toy ones. I qualified with the 1911A1 back in the 60s during my Tour with the Army. They also introduced me to my first High Power Rifle the M14 of which I own several Semi versions today. I never saw an M16 until I returned to the States, From Duty in Germany for Discharge in 1967. I used to Carry a SS Colt Officer Model, but as my Age Progressed, it started to get too heavy on my Hip. As much as I hate to admit it, my Present Carry Weapon is a Glock 26.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm with you 100%. Age here is 73, and I Appreciated Firearms as long as I can Remember, even the toy ones. I qualified with the 1911A1 back in the 60s during my Tour with the Army. They also introduced me to my first High Power Rifle the M14 of which I own several Semi versions today. I never saw an M16 until I returned to the States, From Duty in Germany for Discharge in 1967. I used to Carry a SS Colt Officer Model, but as my Age Progressed, it started to get too heavy on my Hip. As much as I hate to admit it, my Present Carry Weapon is a Glock 26.
I'm a little younger at 58 so when I entered the service the M16 was my first assigned weapon in the military. Although I get why a glock would be a practical gun I just don't like the whole plastic thing for so many different reasons. Besides I not only want something that functions I also like things that can be enjoyed and admired as well. Always puts a little smile on my face when that happens to be the case.

·
Super Moderator
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Besides I not only want something that functions I also like things that can be enjoyed and admired as well.
^^^^This^^^^

Pure function is a good thing and I admire it in and of itself. However, there's also validity to wanting an aesthetic element too. Asthetics can be anything from fit and finish to old school engineering and nostalgia. 1911s are like that. They've stood the test of time and are still relevant because they work extremely well and have a certain panache attributable to their history and how they're made.

Bottom line, I just like them. That's it. No further explanation required.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well, you know what the gov't thinks of handguns here lol, so no big collection. I have a Wolverine Tactical Stainless and a Springfield.... Went out to a shoot recently and my choice of handgun put me in the "Classic" division :rolleyes: Olde as heck too, but just because I don't need 17 rounds to hit 6 targets...

·
Registered
96 Posts
If I can't tote it and/or shoot it, I can admire it, but I can't enjoy it. I do have some Rugers and I also have some Glocks. Love the Rugers more, but shoot them less.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,788 Posts
Went out to a shoot recently and my choice of handgun put me in the "Classic" division :rolleyes: Olde as heck too, but just because I don't need 17 rounds to hit 6 targets...
1911s never go out of style. Young RSO came up to me at the range today as I shot my Springfield Mil-Spec. Said he owns 7 1911s and plans to get a WW II issue one, come what may in terms of price.

The design is just that iconic. 7 or 8 rounds will more than do the job for me, since I've so much experience with the platform in varying conditions. It's just that good a gun.

·
Registered
160 Posts
OK onw 1911 doesn't make a 'collection'. No matter, it's a Ruger, it's a 1911 and it's mine, all mine. And, not to put a fine point on it, it gives me great pleasure every time I shoot it...

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Tight budget collection.
RIA 10mm Rock Ultra FS with NOS Pachmayr Grips
Ruger MKlll 22/45 Target with Tasco Red Dot
Two Star BM 9mm

all steel, all fun

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a few Ruger firearms but these are my first 1911's.
Just thought I would show off. I got them as a set from my FFL who is getting out of the business.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Early import (ca. 1981-1983) Norinco mil-spec. displaying fine fit and finish, unlike the later models. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well since this thread is active again I may as well jump in!
Somehow some way I am down to just 5 1911’s and none are colts, hmmm not sure what happened.
Anyways about these the Springfield loaded with trijicon’s is as it came with the exception of a trigger job and has been a great shooter from the git go, the milspec Springfield though not an original is just a must have as in everyone should have either an original or a current milspec version right?,
The Smith I just liked but it languished without use as the trigger was dreadful and finally after some years I had a local smith do a trigger job and while in his shop he found a broken or misaligned part can’t remember exactly what but now with the trigger work and repair it is another great shooter, the Ruger is an early 9mm which I said I would never own (1911’s were meant for 45 right?) but I really like it and so it is.
The Kimber has a cool story I think, an original stainless carry it was stolen from the display at a local retailer was MIA for some years and turned up riding around under the seat of a car during an arrest, was checked in as evidence and stored for some time as the case against the individual ran its course, finally was returned to the retailer from whom it was stolen from and because of the beat up condition and unknown history while MIA was priced at a number that was ridiculously low and I had a contact there that called and said get here now and now it’s mine along with the evidence box it was stored in with tape and all kinds of notes that detailed it’s history of check ins and outs from the evidence locker etc. etc. etc.
So that’s my story and I’m stickin to it!!

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm not starting a cartridge war but all of you need to try a 10mm 1911.

To my mind, the 1911 is still the finest auto pistol ever created, especially after 100 years of tuning.
The added kick of the 10mm is easily handled by the 1911 and the accuracy makes it a great longer-range pistol. And a great do-everything-else pistol too.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts