Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a 1911, will be my firsy one.on a budget of 600.any advise would be appricated.

thanks DUKE

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I have been a revolver shooter for over 40 years, last September I purchased a Ruger SR1911 and have been extremely pleased with my choice...as if I had any doubts to begin with :rolleyes:

Anyway, the SR1911 has a retail price tag of $799, I was able to get mine for $699...still out of your price range...unless you could put off your purchase and save some more, while looking for a good deal. The SR1911 is well worth the money, it's a quality shooter.

There are other 1911 model's within your price range but being that I am new to 1911's in general I don't feel I could recommend the best one for your money. There are more knowledgeable members who I'm sure will coming to your assistance in a minute.

Good luck with your quest!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey, definitely wait for the sr1911 if you can.

if you don't wanna wait, and you'd like a feature heavy quality shooter, go with the taurus pt1911.

you'll find them new for under $600 pretty easily, and they have some nice performance options on them too!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am nearly in the same position as you. But I won't buy until next summer. I have the SR1911 at #1 on my list but the Remington R1 is second and I handled a Para GI at the LGS and it was pretty nice at $589.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There are some .22 caliber 1911's, Sig Sauer makes them for around $400 new but like the others said, you should wait to get the SR1911, its probably my next purchase as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys , this is a message from the Netherlands , I shoot for almost 20 years now an Colt 1911 A1 from the second WW2 witch was send to the USSR in the war by the USA and was later sold to a West German gun company when the iron curtain fell .

This is as for me personnel the best buy I ever did ,I shoot this gun weekly and it never failed me .

·
Banned
29 Posts
No offense to Ruger Owners Intended.

The only real 1911 is a Colt. There are several nice exact copies nade by others. In comparison the SR1911 is a cheap want to be.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Sti. Who?

John Browning designed it and Colt made it happen. When STI grows up the might be a bump on John Brownings butt. Anything less than a Browning or a Colt is a cheap copy.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Ruger SR1911, if you can..... ;)

·
Banned
163 Posts
That guy talking about the Colt reminds me of the guys that used to carry the humpback Browning 12 guages and then look down their noses at us carrying the Remington 1100. I have a Taurus PT-1911 and so does my buddy. They eat anything that is put in them and hit point of aim just as good as the Colt does, maybe better. Do some research about all the hand fitting Taurus does to their 1911, plus the man that ran the Colt 1911 line for upteen years is now running the Taurus 1911 line. If you want to buy a name, go ahead and buy the Colt. If you want a 1911 that goes bang every time you pull the trigger and hits what you aimed at, get the Taurus. 63 years old and still don't like elitest people.

Reb

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hi guys , this is a message from the Netherlands , I shoot for almost 20 years now an Colt 1911 A1 from the second WW2 witch was send to the USSR in the war by the USA and was later sold to a West German gun company when the iron curtain fell .

This is as for me personnel the best buy I ever did ,I shoot this gun weekly and it never failed me .
Very cool, got any pictures?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The only real 1911 is a Colt. There are several nice exact copies nade by others. In comparison the SR1911 is a cheap want to be.
I must respectfully disagree. When I first got my SR1911, next to me at the range was some guy with a really nice Ed Brown and a Colt Gold Cup. I asked him if he had seen the new Ruger and I got the 'ol "If it ain't got a horse on it, it ain't a 1911" Well, all righty then. We got to shooting, wasn't long this guy asked me what I had done to the gun. I don't think I made any friends when I told him I took it out of the box.

I own several Colts and Kimbers, I like them all. In terms of accuracy, all are more accurate than I am. In terms of feel, they are all about the same. Price is the major difference. Ruger really hit a home run with the SR1911.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I guess you're just here to make friends..... :rolleyes:

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts

Great story! I would love to have a 1911 with such history behind it. If you could post up a photo that would be great. A local gun shop near me has a 1911 from WWII with the holster but they want enough money to buy several new 1911s!:eek:

Wave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts