Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my SR1911 for awhile but only ever purchased one alternate set of grips, Hogue rubber ones I got directly from Ruger. I also have a 22/45 Lite that I thought was also supposed to accept 1911 grips.

For Christmas my brother gave me a set of 1911 grips. The SR1911 is listed on the package. But when I tried to install them, I discovered that all the other grips have an underside shallow cut that is bigger then the main hole in the grip. This is because both my Rugers have a wider raised base on the piece the screw goes into. These new grips don't have that cut so they don't fit flush on either pistol.

On top of that, the 22/45 Lite won't accept regular grips anyway. The upper left corner of a left side standard grip (when looking at the left side of the gun) runs into the slide release. So that corner of the grip would need to be shaved down to fit.

I realize these are things that can be modified, but that's not my idea of universal.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
There really is not a 'universal' 1911 anything any more. There is some manufacturer who has changed nearly every part of the original 1911 at some time or another.
So I would think that the 'universal' part is the one that can be relatively easily altered or adjusted to fit most 1911s to fit and look good.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I don't know if I agree with the idea that there are no 'universal' parts or universal 1911's anymore.

I've changed grips on mine once in a while (Colt, SA, S&W) and not had problems. Some have the screws going right into the frame, some have the screws going into nut plates (which I think is a better way). Perhaps it's a change in the screws, but the nut plates come out if that's a problem.

There ARE parts on a 1911 that have always needed to hand fitted to work their best; triggers, bushings, slides, etc. It's the quality of their fit that makes for a better shooting 1911. Even the grip safety should be hand fitted to a certain extent.

To the OP: I couldn't understand what your problem was, but if you bought grips from Ruger FOR your RUger 1911 and they don't fit (very strange) then there's some sort of disconnect. I'd call Ruger. But as I've read this forum, replacement grips not fitting is not a common problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts