Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering if any one can tell me how to get a 1911 to run plated semi wad cutters reliably. little history on the gun- the ramp was polished about three thousand rounds ago. It has been very reliable with 200 gn plated semi wad cutters from extreme (only thing I load for it). But as of late it hasn't liked the loads. It will run jacketed hollow points and round nose perfectly fine. I use Wilson Combat #47D mags and chip McCormics neither mag makes a difference. I had the gun worked over when I first got it ( General buff and puff and trigger job). I'm planning on switching to a 230 gn hard ball or 225 gn round nose flat point but I have about a thousand of a very accurate 200 gn SWC load left. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Morning RedHawker44;

What are they doing? We can't really help you until we know in what part of the feeding cycle they are acting up. (ie are they stove piping or round nose hanging up at feeding, etc)

Will the slide lock back on last round?-- If not then maybe your rounds are a bit weak in power to FULLY cycle the slide.

Most of my 1911's will feed 200 gr SWC's OK but on a couple I need to work with the OAL to get them to feed smoothly.

Are your bullets staying put when you hand cycle them? (measure the OAL of a fresh loaded round then hand cycle that round a couple of times, then re-measure the OAL again)

·
Registered
98 Posts
If they were running good and now they are not. The first thing I would guess is lead build up or the spring needs replaced. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Fact is that the 1911 platform is not designed to shoot wadcutters and usually when you try you get problems.

You can shoot modern hollowpoints with rounded edges most of the time. But the 1911 was designed to shoot ball ammo.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Fact is that the 1911 platform is not designed to shoot wadcutters and usually when you try you get problems.

You can shoot modern hollowpoints with rounded edges most of the time. But the 1911 was designed to shoot ball ammo.
Good thing mine don't know that...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Gunner Bill-

The rounds look like the hit the top of the chamber first and get wedged by the slide(Will try and get a pic). I did clean the barrel and chamber really well but still does it. I do have about four to five thousand rounds on the springs. Is that past the round count for spring replacement? I've also shot only plated semi wad cutters through the pistol and have zero issues until recently. They are very accurate and make great holes in paper and make bowling pins dance like crazy.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Try changing the overall length of the loaded round. Try some loading some out 15 thousand longer and some 15 thousand shorter then the rounds that are jamming. Some 1911s can be very picky about overall length with certain bullets.

·
Banned
53 Posts
HBK has the answer.

If it's the last round in the magazine, replace the magazine springs.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Since your pistol liked the rounds until recntly, and you haven't changed the rounds, then it's not the ammo. I suspect the magazine. Have you tried others with the same stoppages?
That would be the first thing I would do, is try different magazines.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
My first thought mirrored BigEd's. If the semi wads were shooting ok and no change to the round, then problems begin, it seems the recoil spring may need looking at.

Change/check one thing at a time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey guys just wondering if any one can tell me how to get a 1911 to run plated semi wad cutters reliably. little history on the gun- the ramp was polished about three thousand rounds ago. It has been very reliable with 200 gn plated semi wad cutters from extreme (only thing I load for it). But as of late it hasn't liked the loads. It will run jacketed hollow points and round nose perfectly fine. I use Wilson Combat #47D mags and chip McCormics neither mag makes a difference. I had the gun worked over when I first got it ( General buff and puff and trigger job). I'm planning on switching to a 230 gn hard ball or 225 gn round nose flat point but I have about a thousand of a very accurate 200 gn SWC load left. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
What works for me is to use the barrel as an OAL gauge. The round head-spaces on the case mouth. I adjust he COAL until the case rim is just proud of the barrel shroud.

If you google "1911 Plunk Test" you'll find a more thorough explanation.

Good Luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks all. I'm going to try everything suggested (great excuse to get more Wilson Combat mags). I've also got a spring kit on order from Ed Brown.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is the extractor tensioned correctly?

I only load the first round from the magazine only. If we put the first round in by hand and slam the slide over the case lip we can detune the extractor. My 1911 would jam one round per mag. Tweeting the extractor by chamfering the bottom so the round being loaded slips into the extractor much easier. Then I retentioned the extractor to specs using the tools from brownells. It's flawless now in operation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts