Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking real hard about getting a 1911. I've looked at a lot of them and like the way they feel. I haven't decided on a particular one. I've been reading that 1911's take a lot of "tuning" and "tweaking". What do people mean when they say that? I'm not a master gun smith or anything but can usually get things apart to clean them and back together but I don't know about tuning a gun.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you are and have read the same info. I'll be interested in seeing what answers you get.
Don't know if I'll get a 5" 1911 or a commander size... decisions - decisions.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you mean buying one from a manufacturer and having to tune it to make it function, no. It should be ready to go.

Having said that, all guns have a "personality". Some 1911's don't like to shoot hollow point ammo, this is where some tuning may come in. Some will eat everything you put in it. In that respect 10/22's are the same way - some don't like cci, some don't like yellowjackets, some will eat everything you feed it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've committed to a 5" 1911. I don't plan to CCW with this particular gun and want that classic look.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Don't worry most 1911 will shoot great out of the box. you might have some mag feed problems but you can correct the problem pretty easy, there are some web sites that will give you the correct procedures to time the mags.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've committed to a 5" 1911. I don't plan to CCW with this particular gun and want that classic look.
To CC a 1911 may not be for everyone but dont count it out until you try it. Other than a mouse gun I can CC a 1911 better than anything else I have tried. I do prefer a commander but a 5" is no problem either. I am 6'1" 235lbs with wide shoulders so my shirts tend to hang well for CC but a 1911 is a dream to carry IF you have a decent belt and holster.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Theres alot of things that could be ment by tuning but when i think of it its this all the manufacturers do this with each gun they tune it so it doesnt jam they tune the timeing of the bolt ejecting and recieving a new shell the way to check if your gun is "tuned" is shoot a whole mag through it have someone watch your ejected shells if they all go in the same direction in the same pattern your timing is right if u get awhole bunch of random flyers in different directions it needs to be tuned idk how to but ide say send it to the company all semi auto pistels are like this so get the 1911 and enjoy it should be fine if it needs to be tuned learn how or send it back for tuning ive never had the problem and its not a big problem either

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I've only owned one 1911 and it's a Ruger SR1911.

I don't know what people mean by tuning to be honest. Mine runs mighty fine right out of the box. Trigger's great; no FTE or FTF. Hits what I point at.

There are things to look for like a big beavertail to keep from getting "hammer bite" but that's not tuning unless your pistol didn't come with one.

I am not a pro target shooter or competition pistol shooter so maybe I'm wrong but I love mine just the way it is.

If I very carefully brace myself, I can hit a ~2" target at 25 yards.

I can empty a magazine as fast as I can pull the trigger (which isn't really that fast as I have to get back on target...) into a 4" plate at 7 yards, so I feel good about that.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The M1911.org site is a great resource if you are serious about learning about the inner workings of a 1911. Their gunsmithing forum is amazing, so much stuff on there.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You can spend a lot of money tuning one to your liking but not necessary if you already do. There are lots of parts available to upgrade as you want. Anything is replaceable or upgradeable. Bout the only thing some might need is a different magazine and a stouter recoil spring. Some of the target upgrades and items of really tight tolerances can be prone to increase failures however. Unless you have a specific purpose you want to tune it to, don't.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,322 Posts
The 1911 was the favorite Barbie dress up gun before the Ruger 10/22 and AR-15s took over. If I buy a gun and it needs tuning or tweaking, I sell it. All of my guns are stock with the exception of grips.

These are my carry 1911s. The only tweaking on any of them was replacing the stock grips with Sarge's Grips.

·
Registered
658 Posts
LC, I'm not real happy with you right now. I've always had at least one 1911, now have the itch to add another. My wife probably even less happy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts