Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Springfield "Loaded" Model.

::D doing the Happy Dance::

It's a parkerized 5" with night sites. I won't get to take it to the range until next week, I'm sorry to say. This was a deal that I couldn't pass up, and no, I will not share what I paid for it because I don't want everyone calling the police. In short, I "stole it".

I've been "jonesing" for a 1911 again as a range toy, and now I have one. At first I was going to get the Lightweight Loaded" as the guy had two to sell, but decided on the steel one because I know how much I like to shoot. I forgot about the overtime I was getting on this paycheck, I could've bought both. Oh well, I guess I'll have to buy the wife some "bling" as she just saw my check and knows about the gun.

Biker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Congrats to you!!!~good gun, good man....gonna ruin a BG's day someday....I like the Springfields better than the Kimbers---built like a rock....I like the weight....

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too like the weight, except it does get tiring for all day carry. That's where a good belt and holster come in.

I just got off the phone with Mitch Rosen at Rosen Gunleather. My ARG Express should be here in about three weeks. :D I can't wait to get this baby to the range. I'm not to sure about the full legnth guide-rod, but time will tell. I can always change it if I need to.

I don't plan on changing anything in this gun. It has an ambi safety, beavertail, commander hammer, nightsites and a target trigger. Those are all the things I would do to a "stock" 1911, so I'm ahead of the game in my book.

Now I just plan to "run it" at the local IDPA matches. I am considering carrying a 1911 again, but I will have to give it some serious thought. One night I failed to take the safety off when I needed to. That's why I went back to Double Action guns. Who knows, maybe I've imprinted this issue on my mind enough now that taking the safety off won't be an issue anymore?

Biker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Old habits are easy to pick back up...you'll slip back into it in no time....

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After I break it in and then learn how to post PICS.

I can fill the bloody camera up with PICS and even post them in Emails, but I can't get them to post in a thread unless someone does it for me. I'm a 'puter idiot. Answering Emails is the hardest thing I do all day.

Biker

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
After I break it in and then learn how to post PICS.

I can fill the bloody camera up with PICS and even post them in Emails, but I can't get them to post in a thread unless someone does it for me. I'm a 'puter idiot. Answering Emails is the hardest thing I do all day.

Biker
Go to http://photobucket.com/?link=topmenu Upload your pics here. Resize to message board size and then copy and paste links here. Very simple. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nice grab...

nothing better then finding a shooter you want/like AND getting it for a good price... congrats

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
there is nothing I love better than to hear about one of my frineds getting a new to them gun and all the excitement in their typing. I am glad for you and I know your going to love shooting, heck even if your not that good with it at first you will be soon. There is just something about a 1911 they make you want to shoot better. That boy can handle anything you feed him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats Biker! I have a Loaded model too and it is a solid, reliable workhorse. If you don't have one already, the perfect accessory for your new Springer is a loading press. They love to eat! Lol

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"They love to eat!"

I've noticed that most of my guns need to go on a diet. They are all voracious eaters :D .

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had a "Loaded" model for a couple years now. It has turned out to be very accurate (more than I am!!) and very well built. SA has a good reputation for quality 1911's and this won't be the only one I'll buy from them.

Mine has been completely trouble free with any FMJ ball ammo. The only JHP ammo that has caused a few FTF's is the Federal Hydra-Shok 230gr. The bullet profile is slightly different than ball ammo and that may hve been the reason for the feed issue.

I hve shot a lot of Remington Golden Sabre JHP in both 185 and 230 gr (even some 185gr +P) witn no problems. The +P is fun to shoot but the recoil is a handfull for me. :eek:

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I took the new 1911 to the range today and had fun! :D

This baby eats everything except some old CorBon 200 Grain +P's that I had. It fed all the Hardball I could feed it and 100 rounds of CorBon 185 Grain +P DPX. The only malfunctions I had were due to some "crappy" magazines I had. My Wilson's ran fine.

I'm so used to Double Action Revolvers that it's going to take me some time to get used to the Single Action Trigger again. It's been about five years since I carried a 1911. The reason I switched was because I failed to take the safety off one night when I needed it. Let me just say, it's not a good feeling when your gun makes no sound and you are expecting a BANG and don't even get a "click".

I really think my issue with the safety was in how I was holding the weapon. This past summer I went to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Brunswick, GA and I had them teach me the "High Thumb" hold that all the competition shooters are using. Now my thumb rest very naturally on top of the safety. :)

I'm very pleased with this gun and may start carrying a 1911 again. I've gotten used to Double Action Triggers, and even got pretty good with a Revolver over the past couple of years. Now I'm going to "play" with the 1911 before I decide for sure. One thing is certain though, I will always have a Double Action gun as a BUG.

Biker

·
Registered
28 Posts
BikerRN,you've got one of the best 1911's on the market.I've owned many 1911's from Colt's,Kimber,and a few others I'm embarrassed to mention and the Springfields have all been proven performers and if I ever need another it will be Springfield again.Enjoy it!tom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts