·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
View attachment 164497
View attachment 164501
View attachment 164500
View attachment 164498

My two Dan Wesson 1911s. The Valor is a 45acp and the Silverback is a 10mm. Pics got a little mixed up, the Valor is all black. Two seriously sweet shooting 1911s. All Ive changed is different sights on the Valor and a different trigger on the Silverback and all Wolffe springs in both. Oh, and the slip on Wilson magwells which can be easily removed and the Challis bushings
The 10mm needed heavier recoil and mainsprings because it sees a somewhat steady diet of heavy 10's and both it and me love them. The Valor is from 2016 and the Silverback from 2018. Valor has seen about 3800 rounds and the Silverback is rolling up on 1400 rounds. Other than a few instances of the Valor failing to go fully into battery during the first few hundred rounds both have the guns have performed flawlessly.
Those are some fine pieces of hardware my friend.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am out of gun cleaner at the moment so I didn't want to shoot too much. I had forgotten that I was out after I cleaned my 44 last time. Loaded one mag and did a function test into a snow bank. Seems to be a target hold but I will know more when I do an accuracy test. Gun/Mag both functioned perfectly fine. Gun seems heavier, don't know if it is. I will have to weigh it against my 45s, but it does seem that way. recoil is about the same as my 45s. Seemed fairly easy to stay on target. I like it.

I did not apply any polish to it yet. I did dry rub the slide and frame with a rag and it seemed to take a lot of the roughness out of it, which leads me to believe after cleaning, it'll be a lot smoother. Probably metal dust and airborne debris stuck to it as the factory coating dried. Ill know more later when I pick up another can of gun cleaner.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So the Garrison isn't coming. I got a call this morning telling me they sold it to someone else. Given the price I paid for it, I am guessing it didn't sell high enough. I'll be watching for it to resurface.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I don’t think I mention that little brother wanted that other Kimber Stainless II in 10mm so I sold one to him but ordered another Kimber Stainless II in 45. It should be here tomorrow.

As of tonight, this is the current family of 1911s. Tomorrow, it’ll grow by 1 more. All in 45 except the one Kimber 10mm
Brown Product Textile Paint brush Font

Got a little Metro Arms, Kimber, Springfield Armory, S&W and Rock Island. Before long we’ll be adding Colt in there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
2 that I picked up last month.

1985 Colt Officer's model (this will be my daughter's one day)

New RAI GI model .45acp. The only thing I've done is the Hogue grips which I am big fan of.

Both guns shoot very well and RAI surprises me as it shoots extremely well for the price, it was less than 4 bills plus tax out the door.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Had to move mine out of the display cabinet into one of the safes. Display cabinet was over run with revolvers. This is where they are parked until I find a new place.
Material property Wood Gas Auto part Engineering

I am considering throwing some bars on the windows in my guest room and installing a vault door until the real vault is built.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
I got a third Kimber Stainless II (second in 10mm) yesterday.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Line

I also bought another Springfield Loaded 45 in stainless. This one isn't the CA version so the draw, hammer and trigger pull ought to be a little lighter. That gets me to a total of 9. Eight stainless full size and that parkerized compact RIA.

I had a question. I have polished flats on a 1911 before (once). It took some work to get it right as I did a near mirror finish. Finger prints were REALLY bad. You could just about see the strands of DNA in them. I would like to get a light polish over machined face on the flats of these Kimbers or event a satin polish. Finger prints will still be an issue just not as bad. I got to looking at some online photos and I like the look for the following.

Any suggestions on a method to get a nice uniform finish? The methods I've used seems like an all or nothing high polish. Getting that uniform mid range seems difficult. i am sure it has something to do with either my process or even improper sand paper grit.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Everyday carry Material property Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I did the slide flats but not the frame due to the plunger tube being staked on. I don’t have the tools here re restake a new one so for now, this is it.
This is what I started with
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

Closeup of the grain I put in it
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

This is the finished product. No wax or polish applied, just raw metal after sanding, wiped down and reassembled. It’s under very bright lights see the detail.
Blue Air gun Everyday carry Gun barrel Trigger

Everyday carry Wood Air gun Hunting knife Gun accessory

Looks a lot like my S&W I think. They are under different lights in the pics but in reality, the frame finishes are identical, including the shade of gray. S&W is the bottom one.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

21 - 40 of 61 Posts