Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Ruger Single Six 22 that I have used as a plinker and target handgun. Another shooter saw my revolver and said it may have some collector value.

It is serial number 346, has a 5 1/2" barrel, black checkered hard rubber grips, and a flat gate. Looking at the Ruger website, this serial number looks like the revolver was manufactured in early 1954. It is not perfect, but is in very good condition considering its age and the fact that I used it rather than kept it as a collectible. I do not have the box or manual.

What is the best way to determine its value. I was thinking about trading it in on a Mark III but don't want the dealer to take advantage of me (its bad enough when trading in a car)!

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
No way would I trade in a Single Six with that serial number. Myself, I would keep it, but if you want to sell it, at least advertise it and see what kind of offers you get. Condition, as always, is everything, but just the fact that it is such an early gun will attract interest.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
I'd hang on to it too.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Being a collector of old models, I would keep the revolver. If you don't collect, then I would try and sell it to a collector who would probably pay you more than it would bring as a trade-in to a dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got a Ruger Flatgate #16327. Mfg 1955. I don't have the original grips...it came with Mother of Pearl grips. I'd keep yours and buy the Mark lll with a credit card and make payments if you have to. Just sayin'

·
Registered
1 Posts
single six

I own #458, I got it from original owner 25 years ago, main body turning a nice plum,lower frame has been overly rubbed down and is mostly silver. shoots great is there any interest in purchase of this firearm? I've told to hold on to it, but rather have a double action revolver with swing out cylinder.

·
Registered
760 Posts
HANG ON TO IT!!! Please post pictures when you can.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I own #458, I got it from original owner 25 years ago, main body turning a nice plum,lower frame has been overly rubbed down and is mostly silver. shoots great is there any interest in purchase of this firearm? I've told to hold on to it, but rather have a double action revolver with swing out cylinder.
Ted - what are you looking for in a DA revolver? I may have something I'd trade with you for that flatgate.

Wave

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
You have a "keeper"!

Original, collector condition Type I Flatgate Single-Sixes can go for as much as $1000 . . . particularly three-digit specimens. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. The actual condition of your piece will mitigate the price, of course, but the fact that it's a three-digit piece can offset quite a bit of "normal" wear if not serious.

Pictures would be of considerable interest here.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I agree with Ale-8, that sounds like a NICE gun, a "keeper", we have #274 and its in the box about new and we turned down $1500 for it,its NOT for sale....condition is very important, as well as it being ALL original................

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wondering if the value of these has gone up or down in the last few years. I have sn 228. Seems to be in pretty good condition. No box. Took it out shooting a few times...it does not go bang every time trigger is pulled. Light hammer strikes? Think I read somewhere that it may just need cleaned, but not sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Value of a three-digit Single-Six cannot help but increase. As mentioned, condition will be a consideration, but unless it's total junk it's worth quite a bit.

Hermit, your gun likely just needs a good cleaning.

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Ale-8(1),
Not mint, but not bad condition. Pictures attached. Some holster wear. ....just remove the grips to clean? I've had all of my long guns dissassembled (aaand reassembled, they all still work...no extra pieces). But I'm not real familiar with revolvers.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Hermit - you have a gem on your hands. I agree w Ale-8(1), likely a good deep cleaning will cure any issues.

Nice pix.....and thx for sharing!

·
Exchequer
4,602 Posts
Not trying to be a buzzkill, but the OP posted only one time and it was over 6 years ago. Don't think he's going to respond to any of us.

·
Exchequer
4,602 Posts
Not trying to be a buzzkill, but the OP posted only one time and it was over 6 years ago. Don't think he's going to respond to any of us.
hig - I label thee a buzzkill.......lol.
AllynM, you just made me chuckle. Think the mods here will give me a buzzkill badge now?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts