Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a Delux Sporter for $257 at my lgs. It was between 80-90% and I though it was priced a bit high. Any thoughts?

I bought it!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I do think 10/22s of that era had a nicer fit and finish and overall quality, compared to any 10/22 you can buy, today. I also enjoy my old 10/22s for sentimental reasons. Those were some great years for Rugers and every time I pick up my '65 carbine, it brings back memories. My mid 80s SD is a dream to handle and shoot.

On the other hand, those old ones aren't collectible (at least at this time), nor could you prove they shoot more accurately than current 10/22s. In that respect, a 10/22 is still a 10/22.

Given a choice between a mint 10/22 of that vintage, especially a Sporter, and a new 10/22, you can probably guess which I would pick, but that's me. I'm a sucker for those old Rugers.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do think 10/22s of that era had a nicer fit and finish and overall quality, compared to any 10/22 you can buy, today. I also enjoy my old 10/22s for sentimental reasons. Those were some great years for Rugers and every time I pick up my '65 carbine, it brings back memories. My mid 80s SD is a dream to handle and shoot.

On the other hand, those old ones aren't collectible (at least at this time), nor could you prove they shoot more accurately than current 10/22s. In that respect, a 10/22 is still a 10/22.

Given a choice between a mint 10/22 of that vintage, especially a Sporter, and a new 10/22, you can probably guess which I would pick, but that's me. I'm a sucker for those old Rugers.
I agree and if it was $200 I would have bought it on the spot.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Depends...one person's 80-90% is different to another. For me, with a Delux Sporter I pay much more attention to the condition of the stock than any of the metal. The metal parts are easily swapped around to have better ones where as a stock...you're kinda stuck with what ya get. Of course at this point, I see 10/22 as projects unless they're an older RBI model or early one (5 digit or less). For that purpose, a project, I have $175 as a high point.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depends...one person's 80-90% is different to another. For me, with a Delux Sporter I pay much more attention to the condition of the stock than any of the metal. The metal parts are easily swapped around to have better ones where as a stock...you're kinda stuck with what ya get. Of course at this point, I see 10/22 as projects unless they're an older RBI model or early one (5 digit or less). For that purpose, a project, I have $175 as a high point.
Thats what I came up with. But I also know he will get what he is asking. It was marked down from $280.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree. If by 80-90% we're just talking some bluing wear on the barrel and small silvery streaks on the metal then I'd say it's a fair deal. But if that number comes from a bunch of nicks and dents in the wood then I'd pass. With the available spray-on coatings from Brownells it's relatively easy to make the metal look new again, but refinishing a wood stock is a long and laborious process.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. If by 80-90% we're just talking some bluing wear on the barrel and small silvery streaks on the metal then I'd say it's a fair deal. But if that number comes from a bunch of nicks and dents in the wood then I'd pass. With the available spray-on coatings from Brownells it's relatively easy to make the metal look new again, but refinishing a wood stock is a long and laborious process.
Its both wood and metal. Nothing major but a lot of little dings. It looks used but not abused. I've checked the Blue Book and it prices it at about $180 but I see them going in the $300 range on Gunbroker. I'm looking at bids not asking.

I'm going to call them in the morning and make an offer on it and a new Single Ten. The NIB Single Ten is $457.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm comparing the stock color on the Delux Sporter to the Fingergroove Sporter and the DS is more red in color like mahogany. How does that compare to others out there?

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to those that replied. I was worried my stock had been stained but I guess nothing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts