Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day all.

I've been a Ruger owner for years and a lurker here for the most part.

Have a Gunsite Scout, MKIII Competition, Single Six, Mini-14 and just traded a 1989 boat paddle 77/22 All Weather for a 1999 boat paddle 77/22 Magnum All Weather.

Have been looking casually for a M77 30-06, missed and opportunity on a beautiful boat paddle version a number of years ago at a Cabela's in Grand Junction.

Found one that popped up at a local shop, a MK II boat paddle but it was a little high priced and I passed.

Well, went by a smaller LGS to pick up some 22 mag rounds and found a 1976 MK77 with a period correct Weaver 4 power on it that's immaculate. I doubt it had anything beyond the sighting rounds through it.

Price is good too I believe, right at $600.

I've done a number of hours reading all that I can on the original MK series rifles and I'm not expecting this one to be a bench target rifle, but would like it to shoot well for my ability, which is fair to middlin' most days :)

There is literally one little pressure mark on the stock along with a faint rub mark that will most likely polish out.

Bolt, chamber, barrel and metal all perfect. I swear this one lived in a safe for the last 40 years.

So...should I?

Worst case scenario I end up with a beautiful rifle that needs a little TLC to bring the groups in, best case scenario I fire off ~20 rounds and fall even more madly in love with this 40 year old looker.

Thank you in advance!

Allen from Colorado

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thats a fine rifle Allen! It would have come home with me!
Today or Monday at least put some money down on it till you come to your sense's:)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yep a real beauty!! I sure would buy it for $600. Looks like beautiful wood too. They were much nicer than what is offered these days. Recall the one my friend had back in the late 70s. His was chambered in .257 Roberts. Very nice gun indeed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the words of support and encouragement, they only reinforce what I felt when I saw this beautiful Ruger, picked it up, cycled the action and brought it to my shoulder.

That it would be coming home to live with me.

There's just something about older rifles, a solid, warm quality to the wood and metal work and this M77 has it all.

I'll be there on Monday morning making it official. Most likely laying it away for a month or so as I just purchased a beautiful Marlin from 1964 recently.

Really looking forward to the final purchase and trip to the range. My other 30-06 is a gorgeous Winchester Model of 1917, these two will get along just fine.

The Weaver K4 that sits atop the receiver doesn't even have a scratch and the optics are very clear, just the lenses were quite dusty from safe storage.

I'd love to find a higher magnification and slightly more modern option that has the very cool aesthetics of scopes from that era. Any suggestions on where to look and what models? Something blued as deeply as the rifle would be beautiful.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Is it worth that much to YOU is the main question. That would be too much money in my area. Used Ruger rifles sit on LGS shelves around here for long periods of time it seems. I had pretty much the EXACT rifle you describe last year. Had to take $450 for it to move it

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Beautiful rifle. What's not to like?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update.

Went by yesterday and took a long, hard look at the Ruger M77 in question.

It's as good lookin' as I remember and apparently flawless in every respect.

But I didn't pull the trigger. Yet.

The other contender is a CZ 550 in 30-06, the one that I thought I'd be coming across.

So, it's a 40 year old beautiful rifle that may shoot well, or may not or a newer Czech beauty that I know will shoot really, really well and is crafted wonderfully.

If the price on the Ruger would have been a bit lower, I'd be even more tempted but not sure I want to pay a premium for a rifle that I might have to invest more into.

A good quandary to have :)

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
Update.

Went by yesterday and took a long, hard look at the Ruger M77 in question.

It's as good lookin' as I remember and apparently flawless in every respect.

But I didn't pull the trigger. Yet.

The other contender is a CZ 550 in 30-06, the one that I thought I'd be coming across.

So, it's a 40 year old beautiful rifle that may shoot well, or may not or a newer Czech beauty that I know will shoot really, really well and is crafted wonderfully.

If the price on the Ruger would have been a bit lower, I'd be even more tempted but not sure I want to pay a premium for a rifle that I might have to invest more into.

A good quandary to have :)
I know this is heresy on a Ruger forum but I own both Ruger and CZ rifles and have no doubt. CZ rifles are better made, more accurate and with tighter quality control at the factory, leading to smoother operation with all parts fitting together better. I would buy the CZ.

·
Registered
267 Posts
IraqVeteran8888 recently did a "Gun Gripes" episode, " Don't Make Them Like They Used To". Talked a lot Rugers and CZ and I'd say that '76 was definitely one to jump on.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
You want something you KNOW will shoot.........buy the CZ. If just a Ruger guy and would rather have the 77, you obviously already know the possibilities or this wouldn't be a question..........LOL!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a tough choice as I'll probably not find another Ruger like this, or it would be a rarity indeed but I can probably count on picking up a beautiful CZ.

I love handling a 40 year old rifle that looks like it was produced last week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's a nice looking rifle, and the wood is well above average. I love old M77's. I'd snatch that gun up. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An update on the Ruger.

After much research and soul-searching, I'm pretty sure I'll let this one go to another good home.

If my budget were unlimited, I'd pick it up for it's beautiful look, but I really want a rifle that will shoot great and have all of the Mauser'ish old world qualities as well.

The CZ 550 is looking like the winner in this race.

But, if it sits for a bit and the price comes down a bit, I might have to change my tune :)

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I know that CZ makes some very nice rifles. But the Ruger M77 in 30/06 that you have been looking at to me is every bit as good of a rifle compared to the CZ. The Ruger M77 Tang safety model is a Mauser type of action that's as smooth as any rifle out there. This rifle is in immaculate condition. If this rifle was a .270 or .243 I would make the trip to Colorado to buy it. I had a Ruger M77 Tang safety in .270 still wished I had it. Quite fussing around you can always pick up a CZ but a nice wood stocked Ruger M77 Tang safety rifles are hard to find. This Model is the best Ruger Bolt rifle period!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know that CZ makes some very nice rifles. But the Ruger M77 in 30/06 that you have been looking at to me is every bit as good of a rifle compared to the CZ. The Ruger M77 Tang safety model is a Mauser type of action that's as smooth as any rifle out there. This rifle is in immaculate condition. If this rifle was a .270 or .243 I would make the trip to Colorado to buy it. I had a Ruger M77 Tang safety in .270 still wished I had it. Quite fussing around you can always pick up a CZ but a nice wood stocked Ruger M77 Tang safety rifles are hard to find. This Model is the best Ruger Bolt rifle period!!!
I strongly agree!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts