Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a really clean remington 870 for 2 3/4 shells it was made in 1977,any of you guys own one of these?how do you like it?i know its old but it was real nice looking compared to any of the new pumps i seen,ill use it as an all round fun gun.

· Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
Congratulations on a great find. The 870 is a great shotgun and the Wingmaster an especially nice version. And 1977 is not really so old all in all. Probably better craftsmanship from that era and before than today. I'd say you did well!

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im in ireland so it was a great fing i think,its such a fine looking gun!a new 870 pump cost 550 to 600 euro here i got this wing master for 400 but whoever had her before me took real good care of her.:D

· Ruger Tinkerer
11,901 Posts
I would rather have a nice older example than a new one. I'll bet your wood is nicer - much more difficult to get nice wood on a new shotgun these days. So I would say you did especially well - better shotgun for less money. That's a good thing!

· Registered
1,247 Posts
I have a 20" 12ga. 870 Wingmaster made in 1979 (according to the serial number). It has been hand etched for the Georgia State Patrol so I suppose that at one time this was a patrol car gun. I got it from a Sporting Goods store here in Oregon back in 1990 when they bought a batch of used shotguns and put them on sale.

I've added some stuff to it; extended magazine, folding stock, different fore-end & light. This gun shoots great. I think I'll wear out long before this great old 870 will.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the pump shotgun can hold 2+1 in ireland unless you get a restricted license so it can carry more ammo,that would mean buying a monitored alarm for the house and you have to convine a police chief why you really need the shotgun to hold more than 3 shells:(

· Registered
6,450 Posts
Remington 870 and 1100 have been around, mechanically unchanged, since the '50s. Both my sons and I are avid bird hunters and have been shooting 1100s and 870s for many years. I would say that the 870 is, arguably, a finer shotgun in several respects than the highly touted old Winchester Model 12.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will use it for birds,clays,rabbits and the odd fox,its got a 28inch barrel with no rib just a front bead,do you think this would be the original barrel?

· Registered
6,450 Posts

I will use it for birds,clays,rabbits and the odd fox,its got a 28inch barrel with no rib just a front bead,do you think this would be the original barrel?
I would guess it is. The 870 is still made with either a ribbed barrel or plain barrel. If it has the Remington roll markings on the barrel, and a brass or aluminum bead, it's most likely original. Plan to shoot it, enjoy it, and give it to you grand kids:)

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has a brass bead,i looked at the wing master with 2 remington 870 express beside it,the difference in fit and finish is huge,i was stunned when remington emailed me and said the gun was made in 77 ,ithought it was about 10years old

· Registered
6,450 Posts

It has a brass bead,i looked at the wing master with 2 remington 870 express beside it,the difference in fit and finish is huge,i was stunned when remington emailed me and said the gun was made in 77 ,ithought it was about 10years old
It sounds like someone changed out the original barrel for an Express barrel, most likely because the newer barrel will have screw in chokes( which I'll bet yours has). The Express model is more of an entry level 870, so the barrel finish wouldn't match your original recievers finish. But the express is no less quality than the original.:)

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope it has no choke and is blued real nice like the receiver,its marked for 23/4 only

· Registered
5,008 Posts
I would say that the 870 is, arguably, a finer shotgun in several respects than the highly touted old Winchester Model 12.
I've owned and shot Model 12s and 870s and, although I love the 12, I can't argue the point. Really two different guns from two different production eras. The 12 was born in the era of machining every part and then hand fitting as needed; the 870 was born in the era of modular, replaceable parts that required little or no fitting. Both have their advantages, but like an old gunsmith I know once told me, "There is nothing as worn out as an old worn out Model 12. When they're dead, they're dead. You can replace parts on an 870, forever."

The heck of it is, even though I have always loved 12s, I've always shot 870s, better, especially the older vintages 870s.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cant wait to take it home,will probably be 6wks at least before the license comes in the post then i have pay 80e for the license and wait 3more days,then i can pick her up and shoot!i always wanted an 870 tactical but its hard to license one

· Registered
6,450 Posts
Good for you ! Enjoy it. And regarding the barrel, it is from the same time period as the receiver, but maybe was a replacement back then so has a different finish.

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it has a repair mark with XT beside it or XI and then the number 65 stamped near the receiver,remington said the 65 is an inspection mark

· Registered
128 Posts
Nice find! It'll bring you many, many years of shooting pleasure.

I love my 870 Wingmaster, it's a 1984 model and still running flawlessly with all original components. Personally I think the older models are of a slightly better quality, and as stated by other posters yours really isn't that old. A good friend of mine has one that he inherited from his grandfather, it's a 1956 model and functions as well as any I've ever seen, the only thing he's replaced is the barrel. More likely than not yours will become a family heirloom as well. Enjoy! :)

· Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it is rare to find an old gun in such great condition here,ill post pics as soon as i get it.anyone got a pictureof theres to put up?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.