Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a pre lock Smith 586 when I spotted a DW model 15-2 357 6" ribbed shroud barrel made in 1981. I didn't know much about the Dan Wesson revolvers until recently. I'm going to take a look at it later today. It's a Monson, Ma. gun that have a reputation as a tack drivers although it depends on who's holding the hammer I'm sure.;)

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,679 Posts
They are fantastic revolvers. Their double action pulls aren't as good as old S&W's ,but the single action trigger is a dream. The tension on the barrel provides excellent accuracy. I have shot several configurations of .357 magnum Dan Wesson guns with great results. I have owned a .22 with 6 and 8 inch barrels, and an 8 inch .44 magnum. I wish I still had them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it is in good shape snag it and don’t turn back.
I see fewer and fewer of them at gun shows. I need to make a better attempt at corralling up those I do see if the price isn’t obscene.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Luv to hear a bit more about them. When looking at various 22 and 357 revolvers I would frequently consider getting one. Something kind of appealing about being able to get one revolver with the capability with different barrel sizes. In the end for 22 and 357 I went a different route with something capable of firing different calibers. I do still look at various Dan Wesson revolvers from time to time however.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Between Ruger and Smiths, have owned dozens of 357 revolvers, but my 1979 vintage Dan has been one of the most accurate 357 I've ever shot. Grab it if you can. As mentioned, any Monson DWs are getting hard to find.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Between Ruger and Smiths, have owned dozens of 357 revolvers, but my 1979 vintage Dan has been one of the most accurate 357 I've ever shot. Grab it if you can. As mentioned, any Monson DWs are getting hard to find.

Very nice!!!

How can you tell if it's a Monson or not? Date range or some kind of stamp?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I had a 4" and passed it on to my daughter when as she was living alone and wanted something for protection.

I miss that revolver since it is now 800 miles away, but I do get visiting rights a couple of time a year.

I got a GP100, but I really miss that Dan Wesson.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is in good shape snag it and don’t turn back.
I see fewer and fewer of them at gun shows. I need to make a better attempt at corralling up those I do see if the price isn’t obscene.
Thanks for helping me make up my mind. I looked at it yesterday and it looked very good. It didn't show any blue wear and the barrel and forcing cone showed very little wear. No rust anywhere. I believe the BC gap needs adjusted as it measured no more than maybe.002 The trigger return spring had been changed to a Wolff competition spring and the trigger wouldn't return a few times without help. I think these issues can be corrected without a lot of work. I'm going for it because I don't think I'll ever see one for $500 OTD in better condition. I'll post a better photo when I get it home in a day or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Stonebuster, You are making a wise choice. There is a revolver in like condition at a local pawn shop. The asking price is $750 and the owner remains firm in spite of several offers.
I would be all over it for $500.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Great choice, you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Thanks for helping me make up my mind. I looked at it yesterday and it looked very good. It didn't show any blue wear and the barrel and forcing cone showed very little wear. No rust anywhere. I believe the BC gap needs adjusted as it measured no more than maybe.002 The trigger return spring had been changed to a Wolff competition spring and the trigger wouldn't return a few times without help. I think these issues can be corrected without a lot of work. I'm going for it because I don't think I'll ever see one for $500 OTD in better condition. I'll post a better photo when I get it home in a day or two.

There is a correct feeler gauge tool for setting the barrel gap when you install the barrel on the frame. If this doesn't come with one, you can buy the gauge and the barrel wrench from the CZ-USA or Dan Wesson web stores.

They do still make barrels to fit these.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Congrats. I've owned two DW's over the years. Great revolvers but I ended up selling mine for other revolvers I really wanted. I recommend you check out the guys at the Dan Wesson forum, as they can help you out with any questions you might have. And see if you can find an original spring... I remember messing with one of mine and getting light strikes issues.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Monson, Mass is stamped on side and they are excellent shooters. I would recommend getting the barrel tool (wrench) and the shim from EWK to periodically check the forcing cone to cylinder gap with the shim and keep barrel tightened. Also there are some barrels for sale of different lengths that can give you versatile handguns with one frame. Enjoy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Monson, Mass is stamped on side and they are excellent shooters. I would recommend getting the barrel tool (wrench) and the shim from EWK to periodically check the forcing cone to cylinder gap with the shim and keep barrel tightened. Also there are some barrels for sale of different lengths that can give you versatile handguns with one frame. Enjoy it.
Sweet looking gun jeepnut711. I picked her up today. It doesn't really have a gap right now. The barrel tool is ordered and I'm hoping the cylinder dragging on barrel is the cause of very bad DA. I've got the gauges I need. When I release the cylinder latch I've got to guide the cylinder out(hold it back) or it will just free fall/flop out. I never had a revolver that did that. What might be the cause? I don't believe I ever saw a deeper, darker blue before on a revolver.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
I own a stainless 357 with the 2.5, 4, 6 and 8 inch barrel. I bought it in the early 80's and added the barrels. I use the 4 inch most of the time.

I bought a 44 mag with a 4 inch barrel. In 2007 I was in Iraq and sent an email to DW if they would make me a 2.5 inch for it. They replied at that time they do not make a 2.5, shortest was the 4 inch. I said ok and sent some pictures from Iraq and asked them if they had any questions about I ran. They replied saying they will make the barrel for it.

I knew there were some out there I appreciate them doing it for me. (with shroud of course)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve wanted a Dan Wesson for years and finally found one this past March. Model 15-2 with an 8” vent heavy barrel. I own several Smith and Wesson 357 revolvers and love them all. But the Dan Wesson has the lightest trigger pull, both single and double action. Finish is a little worn on this one but it is a sweet shooter.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts