Ruger Forum banner

1981 Dan Wesson model 15-2 357 mag

16K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  silverback13 
#1 ·
I was looking for a pre lock Smith 586 when I spotted a DW model 15-2 357 6" ribbed shroud barrel made in 1981. I didn't know much about the Dan Wesson revolvers until recently. I'm going to take a look at it later today. It's a Monson, Ma. gun that have a reputation as a tack drivers although it depends on who's holding the hammer I'm sure.;)

#2 ·
They are fantastic revolvers. Their double action pulls aren't as good as old S&W's ,but the single action trigger is a dream. The tension on the barrel provides excellent accuracy. I have shot several configurations of .357 magnum Dan Wesson guns with great results. I have owned a .22 with 6 and 8 inch barrels, and an 8 inch .44 magnum. I wish I still had them.

#11 ·
Thanks for helping me make up my mind. I looked at it yesterday and it looked very good. It didn't show any blue wear and the barrel and forcing cone showed very little wear. No rust anywhere. I believe the BC gap needs adjusted as it measured no more than maybe.002 The trigger return spring had been changed to a Wolff competition spring and the trigger wouldn't return a few times without help. I think these issues can be corrected without a lot of work. I'm going for it because I don't think I'll ever see one for $500 OTD in better condition. I'll post a better photo when I get it home in a day or two.

Attachments

#4 ·
Luv to hear a bit more about them. When looking at various 22 and 357 revolvers I would frequently consider getting one. Something kind of appealing about being able to get one revolver with the capability with different barrel sizes. In the end for 22 and 357 I went a different route with something capable of firing different calibers. I do still look at various Dan Wesson revolvers from time to time however.

#8 ·
I had a 4" and passed it on to my daughter when as she was living alone and wanted something for protection.

I miss that revolver since it is now 800 miles away, but I do get visiting rights a couple of time a year.

I got a GP100, but I really miss that Dan Wesson.

#12 ·
Stonebuster, You are making a wise choice. There is a revolver in like condition at a local pawn shop. The asking price is $750 and the owner remains firm in spite of several offers.
I would be all over it for $500.

#15 ·
Congrats. I've owned two DW's over the years. Great revolvers but I ended up selling mine for other revolvers I really wanted. I recommend you check out the guys at the Dan Wesson forum, as they can help you out with any questions you might have. And see if you can find an original spring... I remember messing with one of mine and getting light strikes issues.

#16 ·
Monson, Mass is stamped on side and they are excellent shooters. I would recommend getting the barrel tool (wrench) and the shim from EWK to periodically check the forcing cone to cylinder gap with the shim and keep barrel tightened. Also there are some barrels for sale of different lengths that can give you versatile handguns with one frame. Enjoy it.

Attachments

#17 ·
Sweet looking gun jeepnut711. I picked her up today. It doesn't really have a gap right now. The barrel tool is ordered and I'm hoping the cylinder dragging on barrel is the cause of very bad DA. I've got the gauges I need. When I release the cylinder latch I've got to guide the cylinder out(hold it back) or it will just free fall/flop out. I never had a revolver that did that. What might be the cause? I don't believe I ever saw a deeper, darker blue before on a revolver.

Attachments

#18 ·
I own a stainless 357 with the 2.5, 4, 6 and 8 inch barrel. I bought it in the early 80's and added the barrels. I use the 4 inch most of the time.

I bought a 44 mag with a 4 inch barrel. In 2007 I was in Iraq and sent an email to DW if they would make me a 2.5 inch for it. They replied at that time they do not make a 2.5, shortest was the 4 inch. I said ok and sent some pictures from Iraq and asked them if they had any questions about I ran. They replied saying they will make the barrel for it.

I knew there were some out there I appreciate them doing it for me. (with shroud of course)

#20 ·
I’ve wanted a Dan Wesson for years and finally found one this past March. Model 15-2 with an 8” vent heavy barrel. I own several Smith and Wesson 357 revolvers and love them all. But the Dan Wesson has the lightest trigger pull, both single and double action. Finish is a little worn on this one but it is a sweet shooter.

Attachments

#21 ·
Back in the late 70's and early 80's most of the metallic silhouette shooters I ran with used DW's. Of course, they all polished the innards for the perfect SA let-off but they were super accurate. I shot several, belonging to friends, and found the double-action pull did not measure up to my Mod 19 S&W. For the usage they were getting they were probably the best choice. As a defensive firearm, they were only slightly less capable than the S&W b/c of the OTB DA roughness.

#22 · (Edited)
I'm one of those guys mentioned who enjoys the Dan Wessons and all the goodies.

I shoot mostly 100 yard plus silhouette type steel, gongs, and bells. I have the old porkchop, a scoped ss 715, as well as several of the 357 Super Mags. The Super Mags are the cat's meow for hard hitting accuracy at distance with very little of the mad recoil of the 44 magnums. They seem to have been built for this specific purpose task and are behemoths.

The bluing is gorgeous, but I am a real fan of the purple that many of the blues turn into.

Search and order all kinds of barrel lengths without going through the LGS or the paperwork. Delivered to your door step.

Increasing in value every day and seen less and less. Fun , fun, fun to pull a barrel and replace in under minutes. Set the B/C gap where ever you like.

This guy, Dan Wesson, knew his stuff, like grandpa. It was sad when the family had to come back in and take over; and then lose the company.

My pieces are treasured heirlooms that will be in the family until it is no more.

Prescut
I loved Shan above comparing them to the model 19, one of the best revolvers ever made.

#23 ·
For you guys that own older DWs: Are your gun's yoke under any sort of tension to keep it from falling free if you don't guide it out of the frame after releasing the latch? My Smiths have the yoke screws and my Rugers are tight enough they don't flop over when the cylinder latch is released. I didn't know much about DWs until a week ago and I'm trying to catch up.

#31 ·
My DW now (and I have had 3 others) all have a snug cylinder fit and I have to push out. Not sure what might cause the issue as the latch and the cylinder ball that fits in the frame are the only things I am aware of. Might check them. The one I pictured here is very smooth in either DA or SA. Glad yours is shooting accurately.

#24 ·
I didn't see where you mentioned a price, but they are beautiful guns. One of the first guns I ever bought, and maybe even the first, was a 15-2 blued, in 6 inch. gorgeous condition. I worked at an auto parts store, young and green as they come. The owner traded a lot in guns and knew I wanted to begin my collection, but being a broke kid, it was tough. So a customer comes in needing quick cash, and knew we handled guns. My owner could have grabbed it, but was kind and directed him to me. I got the gun, a Buck General knife, and a hand tooled gunbelt with matching holster and scabbard. The whole rig...$150. likely the best deal I ever landed, for anything.

#25 ·
Well I still haven't found a deal like that! The seller was asking $500. We settled on $300 cash and a non firearm item that was collecting dust in my house he wanted. Since I needed the barrel tool, he ordered one and will send it to me. I'm happy, he's happy, good deal.:thumbsup:

#26 ·
The Dan Wesson tool is not only used for the barrel, it has the correct hex wrenches for adjusting the rear sight and replacing the front sight. CZ/DW sells a great fiber optic front sight blade for the medium frame DW revolvers (fits the .22 and .357 models, not certain about the .44 Mag).

#27 ·
I got the barrel tool yesterday and reset the gap and headed to the range. I shot off the bench at 30ft and it it shot clover leaves. SA is awesome DA not so good. After 40 rounds the cylinder stop fell out of the side plate landing on the bench. End of range trip. Luckily I found it, went home, put some red Loctite on it and put it back in the side plate with the plate off. Then the ejector rod wouldn't stay screwed in so I used blue loctite on it. On closer inspection on the inside of the side plate I found a hairline crack started at the hole for the stop and traveling and stopping where the plate curves down. It's only visible from the backside but it most likely will travel sooner or later. So it's a work in progress. The good news is the barrel came off easily and I found a DW walnut target grip on ebay for $18.95 that looks practically new. For some reason, I was the only bidder. She's old and falling apart but looks great, like me.:D

Attachments

#29 ·
Can the side plate be welded or repaired? It would be very hard to find a used one with screw holes that match the ones in my frame. If I did I'd have to send it to the CZ factory for fitting. Is there anything I could use to help keep the crack from traveling?

#32 · (Edited)
Well I did it. I couldn't let go if my curiosity over the dan wesson. I have been looking off and on...on gunbroker. The other day I saw one examined the pics for days. It looked like an estate gun that had never been shot.
Contacted seller and yea it was an estate sale.
I just picked it up from my FFL. This gun is in absolutely brand.new condition. Never been shot. finish is something to behold. It is a 6 inch heavy vented barrel that balances nice in hand with the presentation grips it came with. The single action trigger is very nice. The double a bit heavy but so smooth. Once this gun gets broken in the triggers are going to very very nice. I almost dont want to shoot it but that's what guns are for. I cant wait to be able to get some free time to take it to the range. Very happy with my purchase. The paper that came with it says 1978 but I need to find a serial number search.

Attachments

#34 ·
That's a gem you found. There's a serial number registry on the Dan Wesson Forum website you can research. Owners with documentation on their revolvers have posted dates of manufacture and serial numbers. In case you're not aware, be very careful not to scratch the side plate with ejector star. Most DWs have scratches on the side plate from star. If you hit the cylinder stop too hard when ejecting you can knock the stop out of the side plate. I had to red locktite mine to keep it in. Good luck with your 15-2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.