Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1988 Redhawk 5.5" 44 Mag - Grips

I recently purchased a used 1988 Redhawk 5.5" 44 Mag. It was pretty scratched up but I managed to sand and buff out about 99.9% of it and now it looks great! Almost like new. This thing has lock-up better than either of my other 2 Redhawks (a 2011 5003 and a 2014 5027). And the balance is awesome compared to the 7.5". I think it might be my new favorite.

Anyways ... my question is this ... I noticed that it has real, what appears to be, walnut grips (that are actually in great shape except for one ding on bottom of the left panel) and not the laminated wood ones that come on the newer models. These walnut grips are considerably thicker than the laminated wood ones on my other 2 Redhawks. When did Ruger start putting the thinner grips on the Redawks? I actually like the thicker ones better as I have large hands and they fill my hand a tad more which enables better control.

I wonder if it is possible to get these thicker ones from anywhere. Apparently Ruger no longer makes them as I ordered some of their factory wood grips for my KRH-454 (5027) since it had the Hogue on it and the ones I got were the thinner, laminated ones just like on my 2011 7.5". It sure would be nice to get some thicker ones for the other 2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Please say you've taken before and after pix. There's nothing better than seeing a great restoration job on a revolver. I am in the process of making my own Redhawk grips out of quilted maple. I will post pix when completed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well sort of ... I have before pix, but they're of poor lighting. You can see all the little scratches that came out with the sanding/buffing, but they could be better. I'll see if I can take some worthy after pix and post both sets for comparison.

BTW, what is quilted maple? Word working with maple is a challenge. I know. I tried it once. You must have some skill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts