Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
my wife just got me a like new 1988 ruger p85 for my birth day in nov, i am very fond of this gun because the p85 was the first auto pistol i ever owned. i sold it many years ago and have regretted it. so when my wife and i were in our local gun shop to go to the range, yes my wife likes to shoot:D i seen the old p85 sitting there for 299.00 and i started drooling. long story short she got it for my 39th birthday. i am aware of the safety recall and have already sent it off to prescot ar to be fitted with a new safety and firing pin. my question is has anybody on the forum had to do this with there p85,s and how long did it take??? i have only ran 150rds through it before i sent it in and im itching to get it back, hopefully before xmas:eek: the gun is like new, there was no wear marks on the frame rails or slide so i dont think it was shot much and it is very accurate at 20yds, the full length of our indoor pistol range.
any info would be great thanks in advance
diesel3

· Registered
575 Posts
All of my dealings with Ruger's Customer Service/Warranty Department have been very expeditiously handed by them; while turn-around times could be affected by some of the massive previous recalls (i.e., the SR9 triggers, etc.) as far as I know they're not dealing with anything of that magnitude currently.

I'd give 'em a couple of weeks, and then politely call them for a update if you don't have it back.

Enjoy your P85 when it comes back-let us know how it shoots. The mods will have no negative effect on triggerpull or shootability.

Best, Jon

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will due, i understand they may be busy. i am quite impressed by the fact that they paid shipping both ways and are fixing a 24year old gun for free. you cant beat ruger in my opinion, a great company. i do love the dependability and quality of ruger, especally the old p series pistols they last forever. i ordered a set of hogue grips for my p85 so as soon as it gets back im going to put them on. i plan on using my p85 for my cc gun so im glad i found out about the safety recall, even thoe the gun was functioning fine i didnt want any chance of a accidental discharge

· Registered
3,766 Posts
Always glad someone else has a P85. Bought mine new just a few years ago. I was mailed the recall notice because I was the original owner. When it returned from Ruger, I had a brand new 15 round mag in the box. Gun fixed, free mag makes for a great day. Still have her and still take out shooting. This is my training gun for newbys. No one has ever broke it. It is a tank and a great gun. Hope you enjoy when yours return.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Always glad someone else has a P85. Bought mine new just a few years ago. I was mailed the recall notice because I was the original owner. When it returned from Ruger, I had a brand new 15 round mag in the box. Gun fixed, free mag makes for a great day. Still have her and still take out shooting. This is my training gun for newbys. No one has ever broke it. It is a tank and a great gun. Hope you enjoy when yours return.
thanks, as i stated i purchased my first p85 in 1994 for my first hand gun purchase and i loved it. but as so many young people do, i sold it/traded it in on a colt series 80 .45acp. i have owned several p 89,s and a few p 90,s all stainless but i still had a soft spot for my first p series a blue p 85 pre mk2 witch is what i have now. i hope ruger sends me a new mag back but if they dont im ok with that, they are fixing a 24 year old gun for free:D. i have 1 original ruger 15rd mag and 2 mecgar 17rd mags, all work fine. im just chomping at the bit to get back to the range with it after i put my new hogue wraparound grips on that i ordered from midway usa. the p series is a tank, ive never had, seen , or herd of one failing
thanks for all the replies:D

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im going to loose my mind, i sent my p85 in for the recall and im chomping at the bit to get her back! i ordered a set of hogue grips and 3 mecgar mags from midway usa at the same time i sent my gun in for safety recall. my parts are here now all i need is the gun back lol.
ruger has only had it a week, so i prob have at least another week of waiting witch is cool but im ready to get that knock on the door from ups. hope it gets here soon

· Registered
852 Posts
My very first pistol was the P85 (blued). I bought it new in 1989. I ended up giving it to my brother (because his wife didn't like guns and wouldn't let his get one....yeah...I was real popular with her). I bought the P90 so I didn't need the 9mm anymore. Anyway, Ruger sent me the recall notice (in '91 or '92) on the P85. I had to pay the shipping to them but they paid for the return and supplied me with a spare magazine. If I remember correctly, they had it for 3 or 4 weeks before it was returned.

I bought the Ruger because, at the time, I had a subscription to Guns&Ammo and they did a torture test (10,000 rounds through each gun) between the Ruger, S&W and Glock 9mm. The review favored the Glock by a hair but the reliability of the Ruger was just as good as the Glock plus the Ruger was much more inexpensive. I went with the Ruger and never regretted it. Didn't like S&W's (My buddy had a S&W and it was always jamming and the rounds were all over the place on the target....very sloppy construction).

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i actually remember that guns and ammo article on the torture test of the p85, i guess im starting to show my age . i love my p85. i also have a kimber custom2 that is mostly wilson combat lol and a taurus pt92 stainless.

· Registered
852 Posts
i actually remember that guns and ammo article on the torture test of the p85, i guess im starting to show my age . i love my p85. i also have a kimber custom2 that is mostly wilson combat lol and a taurus pt92 stainless.
I don't remember what year (or decade) that article was published but I recall that the author ended up firing 30,000 rounds for the test. He had to apply a bandage to his trigger finger because he blistered his digit from so many rounds down range. I was impressed with the Ruger since it held a tight grouping and they even went into the minutia of how the firing pin impacted the primer of each round. The S&W would "Hit" and "Drag" leaving a gouge in the primer. Not to mention, the placement onto the primer (for the S&W) was all over the place. The Ruger's firing pin imprint was always in the same spot and was a nice, clean circle every time. The Glock was the same way, but the Ruger price was what sold me on my purchase.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got my p85 back today, i am a happy camper with a new safety, firing pin and firing pin spring. i opted for ruger to pay postage/shipping both ways so i didnt get a free mag. but im just glad they will stand behind there products, even if they are 24 years old. they work fast! they only had my gun 1 week. i will have to wait untill friday to give a range report, but they fired 20rds of 115gr black hills ammo for the test fire so im not worried. will post range results fri
diesel

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
still on the money, i ran 100 rds through it today. then i went to wally world and seen that they were out of just about ALL AMMO and wish i would have just saved my ammo. they didnt have 1 single 9mm round, let alone any 45acp. here we go again with the ammo scare. oh well my p85 still runs perfect as i expected it too, even after the recall on the safety and firing pin

· Registered
1,259 Posts
Glad that you got your P85 back, and that you are satisied with Ruger CS.

The first Ruger I bought was a P85 and in 1990, yep it was recalled. However, due to the great customer service and a great product, I still have that tack-driver today. BTW, I have also picked several other Ruger products, in many ways due to my initial CS contact with Ruger last century.

Enjoy your P85. They certainly don't build them like that anymore....

· Registered
276 Posts
I have a P89 that I bought very lightly used. I agree that the early p series are great guns and have the durability sought by Ruger. I carry mine too because of the point and shoot that mine has shown me plus fact it will function properly for the next hundred years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.