Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
my wife just got me a like new 1988 ruger p85 for my birth day in nov, i am very fond of this gun because the p85 was the first auto pistol i ever owned. i sold it many years ago and have regretted it. so when my wife and i were in our local gun shop to go to the range, yes my wife likes to shoot:D i seen the old p85 sitting there for 299.00 and i started drooling. long story short she got it for my 39th birthday. i am aware of the safety recall and have already sent it off to prescot ar to be fitted with a new safety and firing pin. my question is has anybody on the forum had to do this with there p85,s and how long did it take??? i have only ran 150rds through it before i sent it in and im itching to get it back, hopefully before xmas:eek: the gun is like new, there was no wear marks on the frame rails or slide so i dont think it was shot much and it is very accurate at 20yds, the full length of our indoor pistol range.
any info would be great thanks in advance
diesel3

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will due, i understand they may be busy. i am quite impressed by the fact that they paid shipping both ways and are fixing a 24year old gun for free. you cant beat ruger in my opinion, a great company. i do love the dependability and quality of ruger, especally the old p series pistols they last forever. i ordered a set of hogue grips for my p85 so as soon as it gets back im going to put them on. i plan on using my p85 for my cc gun so im glad i found out about the safety recall, even thoe the gun was functioning fine i didnt want any chance of a accidental discharge

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Always glad someone else has a P85. Bought mine new just a few years ago. I was mailed the recall notice because I was the original owner. When it returned from Ruger, I had a brand new 15 round mag in the box. Gun fixed, free mag makes for a great day. Still have her and still take out shooting. This is my training gun for newbys. No one has ever broke it. It is a tank and a great gun. Hope you enjoy when yours return.
thanks, as i stated i purchased my first p85 in 1994 for my first hand gun purchase and i loved it. but as so many young people do, i sold it/traded it in on a colt series 80 .45acp. i have owned several p 89,s and a few p 90,s all stainless but i still had a soft spot for my first p series a blue p 85 pre mk2 witch is what i have now. i hope ruger sends me a new mag back but if they dont im ok with that, they are fixing a 24 year old gun for free:D. i have 1 original ruger 15rd mag and 2 mecgar 17rd mags, all work fine. im just chomping at the bit to get back to the range with it after i put my new hogue wraparound grips on that i ordered from midway usa. the p series is a tank, ive never had, seen , or herd of one failing
thanks for all the replies:D

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im going to loose my mind, i sent my p85 in for the recall and im chomping at the bit to get her back! i ordered a set of hogue grips and 3 mecgar mags from midway usa at the same time i sent my gun in for safety recall. my parts are here now all i need is the gun back lol.
ruger has only had it a week, so i prob have at least another week of waiting witch is cool but im ready to get that knock on the door from ups. hope it gets here soon

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i actually remember that guns and ammo article on the torture test of the p85, i guess im starting to show my age . i love my p85. i also have a kimber custom2 that is mostly wilson combat lol and a taurus pt92 stainless.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got my p85 back today, i am a happy camper with a new safety, firing pin and firing pin spring. i opted for ruger to pay postage/shipping both ways so i didnt get a free mag. but im just glad they will stand behind there products, even if they are 24 years old. they work fast! they only had my gun 1 week. i will have to wait untill friday to give a range report, but they fired 20rds of 115gr black hills ammo for the test fire so im not worried. will post range results fri
diesel

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
still on the money, i ran 100 rds through it today. then i went to wally world and seen that they were out of just about ALL AMMO and wish i would have just saved my ammo. they didnt have 1 single 9mm round, let alone any 45acp. here we go again with the ammo scare. oh well my p85 still runs perfect as i expected it too, even after the recall on the safety and firing pin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.