Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is in .243. I picked it up last year from an estate, along with the two .357 Timber Wolf pumps and an AMT 25/22 pictured elsewhere. I love the look and feel of the mk II, but don't get the fascination people seem to have with the 'boat paddle' stocks...

Attachments

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,843 Posts
I'm with you on the boat paddle stocks. Maybe the fans are also canoeists and appreciate the versatility. I would be dropping that into a Boyd's laminate stock (make mine pepper please) and be very happy.

(The boat paddlers are now gathering their torches and pitchforks....)

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
My 7 Mag has the Zytel stock. I purchased it in '93, it was Ruger's first attempt at making a rifle that was "impervious" to weather. I thought it was butt-ugly but viewed it as just another tool. Over the years I've come to appreciate it only because of others fascination with it. Would I buy more? Probably not, but I know I'll never sell this one.

If you want to bring the stock back to life hit it with some Ballistol.

Would you care to share what you paid for it? I'm just curious.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see the use for the Zytel stock in mountainous or rocky terrain...these things are tough, I'll give them that. If I ever get around to replacing it, I'll likely go with a Boyds Prairie Hunter in Walnut.
The guns in the estate had all been sitting idle for at least 20 years...some, like this one, had never been fired. I paid $500 CAD at the time, which was about $400 USD. There was a .270 (black inserts) there that went for the same $...I would have snagged it too, but I was all out of cash...felt like a poor kid in a candy store.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I'm with you on the boat paddle stocks. Maybe the fans are also canoeists and appreciate the versatility. I would be dropping that into a Boyd's laminate stock (make mine pepper please) and be very happy.

(The boat paddlers are now gathering their torches and pitchforks....)
Ha Ha. EXACTLY!! Torch and pitchfork equipped!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. The price was too good to pass up...if I'd had the cash, I would have bought the whole lot.

·
One Star
9,629 Posts
Great looking rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts